Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Festival  (Read 2039 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Festival
« on: April 15, 2016, 10:55:25 pm »

Time to celebrate, because I finally got around to Festival! Oh, and I completely forgot this card, too. How fun, right?

-How does Festival rank among Villages?
-Does Festival get insanely good with a Pathfinding's +1 Card upgrade? What about Training's +$1?
-Does the lack of draw hurt Festival to the point where you'd prefer Bazaar?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Festival
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 10:58:01 pm »
+1

Festival's main selling point is the +Buy, which can often make it more useful than Bazaar.  Works well with Library, Menagerie, etc.  Also lets you play terminals before using Minion for the draw.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 06:38:10 am »
+3

I think Festival is a nice village, where the main drawback is that its not giving +1 card. That makes it a lot harder to kick of your engine sometimes, especially when there is only weak trashing. The +buy is really nice though, and it works well with draw to x or anything that wants virtual coin and actions, like minion, tactician, conspirator etc. Also nice with vineyards.

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 09:42:06 am »
+2

Festival is my favorite card in the game.
You can add extra terminals to your deck, always have enough buys and do not have to worry about your payload.
The card is really relaxing to play with. I do have to say that I rarely play competitively and try to do something fun and this card is always fun.

Putting the fun aspect aside. You really want some kind of draw with the card. Mentioned cards like Minion, Tactician and Library are awesome with the card, but even Moat, Smithy or especially Courtyard are great with the card. The extra payload and +buy help in picking up additional cheap draw cards and the extra actions let you play them.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 12:55:24 pm »
+1

It's a card many players overbuy. Non-terminal $2 is really enticing, sure, but I've seen way too many "Festival Idiots" who buy scads of them and then use them to buy single Provinces and think they're great, not realizing that they're just playing BM and overpaying for silver. +1 buy is often helpful. +3-4 buys rarely is.

For engine building, it requires GOOD draw cards (+3 or better) and ideally sifters to help prevent stalls, and a greater dedication to trashing, but in the bargain it mitigates it's own drawback: Since it provides money with the actions, you don't have to buy as much economy in the form of treasure and other money payload cards, meaning you CAN do much more trashing and make it work just fine as long as you make your deck really thin.

I'm not sure I would ever use Pathfinding or Training on Festival. That's what cantrips are for. Turning a bunch of $2 Pearl Divers into $5 Labs with upside is fantastic. Turning a $5 Festival into a slightly more reliable $4 Conspirator seems iffy.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 01:17:40 pm »

I think Festival is a nice village, where the main drawback is that its not giving +1 card. That makes it a lot harder to kick of your engine sometimes, especially when there is only weak trashing. The +buy is really nice though, and it works well with draw to x or anything that wants virtual coin and actions, like minion, tactician, conspirator etc. Also nice with vineyards.
I think the +1 Card on most Villages is underrated.

Many times I've either had a hand full of Festivals or a hand full of terminals.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 01:21:38 pm »

The problem with Festival is that it costs $5. That's a lot to spend on a village with some extra abilities tacked on. Also, the lack of a +1 card means it doesn't even replace itself in your deck. When I spend $5 on a non-cantrip action, it better do something pretty sweet. Festival is just a lot of okay abilities put together. Also, its not easily spammable, which is a big drawback with a village.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:27:26 pm by McGarnacle »
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 20 queries.