Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: House rules you use  (Read 14067 times)

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
Re: House rules you use
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 12:03:15 am »
+14

I give players 1 VP per Village, 2 VP per City, 2 VP's for the first player to get 5 Highways, 2 VP for the first to get three Soldiers, and 1 VP for each of Governor, University, Market, Library, and Chapel. In this particular Kingdom, 10 VP is usually enough to win.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 12:10:14 am »

I give players 1 VP per Village, 2 VP per City, 2 VP's for the first player to get 5 Highways, 2 VP for the first to get three Soldiers, and 1 VP for each of Governor, University, Market, Library, and Chapel. In this particular Kingdom, 10 VP is usually enough to win.
I have a similar scheme, but if someone gets more Highways or Soldiers I let them have those VP instead.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 12:12:48 am »

I have a similar scheme, but if someone gets more Highways or Soldiers I let them have those VP instead.

There are only 10 Highways and 5 Soldiers, so the first person to get 5/3 gets and keeps the points. Band of Misfits can be a Highway, but not a Soldier; maybe you're counting Knights, Militia, Mercenary, Champion, and other military types as soldiers?

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 02:39:13 am »

I definitely count Knights and Soldiers as equivalent for that purpose.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2016, 03:12:05 am »
+1

Make P/C a 25% chance of being in the game, no matter how many Prosperity cards there are.  So we can have them even if 0 Prosperity cards are in the Kingdom setup, or not have them if they're all Pros.

Ditto with Shelters and DA cards.

Throne Room does require players to be honest about having Action cards in hand to play.  One group, we just made it optional, like Kings Court.

For a game where the player with 5/2 split will be at a disadvantage, we have all players start with a 5/2 split.  One case comes to mind is a Supply with Lab + Chapel.

For a 4p tournament game, 2 randomizer cards were dealt face up into the center.  Each player got 5 cards.  Picked 2 to put face down, and discarded the rest.  Revealed the remaining 8 cards to get our Supply.

In another 4p tourney, 14 randomizer cards were dealt face up.  Each player, starting with the last player and going in reverse turn order got to "veto" a card.  Unfortunately, this made the whole ordeal of thinking through the game before the game even started  :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:13:13 am by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 09:45:09 am »
+6

If you don't draw any Land in your opening hand, you can call a mulligan. 

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 01:50:27 pm »

I could have used this in a recent game, I opened 5/2 on a board with no 2s and only Mine for a 5. Of course, as luck would have it my opponent also opened 5/2.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2016, 01:54:45 pm »

I could have used this in a recent game, I opened 5/2 on a board with no 2s and only Mine for a 5. Of course, as luck would have it my opponent also opened 5/2.

That would have been a great opportunity for the "if everyone takes a mulligan, everyone gets to draw up to 7" rule.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2016, 02:29:16 pm »
+1

Mine is not a terrible opening on most boards. It's slightly weaker than Trading Post, but has more longevity.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 02:42:16 pm »
+4

Games with 4 players end when 4+ piles are empty, not when 3+ piles are empty (this is the standard rule for 5+ player games).

Donald X on a related topic:

4 player games use 16 of each VP card and only end when 4 piles are empty instead of 3. Would make the game less of a sprint for VP.

I like the game length in terms of turns more with 4 Provinces per player, but made it 3 for 4 players due to the game length in terms of minutes. For sure if the minutes aren't an issue for you then 16 Provinces for 4 players is a good variant. I don't know what the best number of empty piles would be, I would have to do testing.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 01:33:08 am »

Games with 4 players end when 4+ piles are empty, not when 3+ piles are empty (this is the standard rule for 5+ player games).

Donald X on a related topic:

4 player games use 16 of each VP card and only end when 4 piles are empty instead of 3. Would make the game less of a sprint for VP.

I like the game length in terms of turns more with 4 Provinces per player, but made it 3 for 4 players due to the game length in terms of minutes. For sure if the minutes aren't an issue for you then 16 Provinces for 4 players is a good variant. I don't know what the best number of empty piles would be, I would have to do testing.
3.5 empty piles! :p  That would be annoying to keep track of though
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 01:09:25 pm »
+1

We stack the starting decks before playing. We also don't play with Black Market since it's a hassle to set up when you want 3+ identical tables for league play.

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2016, 04:03:49 am »

Events are shuffled into two separate piles. Once an event has been bought, it goes to a discard pile and the next is revealed. So theoretically you could play three or more different events in one turn, given enough coin.

This was adopted so we could see all the newfangled Event thingamies on our first round of Adventures. We tried one pile the first game, but it stalled when no-one wanted to buy a particular event (possibly Bonfire, because we're all rubbish at this game).

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2016, 09:51:07 am »

it stalled when no-one wanted to buy a particular event (possibly Bonfire, because we're all rubbish at this game.)

Hey, I can edge-case that. Maybe you're not all rubbish. Maybe you had already trashed all of your coppers by that time. And you weren't playing with Rats. Or Sea Hag once the curses pile out (gotta love throwing a "witch" on a bonfire.) Or it was an undisputable BM-X board which didn't want you to trash coppers.

Buy yeah, Bonfire is normally great. If your group doesn't like trashing, you're doing it wrong. I watched a non-beginner in my IRL playgroup veto Chapel recently and the rest of the table nearly rioted. Now we play with a "reserve" round before the veto round so each player gets to pick a card that can't be vetoed.

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2016, 04:57:00 am »

If your group doesn't like trashing, you're doing it wrong.

I was starting to come around to the idea because my decks are just too darn huge, but I still find myself making a lot of dumb decisions and flooding my deck. Of course, the longer I spend here, the realisation of how dumb they are sinks in.

I do like how you tried to edge-case it to make us sound less incompetent, but. It was Adventures only - that's your homework for the week.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2016, 11:11:47 am »
+1

I do like how you tried to edge-case it to make us sound less incompetent, but. It was Adventures only - that's your homework for the week.

Ok, let's see. I'll assume 2 Events: Bonfire and Quest.

Kingdom cards: Gear, Guide, Duplicate, Miser, Distant Lands, Hireling, Transmogrify, Amulet, Ratcatcher, Raze

I think that might do it. That might be a kingdom where there would be no reason to buy Bonfire. I also cheated a little by putting the three other trashers in the Kingdom (Amulet/Ratcatcher/Raze.) There's no +Buy, no +Actions, no gaining, so there's no engine here; nothing better you could possibly do than buy a Province a turn. Plus, Gear is in the Kingdom, the new king of Big Money. I don't think there's anything else faster than three Gears, pile the Provinces and move on to the next Kingdom and forget this mess ever appeared. Bonfiring coppers wouldn't accomplish anything but costing turns; it's not worth increasing the money density by trashing when playing BM because you'll stall faster when greening.

Now we'll see if anyone edge-cases my edge-case. Maybe some sort of weird Distant Lands Golden deck? I put in Distant Lands just to draw out other comments. I couldn't see a way to get/play multiples in one turn though, so even a deck of G/S/DL doesn't beat a Province a turn.

I have to admit, learning to play this game properly really does take time. It can be broken down into several stages:

1. Buying too many actions and making gigantic engines that do nothing.
2. Realizing that BM+X beats those bad engines easily. (Being sad for a minute.)
3. Realizing that a good engine will beat BM+X, but usually only by making multiple victory card buys, or by being much more consistent once greening starts.
4. Reading the strategy wiki and forums to find out what card combos work and about all of the different deck archetypes, buying proprities, money density, etc. Also terminology.
5. Being able to look at a Kingdom before buying a single card and identifying the optimal strategy for that kingdom. (Results may vary.)

One important note: Ignore the edge-case posts, parodies, facetious advice and pedantic arguments. Read the other 20% of the forum posts. There are some fantastic articles and discussions here about strategy, statistics, card evaluations, etc. Not all of them are gospel, but a surprising number of them are better than some of the now-outdated articles on the strategy wiki.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2016, 01:24:29 am »

I'm thinking of possible house rules for Platinums and Shelters. Especially now that Empires is a kind-of sequel to Prosperity, but which I assume will not count for including Platinums (and hey, maybe it does, that's cool), then the chances that (a) a random board will include Platinums, and (b) a random board with expensive cards will include Platinums, both drop quite a bit, and I think that's a pity. Even discounting that, I like the idea that you could have a board with 0 Prosperity cards but could still have a chance of Platinums and Colonies, and maybe even an all-Prosperity board without them.

I know that you can play however you like, but as someone with a very mathematically-oriented mind I'd like to come up with a suitable random process that feels "fair" to me.

Some ideas:

1. Add 1 Prosperity, 1 Dark Ages and 1 base card to the "pool" that you draw from when checking for Platinums and Shelters. This adds a small amount of variation in each direction.

2. Roll random numbers proportional to the number of Prosperity and Dark Ages cards, independently of the board. This doesn't change the probability of using Platinums/Shelters across all possible games, but it means that it's not conditional on the make-up of the kingdom.

3. Flip 1 card from the Kingdom *and* one card from the remaining Randomisers. If at least one is from Prosperity, include Platinums. If at least one is from Dark Ages, include Shelters. This way all-Prosperity kingdoms are still guaranteed Platinums, and similarly for Dark Ages and Shelters, but all other kingdoms have a small bump in the probability that they get included.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 03:13:33 am »
+2

Running some rough numbers, then the probabilities of getting Platinums under the various methods (method 0 being the original Prosperity setup) are:

# ProspMethod 0Method 1Method 2Method 3
00.0%7.7%10.6%11.1%
110.0%15.4%10.6%19.6%
220.0%23.1%10.6%28.1%
330.0%30.8%10.6%36.8%
440.0%38.5%10.6%45.6%
550.0%46.2%10.6%54.4%
660.0%53.8%10.6%63.4%
770.0%61.5%10.6%72.4%
880.0%69.2%10.6%81.5%
990.0%76.9%10.6%90.7%
10100.0%84.6%10.6%100.0%

And, by my reckoning, the proportion of kingdoms that would include Platinums under the various methods are 11.6% (draw 1 from kingdom), 15.8% (draw 1 from kingdom + 1 each Prosperity, Dark Ages, other), 10.6% (draw from all cards), 20.1% (draw one from each of kingdom and not-kingdom).

That's all ignoring Young Witch and so forth, of course, and not counting Empires. If we assume there are about 24 kingdom cards in Empires, then the proportions go to 9.6%, 15.1%, 9.6% and 18.3%.

I kind of like Method 1, since it's the one that lets you have an all-Prosperity kingdom without Platinums or a no-Prosperity kingdom with them without just giving a flat probability, and ~1 in 6 or 7 kingdoms having Platinums seems like an ok amount to me, even if it's a bit more often than the 1 in 9 offered by the original method.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2016, 09:31:24 am »
+1

I thought about another house rule we use: we usually put the whole randomizer deck in the Black Market, ignoring most setup effect except potion. It's mainly to spare time setting up. (otherwise everybody wants to look through the Black Market). If a card gets bought, in some cases we retroactively perform its setup. (like putting the right amount og coins on Trade route's mat)

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2016, 04:52:30 pm »

shame Adam doesn't post here since this is the kind of topic where he'd have a lot of interesting thoughts.  he's talked about some of the cards he bans for his IRL tournaments and it's mainly stuff that takes too long to resolve (spy, scrying pool, hunting party) or otherwise makes games drag on for ages (ambassador is the specific one i recall).  honestly that's a big part of why i feel IRL will never compare to online competitively, i mean amb is one of the more skill-heavy cards out there!

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2016, 06:09:32 pm »

I thought about another house rule we use: we usually put the whole randomizer deck in the Black Market, ignoring most setup effect except potion. It's mainly to spare time setting up. (otherwise everybody wants to look through the Black Market). If a card gets bought, in some cases we retroactively perform its setup. (like putting the right amount og coins on Trade route's mat)
This is not a house rule. It is totally legal if not the olny legal way to do it. MF has introduced the thirty card rule.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2016, 01:06:52 am »

I usually finish the round after an endgame condition has been reached.

I know, heresy.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2016, 01:12:48 am »

This is not a house rule. It is totally legal if not the olny legal way to do it. MF has introduced the thirty card rule.

I think he's saying that, even if Baker is always in the Black Market, they don't always get the extra coin token. I know for me I don't really do the extra setup stuff like Baker and Trade Route; I just put out the bane because Jack of All Dominion automatically does it. It's hard to keep a mental tally of every setup condition.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2016, 09:01:29 am »

Oh I thought he was saying he used the whole randomized deck instead of 30 cards.

I think he's saying that, even if Baker is always in the Black Market, they don't always get the extra coin token. I know for me I don't really do the extra setup stuff like Baker and Trade Route; I just put out the bane because Jack of All Dominion automatically does it. It's hard to keep a mental tally of every setup condition.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.