Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: IsoDom 3 Qualifier  (Read 22542 times)

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom 3 Qualifier
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 02:52:03 pm »

Hmmm ... I had thought that I had sent Lionel a PM on the forum here, but I don't see it in my Sent Items.

If you read this Lionel, send me a PM so we can set up a time for our match. (I'll keep trying to send one, myself).
For whatever reason, by default PMs sent are not saved into the sent folder.
It isn't possible to change that?  :'(
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 03:04:33 pm »

Well, you can always click the check box to save any PMs you want kept yourself...

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 10:32:03 pm »

The series was actually 7 games. The 6th ended in me buying the last Island to end the game on piles. Unfortunately (because of the lack of log, my bad), it also happened to the most interesting game. I opened Baron hoping to go for the "Victory Engine" with Silk Roads, Islands and Barons. Brando, on the other hand, went for Provinces, using Island to keep the deck somewhat trim (he opened Island/Silver, I believe) and stole a Silk Roads or two from me. It was the classic example of divergent strategies. There were certainly blunders (I believe he took a Duchy instead of Silk Roads when it was not optimal), but I believe if I had played it ideally, my strategy would have prevailed. Hopefully, I'll remember to add the link when it comes up on Council Room.

Mergus

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 11:16:39 pm »

[MAD] Mergus beats Glooble 4-1 in the qualifier.

Thank you for the matches Glooble!

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 04:43:48 pm »
+1

Dubdubdubdub beats Socrates 4-2-1 in the qualifier. Tough match, had a lot of fun.

I saved some of the logs. Will post others later, when they appear on Councilroom (if I remember).

Game 1: Socrates 17 - Dubdubdubdub 15, http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-082718-3572b16a.html. Off to a bad start. I opened 5/2 on a Witch board and obviously got a good lead, but somehow I let him catch back up. My buys were a mess, without any real strategy about when to buy Silver, Fishing Village or Province.

Game 2: Dubdubdubdub 95 - Socrates 60, http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120125-085053-712c410c.html. This was a Contraband game, we both opened Contraband/nothing. Royal Seal made vetoing cards a little easier (if he put a Gold on top last turn, he would probably be able to buy a Platinum now, that sort of thing). I got a lead by Developing my Contraband quickly. I'm not sure about the rest of the game.
Edit: I failed to mention this also had a fairly common Ambassador-thing going on. I still think CB was the dominant card here, though.

Game 3: Socrates 39 - Dubdubdubdub 39, http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-090048-0682a64c.html. Fun game where I opened Secret Chamber/Tunnel with 5/2 against his solid silver/masq. When I finished it, I made the mistake I make sometimes: thinking Province is 8vp. Am I the only one who does this? Anyway, I was lucky I bought a Tunnel instead of an Estate, or he would've won.

Game 4: Dubdubdubdub 40 - Socrates 39, http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-122051-07599406.html. Ambassador game, somewhat less straining thanks to Warehouses. I picked up a Hoard after reading some good advice about it on the forum the other day, picked up a couple of Duchies with it that my Warehouse could handle pretty well. Socrates focused on Ambassador and got me up to 18 coppers. 9 Golds were enough to plow through them.

Game 5: Socrates 28 - Dubdubdubdub 27, http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120125-124344-2e0a8eae.html. Difficult game with YW (bane Hamlet) and Seahag. I made the mistake of picking up YW, but got back out of the gutter using CR and Remake. Socrates played a neat game with Seahag, Hamlet and Forge. Very tight endgame. Fairgrounds was on the board, but nobody bought it.
Edit: I failed to mention the alchemists here. I disregarded them because they would keep the bane out of my hand, but that was just part of me focusing too much on YW. They are what put Socrates back up after I had a major lead.

Game 6: Dubdubdubdub 38 - Socrates resigned, http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120125-130035-23bba5b9.html. Edit: Socrates opened 5/2 on a Familiar board. That's the short version. Then again, I got 2p on turn 3. I made up for it using Herbalist to top-deck my Potion on turn 6. Vault, Trader, Forge ánd Masq made the curses a little easier on Socrates. I got pretty lucky drawing my Herbalist with my Banks and was able to keep a safe vp-margin.

Game 7: Dubdubdubdub 40 - Socrates 35, http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-131004-15cd9174.html. A Fool's Gold game. He went for it straight away, going Moneylender/Pawn. I chose against it and went for Wharf. Wharf got me to the last 4 FG's, which I trashed for Gold asap. His province lead diminished and I was able to keep a nice distance of about 7 vp.

Overall: I think Socrates is a little better at manipulating the endgame than me and I may have gotten a bit lucky (discarding 2 tunnels with SC on turn 6, for example). I think I am a bit of a slow player (as in: take a lot of turns to build up my deck), but the kingdoms seemed to support that.
Apart from the YW in game 5 and the mess in game 1, I kind of like my strategy overall.

PS. I'm level 17, if DrHades would like to complete his list.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:55:27 am by Dubdubdubdub »

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 10:42:09 pm »
+2

A_S00 defeats Festuca 4-2 to qualify, in a very fun and frequently nail-biting (at least for me) series.

-----

Game 1: A_S00 (39) > Festuca (34).  A very close Torturer chain game with Tactician.  I thought I was behind for much of the game, but came out with some big Tactician turns toward the end to split the Provinces 5-3 in my favor.

Game 2Festuca (18) > A_S00 (11).  A fairly straightforward IGG race that I ended up on the losing side of.  I also ended up on the losing side of a Province buy, and shortly thereafter the game.  I thought I was being clever with that Lookout opening, but I think maybe I was just being dumb instead.

Game 3A_S00 (48) > Festuca (26).  I went for Fool's Gold; Festuca didn't.  Turned out going Fool's Gold was the right choice on this board.

Game 4Festuca (39) > A_S00 (22).  I saw an Alchemist engine with King's Court-ed Alchemists providing extra actions to feed into Merchant ships and Salvaged treasure and victory cards for +Buy.  Fortunately for Festuca, she left her rose-tinted glasses at home and saw what was actually there, which was Salvager + Money.  Some bad luck on my part with not drawing KC and Alchemist together until late may have contributed to the magnitude of my defeat, but really I think Festuca just made a better deck choice.

Game 5A_S00 (37) > Festuca (33).  A pretty close, rather prolonged Mountebank slug-fest.  Got the point late in the game where I didn't think either of us was ever going to muster the coin to buy either of the last two Provinces.  Eventually both of us did, but by that time we'd already split the Duchies 5-3 in my favor.  Still decided by a very small margin, since Festuca was up on Estates.

Game 6:  Festuca (28) < A_S00 (54).  A very Big Money favored board, with a lot of kingdom treasure cards.  We both picked up an early Witch, after which I went mostly Wharf and Bank, while Festuca went more straight money.  This just in:  Wharves are pretty good.  I got hit with some bad luck (all 3 terminals collide on turn 9), but then so does Festuca (draws both her Banks with no other treasure on turn 13), so I guess it all evens out.  In the end, my Wharves are enough to see me through to a solid victory.

-----

Thanks very much to Festuca for the games; they were a ton of fun.  This is the first time I've played Dominion in any kind of extended format like this, and it's super exciting.  Looking forward to the tournament proper.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 10:43:44 pm »
+1

Yuma defeats ^_^_^_^ 4-3.

Here are game reports. I got a little long winded, sorry.
Yuma 49, ^_^_^_^ 41
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-170039-1431579c.html
Counting House, Farming Village, Horn of Plenty, Horse Traders, Monument, Silk Road, Spice Merchant, Swindler, Tunnel, and Workshop

This was a long game, taking 25 turns ending with 3 piles, Tunnels, Farming Villages and Silk Roads. We both opened Spice Merchant/Swindler I think with the intention to trash coppers and wreck havoc on each other. I was able to do so more giving out 3 curses.  I rarely like going for Tunnels but decided to with Horse Traders. Despite ^_^_^_^ trashing my H.T. on turn 7--and leaving me with 3 tunnels to clutter--I was able to use them relatively effectively for Golds. I bought the first province on turn 14--this was a long, drawn out game--causing ^_^_^_^ to panic--prematurely I think--into buying Silk Roads. He ended up with 7 of them and 7 estates. I bought a couple more provinces until I felt comfortable and ended the game on piles buying the last Farming Village.

Game 2 ^_^_^_^ 40, Yuma 39
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120125-181528-b9ee1d07.html
Baron, Explorer, Fishing Village, Great Hall, Harvest, Hoard, Horse Traders, Oracle, Treasury, and Watchtower

I don't know what I was thinking, but I opened FV/Watchtower while ^_^_^_^ opened Horse Traders/Fishing Village. His strategy proved to be the best. This game was unusual because of the weak $5 we both basically ignored. ^_^_^_^ bought a couple of Treasuries, but I don't think they impact as much as his good use of HT. ^_^_^_^ dominated early game. I almost able to mount a comeback buying Duchies, ^_^_^_^ matched me, and bought an estate along the way, keeping his lead high enough throughout to maintain victory.

Game 3 ^_^_^_^ 59, Yuma 56
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-183113-e2b6f867.html
Conspirator, Fairgrounds, Gardens, Mine, Nobles, Possession, Potion, Quarry, Tactician, Trading Post, and Woodcutter

A Tactician game with Trading Post, Nobles and Quarry. ^_^_^_^ was able to win the Nobles split 6/4 because I decided to go for a Gold and Nobles instead of 2 Nobles on turn 10. I think that proved to be the breaking point. It was also an interesting game due to Gardens and Fairgrounds being present. I attempted to use the 2 alternative V.P. cards to come back and almost did, but ^_^_^_^ again countered with enough green to stay ahead the whole game.

Game 4 ^_^_^_^40, Yuma 25
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-184433-d3a916e6.html
Ambassador, Border Village, Bureaucrat, Coppersmith, Explorer, Highway, Library, Lighthouse, Swindler, and Torturer

An Ambassador game where I tried Lighthouse/Ambassador while ^_^_^_^ opened Ambassador/Ambassador. I must have been distracted by the USMNT game against Panama that was on in the background because I didn't buy a single money card the whole game. Regardless I think ^_^_^_^ would have won with double ambassador and torturers hitting more often than mine despite my abundance of Lighthouses.

Here I was down 3-1 and feeling pretty miserable...

Game 5 Yuma 30, ^_^_^_^ 16
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-185019-2645af74.html
Black Market, Bureaucrat, City, Cutpurse, Jack of All Trades, Mountebank, Potion, Scout, Steward, Vineyard, and Worker's Village

^_^_^_^ went Double Jack, while i tried something I hadn't before and bought a Mountebank along the way to my Double Jack. I am still not sure if this was the best move, but my Jack and Mounte only collided once--I opted to play Jack that turn.  His Double Jack collided more than normal, hindering his ability to trash the 2 curses I was able to get on him. I don't know if the 2 curses and 2 coppers made that big of an impact or not.

Game 6 Yuma 43, ^_^_^_^ 32
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-190435-24feefdf.html
City, Coppersmith, Embargo, Governor, Nobles, Pearl Diver, Potion, Trade Route, Trading Post, University, and Warehouse

Probably the most interesting game we played with University and both Governors and Cities to obtain from it. We ended up splitting the Governors, but I ended up trashing two for Nobles--using other Governors to do so--as the game winded down. We both commented that it was an odd game and that we didnt' play optimally. ^_^_^_^ pointed out that Big Money probably would have defeated both of us.

Game 7 Yuma 34, ^_^_^_^ 33
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-191607-8768df50.html
Apothecary, Apprentice, Conspirator, Embargo, Envoy, Harem, Margrave, Torturer, Tunnel, Wishing Well

A game of Apprentice and Envoy as we both Embargoed cards we didn't like--Harem, Torturer and Margrave.
This game was ultimately decided on draw luck at the end. As the tiebreaker, I thought that at turn 14 I was doomed because a Province buy would have lost me the game on first turn tie. However ^_^_^_^'s draw luck was atrocious at the end matching my Duchy buys on turn 14 and 15. Turn 16 I was in despair because I could only buy an Estate but then saw him unable to do anything after drawing (copper, province, duchy, duchy, apprentice). I was then able to buy a province for the win on turn 17.  ^_^_^_^ doesn't know this yet, but if he had trashed one of his Duchies on turn 16 instead of a copper, he would have won. By trashing the Duchy he would have drawn 5 cards--which were 2 golds, a copper and 2 provinces. Those two golds and a copper combined with the copper he already had would have been enough for a 36-27 victory. Luckily for me, that didn't happen.

Thanks ^_^_^_^, the games were great fun.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:55:35 am by yuma »

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 10:52:42 pm »

You're welcome. I considered trashing the duchy but thought that it would either end in utter despair or I could hope RNG would help me later on giving me back the game. It was just too risky at the time. However, when I played Apprentice, I was thinking towards that direction. My conscious said no, however.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 11:28:30 pm »

Partial series:  Jorbles tied 2:2 with Kirian

Game 1:  Jorbles 39, Kirian 22:   http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-183221-791907f6.html

A simple KC-Scheme game, though with very little else in the way of support.  My IW opening (for Schemes) cost me a bit of tempo getting to KC, but my shuffle luck also killed me, with my first KC discarded to Tribute and the second one drawn after my Schemes.  Jorbles gets the first KC-KC-Scheme-Scheme-Salvager and repeats it over three turns to take me out; I draw KC-KC on my last turn but never get to play it.

Game 2:  Jorbles 64, Kirian 59:   http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-185740-bd8f448b.html

Inn and Wharf dominate this game, with Scheme providing support.  My first few terminal Wharves draw no treasure, leaving me at an early disadvantage and forcing me to go for alternate VP cards, of which there were two... and I probably could have gotten things done, but I was using Pawns to fish for more powerful cards instead of using them for the simple action/coin that I could have.  Jorbles's extra Wharf, his good embargo use, and my bad Pawn management gave him this squeaker.

Game 3:  Kirian 36, Jorbles 18:   http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-190826-f72206bb.html

Steward is the obvious opening, but I get a boost using it for a T3 Gold and almost never use it for trashing, preferring a T6 Apprentice and a T7 Forge.  The Forge dominates here; with HoP it gives me a three-Province T14, and it allows me to get the last Province with only $5 in hand.

Game 4:  Kirian 60, Jorbles 46:   http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-191943-c56c8a78.html

Hamlet and Jack rule this game--discard twice to Hamlet, then Jack back up to 5 cards!--but I wouldn't have won without the Harvest that we both panned on our 5/2 starts.  Luck favored my Harvest, making it worth $4 all but once.  Jorbles hits a bit of bad luck in the last few turns, gambling against the PCR but failing to draw $11 despite a commanding Platinum lead.  This could have gone either way.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

paddyodoors

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 08:30:33 am »

Sounds like a lot of fun... maybe stupid question but I'll ask anyways: how does one sign up for these tournaments?

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 09:12:44 am »
+1

Mean Mr Mustard set this one up by starting a thread about it, about a week ago. I guess you just need to be around to reply to threads like those, that's all. Tournaments aren't organized that often, though.
Registration for Isodom3 closed after 44 people signed up.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 11:20:46 am »

Game 4:  Kirian 60, Jorbles 46:   http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-191943-c56c8a78.html

Hamlet and Jack rule this game--discard twice to Hamlet, then Jack back up to 5 cards!--but I wouldn't have won without the Harvest that we both panned on our 5/2 starts.  Luck favored my Harvest, making it worth $4 all but once.  Jorbles hits a bit of bad luck in the last few turns, gambling against the PCR but failing to draw $11 despite a commanding Platinum lead.  This could have gone either way.

With luck against you in the first couple games, you deserved a bit of luck here.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 12:00:10 pm »

You're welcome. I considered trashing the duchy but thought that it would either end in utter despair or I could hope RNG would help me later on giving me back the game. It was just too risky at the time. However, when I played Apprentice, I was thinking towards that direction. My conscious said no, however.
If you are considering the duchy, you should've trashed the province.  The score is 33-28 at that point? The extra 3 points trashed isn't as valuable as securing 3 extra cards.  With that said, as the shuffle just happened, I can understand the hesitation.  Like going on 4th and inches =)

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 03:23:59 pm »

If you are considering the duchy, you should've trashed the province.  The score is 33-28 at that point? The extra 3 points trashed isn't as valuable as securing 3 extra cards.  With that said, as the shuffle just happened, I can understand the hesitation.  Like going on 4th and inches =)
Exactly. I couldn't make up my mind. My reasoning was that I would need the province to win, especially if all I draw with the province is more VP cards and 1-2 treasures :(

Darboux

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 05:48:17 pm »

[MAD] Max won against Eevee 4-3. Great games!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 05:49:09 pm »

If I had to guess [MAD]Max's rank based on our 7 games (he beat me 4-3), I'd guess he's something like level 35. He played incredibly well, I got absolutely destroyed even if it was close on paper, gg and good luck on future games. :)

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 10:45:20 pm »

FerrousWheel beats jimjam 4-3, logs/comments coming later.

Ferrouswheel

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 10:46:14 pm »

Ferrouswheel won 4 - 3 against jimjam.

It was a great first six games followed by a Ill-Gotten Gains throw down that I won pretty much by virtue of being first player. I'll post the logs for the other matches later, but here is match #7.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 03:52:12 am »

Added the logs + observations for games 2, 5 and 6 in the report on Socrates and me.

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2012, 05:12:16 am »

All games were played with identical starting hands.

FerrousWheel vs. jimjam, 4:3
Game 1: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120126-183856-11330797.html
4 to -2
I go first. My turn 4 is probably really the only thing that needs to be said about this match. I trash Bane Loan and 4 coppers with Mint, because I figure I can mint silvers quick and get Grand Market (a card that I overrate, any time I see it on the board I think of how I'm going to get it). It doesn't work out.

Game 2: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120126-184602-d34cd410.html
41 to 49
Ferrous goes for a Talisman Envoy/Farming Village Engine, while I go with a BM strategy: single Cutpurse. PPR holds for 5 turns as we run out Duchies, then I luckily manage to take the last two provinces.

Game 3: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120126-185503-02adbbac.html
33 to 20
The first Colony game! We get a 5/2 split. I go with Trading Post, Ferrous goes with Upgrade. He embargoes Duchy, I embargo Silver, he embargoes Gold, I embargo Peddler. Unfortunately I go too heavy on Upgrades and kill my deck. I should not have embargoed the Peddler, since I could have upgraded into Platinums, which would have at least somewhat justified buying so many Upgrades. He upgrades Provinces to do this but later he runs them out.

Game 4: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120126-190446-7c92de10.html
28 to 30
I mercilessly beat Ferrous down with Ambassador. How did it happen? Good shuffling? Looking at the logs on turn 5, he had an Ambassador, 2 coppers, a silver, and an Estate, but gives over 1 copper. Misclick, I guess. Still, he gets quite close in score, and unwilling to take any chances, I give him the last Province with Ambassador.

Game 5: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120126-192502-4e1e0d2d.html
38 to 24
Ferrous goes for a fairly straightforward Tactician/Mountebank deck. I, however, open Quarry/Hamlet, which sets up the grueling 31 turn slugfest. In retrospect Cartographer and Tactician may have made catching up with Rabble a poor choice, and of course I'm probably set back with regards to Mountebank (though in the end he ended up taking 6 curses). Moreover I neither get enough money playing terminal silvers, nor bother to pick up real silvers. At one point I don't buy as many Hamlets as I should for fear of Mountebank's discard option, but it turns out to bite me when I don't have enough +actions to run my engine (no, 9 Hamlets is not enough). Turn 25 to me is vindication: I grab double provinces (unfortunately Ferrous already has his 4). Turn 27, I set myself up to do it again...and end up with not enough actions, so I have to settle for 3 duchies. I then proceed to get crushed.

Game 6: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120126-193714-fe8f2b85.html
27 to 60
We both go for a Forge strategy. I find his turn 3 Loan buy rather strange. One mistake I think he made later was keeping around too much treasure; In the end I had a mere $13 in my entire deck, compared to his $23. But I was very lucky in that my first Forge draw coincided with the last turn's Caravans. That surely caused a ripple effect in the turns, and I didn't end up having to trash any Colonies.

Game 7: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120126-194324-284bb346.html
25 to 17
It's an IGG game. He opens B-crat, I open Coppersmith. We split the IGG evenly. However a combination of bad luck and also not bothering to count parity means that I get $7 on turns 12, 14, and 15. The problem comes down to this: IGG is worth $3 with Coppersmith, but that does nothing for getting Provinces unless I have two. Turn 19 I get $5 and Farmland, which is quite annoying. However, I definitely made two big mistakes this match: Overrating Coppersmith (I remember it had worked for me in an IGG game before), and buying 2 Goons in the late-game, drawing one once.

Overall, some fun matches. Except the first match when I started, the first player won each game, so it was definitely a very close and exciting tug of war. Look forward to hearing Ferrous' side of the matches.
Best of luck to him, and the rest of the contenders (unless it involves turn 5 unassisted Treasure Maps :P).

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2012, 11:17:19 pm »

Finishing our series, Kirian defeats Jorbles 4-3 in a very, very tight match.

Game 5: Jorbles 59, Kirian 35:  http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/28/game-20120128-181307-74d79fe2.html

Familiar games are one of my least favorites, and even worse when there's no trashing.  Thankfully neither of us loses instantly with 2P on turn 5.  I decide that with Hoard to gain Golds and lots of untrashable Curses, I'll head after Gardens... but Jorbles beats me in the money race and is able to pile up on Provinces as well.

Game 6: Kirian 43, Jorbles 34:  http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/28/game-20120128-182318-f1792604.html

I open Quarry intending to get an early Forge; Jorbles starts with Baron, which would have been a better idea for me.  His engine ramps up well, but I'm able to Forge a Province and a Gold.  Meanwhile he has no Golds, which allows me to get back into the game.  They say both that fortune favors the prepared and fortune favors the bold; in this case, I flout the PPR on T18, being bold; Jorbles trashes a Copper to my Bishop, leaving him unprepared to buy a Province and unable to tie on T18; and I get lucky drawing my Gold with Venture on T19.

Game 7: Kirian 40, Jorbles 20:  http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120128-184016-cf44d011.html

No one likes Sea Hag, frankly, but it's a must-buy under most circumstances.  Jorbles gets his Remake first--I don't get mine until T6, setting me back a bit.  At T13, his deck is quite a bit better than mine.  A T14 Gold helps a lot, though, as does a lucky Remake of Hag->City.  I think Jorbles makes a mistake taking Province at T16 with no Gold in his deck.  Partially through luck--though running out of Curses helped--I draw my deck three turns in a row at the end, sealing the win.

A great set of matches!  Jorbles said at the end that I played better... but I disagree.  These games were evenly matched and a number of them were decided on luck.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:35:28 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2012, 07:27:16 am »

Jeeeeez that Copper trashing hurts to read about :(

ccasin

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2012, 08:45:27 am »

MonsterBrick sent me a PM saying he doesn't have time to play and concedes our match. 

So I guess I move to the main event.  I'm a little sad, though, was looking forward to getting beaten by a pro and analyzing it :)  Anyone want to play a fake match today?  I'll be around until 5pm EST, PM me.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2012, 06:40:22 pm »

Jeeeeez that Copper trashing hurts to read about :(

Yeah.  I mean... if his first Venture had drawn Copper instead of Silver, it wouldn't have been painful... having $6 when you could have had $7 sucks anyway.  I don't know if Jorbles was keeping full track of his deck--I wasn't--but with only one Silver in it, he had a good chance of drawing Copper/Silver... or even Venture/Copper/Copper. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.