Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Scout in Intrigue  (Read 8223 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Scout in Intrigue
« on: April 14, 2016, 11:15:53 pm »
+1

Wow, I'm making two topic in one day.

So this poll is important. If you want to be extra helpful, please comment which option you chose. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:23:25 pm by Roadrunner7671 »
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Scout in Intrigue
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 11:18:03 pm »

Let it go, dude. Scout is just flat out bad. I'd make the argument that Scout BM is worse than plain BM.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 11:20:02 pm »

Let it go, dude. Scout is just flat out bad. I'd make the argument that Scout BM is worse than plain BM.
This is for something else.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 11:23:53 pm »

By the way, can you guys see the votes? Is there a button under the poll that you can click?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 12:24:47 am »
+7

These options aren't mutually exclusive at all. Scout does get significantly better in all-Intrigue games, but it's still a bad card, even then.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 03:01:49 am »

Scout is surprisingly good in Intrigue only games.

There's the whole Ironworks/Great Hall/Wishing Well/Conspirator/Pawn thing, which uses scout reasonably well, especially when Nobles/Harem are added to the mix.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 03:09:36 am »
+1

Scout is actually most usable in Alchemy imo. It works well with Apothecary, Scrying Pool and (to some extent) Golem. Scout/Great Hall is weak, Ironworks/Scout/Great Hall requires 3 cards and is still mediocre at best.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 05:10:39 am »
+7

It's kind of facepalm-worthy that fds features more discussions about Scout than about 200 other stronger and more useful cards.

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 06:04:31 am »

With Wishing Well or Ironworks/Great Hall I wouldn´t mind having Scout in my deck, but I´m still not sure if I want to spend $4 and a buy on the card.

ced

• Salvager
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 06:09:24 am »
+11

Scout is actually most usable in Alchemy imo. It works well with Apothecary, Scrying Pool and (to some extent) Golem. Scout/Great Hall is weak, Ironworks/Scout/Great Hall requires 3 cards and is still mediocre at best.

Both me and my opponent bought Scout on a Golem board last night, where it was the only nonterminal that didn't require you to trash from your hand. It's still worse than any cantrip at that, but hey, sometimes you don't get a power card like Pearl Diver in the Kingdom and have to settle for Scout.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 06:35:10 am »
+1

Why are people repeating scrying pool+scout which is nombo, with pool its better to pick power cards like pearl diver, pawn or secret chamber.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 06:52:07 am »
+1

Why are people repeating scrying pool+scout which is nombo, with pool its better to pick power cards like pearl diver, pawn or secret chamber.

Because Pearl Diver, Pawn and Secret Chamber aren't always available.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 07:06:26 am »

Because Pearl Diver, Pawn and Secret Chamber aren't always available.

Well random kingdoms of pool, scout and 8 terminal aren't very common.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 07:19:46 am »
+1

True, although the other cards don't need to be terminals; they could cost $5, be Treasure or Victory cards, be even worse than Scout by the time you might consider picking one up (such as a trasher after you've already trashed all the junk cards in your deck) or they could be piles that are easily emptied very fast. But still you also need a reason to expect to have a lot of green cards on top of your deck and a reason to actually benefit from an extra Action card being in your deck (which is not that difficult because Scrying Pool already draws them into your hand so you just need to be able to utilize a bigger hand for some kind of a benefit) and a way to gain Scouts for free. If all of those are true, you want to get some Scouts for free. And that situation is most certainly not at all common, and doesn't really get significantly more common if you play with just Intrigue.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 07:44:08 am »

True, although the other cards don't need to be terminals; they could cost $5, be Treasure or Victory cards, be even worse than Scout by the time you might consider picking one up (such as a trasher after you've already trashed all the junk cards in your deck) or they could be piles that are easily emptied very fast. But still you also need a reason to expect to have a lot of green cards on top of your deck and a reason to actually benefit from an extra Action card being in your deck (which is not that difficult because Scrying Pool already draws them into your hand so you just need to be able to utilize a bigger hand for some kind of a benefit) and a way to gain Scouts for free. If all of those are true, you want to get some Scouts for free. And that situation is most certainly not at all common, and doesn't really get significantly more common if you play with just Intrigue.

Part of easy emptied piles is doesnt work, as you dont have time to pick up scouts when game is about to end on three piles.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 07:45:47 am »

Part of easy emptied piles is doesnt work, as you dont have time to pick up scouts when game is about to end on three piles.

The game is probably not about to end on three piles if Scout is the only thing you want to gain.

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 10:13:54 am »

Slogs benefit most from scouts. I don't think I've bought it except in a duke/duchy slog.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 10:24:48 am »

Like with most newbies, I used to buy it more than I should've.  Nowadays, yeah, the reasoning on why it's bad seems sound.  I'd like to play with a variant that Donald X suggested on how to buff Scout, but I can't recall what that was.

I'd probably get it more if it were a Bane card, but pity it costs $4, not $2 or $3.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 09:17:50 am »
+2

Scout is your best Pool buy maybe 5% of the time. In a lightly or untrashed deck Scout tends to work out to be somewhere between Pearl Diver and Wishing Well. You get 4 * green % as straight draw. You likely double your odds in the early game of being able to discard a copper/hit an action. In a mostly thinned deck, Scout is normally at least a cantrip - move the one copper in 4 cards to deck top so you can draw a bigger action block with a single pool, late game clearing the green is a non-trivial benefit.

The real combo, though, is with Vineyard. Vineyard wants actions and wants to cycle past greens to find Pots. Scout cycles past Vineyards while also increasing the Vineyard point tally. Being $4 means that a lot Vineyards setups will have Scout facing only Pot or terminals on price and Vineyards just like actions that much.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 09:46:39 am »
+7

I would argue it's worse, because you might get tempted and fall for the Scout-trap (which is simply gaining it) more often.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DoomYoshi

• Scout
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 07:15:16 am »

Scout goes best in Prosperity, with Goons.

Hoepfully with a new online developer, they can start to modify some of the terrible cards.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 08:40:25 am »
+3

Nah, just make a custom "interesting kingdom generator" and set Scout's probability show up to 0% (100% if it's April 1st).

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 08:49:11 am »

Nah, just make a custom "interesting kingdom generator" and set Scout's probability show up to 0% (100% if it's April 1st).

Does anyone out there have some sort of interesting Kingdom generator? If there were a way to rate Kingdoms on interestingness, then you could use some sort of genetic algorithm or something to generate new ones.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 08:54:38 am »
+2

I believe that Race through the Galaxy guy did some work on it, Wei-Hwa Huang, see http://dominionsetgenerator.com/

It's up to Guilds and based on some older purchase model where you could own half a set.
It's all client-side JS so it should be possible to clone it and add Dark Ages and Adventures.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 08:55:45 am »
+1

Sometimes, 9-card kingdoms are more interesting than 10-card kingdoms.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.