Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cards you forget exist  (Read 8662 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Cards you forget exist
« on: April 16, 2016, 11:02:09 am »
+1

Usually, we remember good cards - Witch, Cultist, Rebuild, Mountebank, Jack of all Trades, Magpie - or we remember absolutely shitty cards - Scout, Counting House, Scout, Develop, Scout - or we remember interesting/weird cards - Band of Misfits, Rats, Wine Merchant, Advisor.  But there are some cards that aren't quite shitty enough to be memorable, but aren't really good/interesting enough to be remembered either.  Cards where you know what they do, but you don't really automatically think of them when trying to build a kingdom.  Cards that you subconsciously skip over when looking over the board.

For me, a few cards like this are:
Royal Seal
Explorer
Merchant Ship
Harvest
Trade Route

What can we do to see these cards get their due?  Do they deserve any attention in the first place?  What cards do you forget about?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Re: Cards you forget exist
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 11:17:24 am »

Navigator, Scavanger, that one five cost card that sifts
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:18:32 am by yuma »

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 11:19:25 am »
+1

If you hadn´t posted them, I would have definitely forgotten about Explorer and Harvest.
Would add Harem and Mine to the list.
The only reason I still know that Scout exists is because I visit this forum and there are more posts about that card than any other.
I am pretty sure that half of my game group has all forgotten about Scout. If it shows up in the randomizer we switch it out for another card or we might as well play with only 9 kingdom cards. The Scout cards are still pretty much in Mint condition ;-)

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 11:22:35 am »
+3

Cards you forget exist
11th card when I fail to notice Young Witch is on the board :P

On a serious note, cards I ignore are usually ones that are bad in majority of the kingdoms they appear in - as soon as I see them on the board, I usually don't bother with a serious thought. It has, unfortunately, more than once caused me to miss some actually useful Royal Seal, Scout, Stash or Rats combos.

On the other hand, my criteria are completely arbitrary. There are several other suboptimal cards which aren't worth buying most of the time, and yet I find them cool and wonder if can I somehow include them in my deck: cards such as Harvest, Saboteur, Adventurer, Coppersmith etc.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 11:29:11 am »
+1

Transmute. I can't even tell exactly how it works. I just know you trash stuff and you get Gold, Duchiy or Transmute depending on the type, but I wouldn't be able to tell what exactly you trash to get which thing.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 11:32:30 am »
+1

Transmute. I can't even tell exactly how it works. I just know you trash stuff and you get Gold, Duchiy or Transmute depending on the type, but I wouldn't be able to tell what exactly you trash to get which thing.

I remember the coolest one - Estates to Gold - and then build up from there.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 11:59:25 am »
+7

I almost always end up forgetting that Stonemason is on the board and end up paying $7 for a $5 when I could have gotten two $5s. I'm getting a little better at this but still miss it a lot.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 12:31:23 pm »
+1

My list of Forgettable Cards, in no particular order:

Cache, Expand, Thief, Navigator. Probably some others, but they wouldn't be very unmemorable if I could recall them here, don't you think?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 12:33:48 pm »
+4

Develop may be niche, but it's a good card.  Better than some in your forgettable list.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 12:53:29 pm »

Remodel is the most forgettable card in Dominion, which is why nobody has mentioned it. It even took me a while: "I remember there was a 4-cost in the base set which is super forgettable because it doesn't do anything special, maybe terminal... what was is???"

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 01:21:03 pm »

Remodel is the most forgettable card in Dominion, which is why nobody has mentioned it. It even took me a while: "I remember there was a 4-cost in the base set which is super forgettable because it doesn't do anything special, maybe terminal... what was is???"

Except that it encourages engines on many boards where they otherwise wouldn't be viable, including the First Game engine.

Sage is probably the most forgettable card to me. A boring and mediocre card in a set filled to the brim with interesting stuff.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 01:30:32 pm »
+7

If you guys actually want to find out which cards are actually the most forgettable to you, the Sporcle Quiz is a good starting point.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 01:32:11 pm »

If you guys actually want to find out which cards are actually the most forgettable to you, the Sporcle Quiz is a good starting point.

But they're different every time. I forgot Chapel one time.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 01:42:50 pm »

No!  Don't look at my results!  They undermine my point!   :-[
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 01:44:26 pm »

Except that it encourages engines on many boards where they otherwise wouldn't be viable, including the First Game engine.

Sage is probably the most forgettable card to me. A boring and mediocre card in a set filled to the brim with interesting stuff.
I interpreted the question as what card you never think of while thinking about Dominion, not when it's in the kingdom. E.g. the sporcle quiz as ehalcyon suggested.

EDIT: Sporcle quiz says sage actually is the most forgettable, while remodel isn't at all. Probably expansion bias though, base set v. Dark ages.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:48:47 pm by liopoil »

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 04:34:34 pm »
+1

Navigator, Scavanger, that one five cost card that sifts

Scavenger is a fantastic card. You have to consider Scavenger on any board it's on for sure.

Cards I almost always end up skipping are those lame $5 cost Treasures, like Stash and Royal Seal. Those new Treasure Trove and Relic cards are going to be pretty nice though.

Navigator is something I never buy. Sage is so forgettable, though it's a great cycler in the beginning of the game. Workshop is probably on this list, since we're all spoiled with Ironworks. Treasury is a card I don't really like buying either, it's like a worse Market because there's no +buy. Yes, yes.. It's a free copper a turn, but that's really lame for a $5 purchase. I feel like Caravan Guard is going to eventually be on this list for most people.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:44:50 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 05:05:41 pm »

For me, the older the expansion is, the more I forget the cards. I forget about Madman and Vagrant a lot, because when I got Dark Ages, I often played one or two games with lots of the cards and moved on.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 05:49:46 pm »
+4

Councellor, I think.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 06:49:11 pm »

Councellor, I think.

Chancellor? That's a very forgettable card for sure.

Might as well add Spy, and there's also Secret Chamber. Secret Chamber is bad, but it's not all terrible in Double Tactician decks. The only card I can't think of any use for so far is Harvest. Maybe if it's a 9 Scout 1 Harvest kingdom. Harvest BM is better than BM.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 06:59:39 pm »

Two good cards that I often overlook out of sheer distraction are Quarry and Talisman. Maybe because they're yellow, or maybe because my subconscious goes: "Copper variant, pass". I don't know.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 07:01:49 pm »

Two good cards that I often overlook out of sheer distraction are Quarry and Talisman. Maybe because they're yellow, or maybe because my subconscious goes: "Copper variant, pass". I don't know.

Talisman is more skippable unless there's a power $4 card you want so badly, usually the only village in the kingdom with huge engine potential. Quarry is not very skippable at all most of the time. With Quarry, you can spike Goons early, and it's much better than Silver for Action card purchases. It's just such a good card.

A treasure card I skip a lot is Venture. I don't know why, it's not a terrible card. I just don't like it much.

Develop is a trashing card often ignored. If you have to thin, you have to thin. It's a decent card with Fortress, if you want a $3 and a $5 cost, though that's so freaking rare.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:03:53 pm by Seprix »

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 07:02:59 pm »
+7

Hot Air Balloon. Whatever happened to that card?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 07:04:07 pm »
+3

Hot Air Balloon. Whatever happened to that card?

AdamH took that card with him to Reddit.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 08:00:35 pm »

Talisman is more skippable unless there's a power $4 card you want so badly, usually the only village in the kingdom with huge engine potential. Quarry is not very skippable at all most of the time. With Quarry, you can spike Goons early, and it's much better than Silver for Action card purchases. It's just such a good card.

A treasure card I skip a lot is Venture. I don't know why, it's not a terrible card. I just don't like it much.

Develop is a trashing card often ignored. If you have to thin, you have to thin. It's a decent card with Fortress, if you want a $3 and a $5 cost, though that's so freaking rare.

Quarry is a $4 gold for action cards (and even better if there is +buy).

I once played a weird game. It was a slog kind of game, but still with a lot of trashing. It ended up with me having a couple of ventures and maybe one or two golds. So every time I had a venture, I was able to buy a province or a dutchy, because of the combined ventures+golds. I should have saved it, it was cool.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 09:07:51 pm »

I remember the coolest one - Estates to Gold - and then build up from there.

By the time you buy Potion, buy Transmute, get Transmute to line up with Estate, and trash it to get Gold... You would have already had Gold, and you wouldn't have lame ol' Transmute and a dead Potion card.

I once played a weird game. It was a slog kind of game, but still with a lot of trashing. It ended up with me having a couple of ventures and maybe one or two golds. So every time I had a venture, I was able to buy a province or a dutchy, because of the combined ventures+golds. I should have saved it, it was cool.

Venture is great in Slogs.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:09:20 pm by Seprix »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.