Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: When did you start playing Dominion  (Read 15081 times)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
Re: When did you start playing Dominion
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 05:54:12 am »
+1

Funnily, I discovered Isotropic before playing the board game. It was late 2010 or early 2011. I introduced the game to a friend, we played a good deal online (from the same room), got awfully overwhelmed by the number of cards. Then he bought Intrigue, Prosperity, and Cornucopia and we played a lot of f2f dominion, which has always felt very slow to me. #isotropicwasbetter.
I bought Base and Alchemy (planning to buy Seaside) to complete our shared collection, then I moved away and I'm stuck playing games with 5+ Potion cost cards.

I remember one of our first games. I had a rudimental concept of "thinning is whinning", and Upgrade doesn't really thin you, I thought ("0+1" is hard maths). So I went Trade route. He had a concept of "attacking is winning", so he hit me hard with Spy-Swindler superCombo. He won by a wide margin.

He doesn't play much any more, but we still speak fondly of our Sab games.
We discovered Engines looking for the most efficient way of playing a bunch of Saboteurs.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 11:22:42 am »

My wife and I sometimes played games with couples we knew from church. In October 2012 one couple invited us over to "play Dominion" - they kept describing it as though we should know exactly what it is. But we went, and played a couple of 5p games. I recall that Village, Harem, Noble Brigand, Trader, Ill-Gotten Gains, and Jack of All Trades were there, and I wanted to load up on Traders to deal with IGG.

At the end of it, they were discussing the various expansions and mentioned that there were several they didn't have. My wife and I basically agreed to get Seaside so that we could bring that one. So for Christmas she got me Seaside plus the Base Cards set so that we could play against each other. For some reason or over we never played with those friends again, and a few months later we moved halfway across the country.

But since then I've been buying expansions and playing. My wife and I play, we play with her parents when they're in town, we've played with a few other couples, and I've just joined a "game group" of people from church who want to get around to Dominion one of these days. Last Christmas I got Intrigue, meaning that for the first time ever I've had all released sets; I've turned to buying Legos to fill the void and I think I'll ask for Empires for Father's Day.

tufftaeh

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tufftaeh
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 12:18:16 pm »

I started playing Dominion in 2008, at the big games fair "Spieltage" in Essen, Germany. My friends made me play a few other games over the three days as well, but I kept on coming back to Hans im Glück to play more Dominion. I've bought each expansion as soon as it was available, but as the first Dominion expansions took their time to be released, I liked Race for the Galaxy more for quite some time until eventually the complexity of all-random Dominion won. Now I'm known at some German gamers meetings as the person who plays only Dominion - and maybe some Roll or Race for the Galaxy... Somehow, I've played only a few games on Isotropic, but several hundreds in the inofficial German browser game. When Goko was finally becoming usable, I bought the full package just before the conversion to MF (lucky me). Now I'm looking forward to the upcoming Oranje client (well, and maybe Adventures still on MF). By the way, Bridge is still the best game in the world, but it's even more exhausting than Dominion and you need a partner to play.

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 12:28:28 pm »

3 years ago?
My brother in law is really into board games (he always has a new one every time I see him) and had his friends over with Intrigue one night.
My first games were 6 player and I thought it was fantastic. It played so fast! (Compared to other card games with friends where turns took 20 min each). I don't remember my first game, but the second game I got a double province turn using tribute as the main way to get money...and I was hooked!

I found the forums just after Iso went down (which was sad).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 12:29:30 pm »

I started playing in 2011 with Ross Merriam and Mat Marr after scrubbing out of Pro Tour Philadelphia

This is the most bizarre thing - I went to high school with Ross Merriam.  At first I thought this guy just happened to have the same name, but nope, that's the guy from my hometown.  I'm Facebook friends with his sister.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 12:51:57 pm »
+10

I was an orphan. I grew up in Pennsylvania in a whorehouse. I read about Donald X and his game on BoardGameGeek or some other site from one of the girls' phones. And I read that some kids had a different life. I could picture it. I dreamt of it. Of being being part of a group, of playing board games, of being wanted. Because the woman who was forced to raise me would look at me every day like she hoped I would disappear. Closest I got to feeling wanted was from a girl who made me go through her John's pockets while they screwed. If I collected enough money, she'd take me to the local board game shop, where they had a copy of Dominion you could play. And I would play with other kids with great ceremony, feeling like a normal kid. It said "game" on the package. It was the only fun thing in my life.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 01:05:30 pm »

Introduced to the game through my sister, who learned it through a friend. Loved it. Started looking up all the cards that currently existed at the time on dominionstrategy.com during a CAD software tutorial. This was soon after Hinterlands game out.

Me too (besides the CAD thing) I found this forum when trying to learn all the cards so that the fan cards I made up wouldn't overlap with any real ones, and to add some diversity into the play experience.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 01:07:15 pm »

When I started playing Dominion, I was taught by my sister who didn't bother putting the Curses in the supply because Witch wasn't in that game.

A few games later, I was playing my first ever Witch kingdom against just my mom, so I thought that this is when we need the Curses in the Supply. And so I put them in the Supply. All of them.

I had a game recently where I forgot to lower the number of curses, and then proceeded to completely flood my sister with curses. From then on, we never forgot again.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 01:15:49 pm »

I first played Dominion at a game night in I think November 2011.  We played Base only, with way too many people (seven, I think) but it didn't matter, I loved the game immediately.  When we finished the second game of Dominion and decided to move on to another game, I said "I'm buying this one.  And soon."  The host of the game night said something to the effect of, "Yeah, you're going to be one of those people that analyzes all the game statistics and stuff and knows every combo and we'll never beat you again."  I said, "Oh no, I'm not going to do that."

I bought the Base set that Christmas, and Intrigue maybe a month later.  Then I started playing on Isotropic and registered for this forum in early 2012.  And here I am.  My friend was right after all, although it's not true that my play group can't beat me now, we usually play 4P and I win <50% of the time.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2016, 02:10:01 pm »

A friend introduced me to the base game when it was somewhat new. After playing one game, I didn't really care for it, since I completely failed to understand why certain cards would be better than others. They all seemed good, and in that game I couldn't see that it made any difference which ones you bought.  :-[

Some time later, at a con, I stepped in for a player who had to leave. It was a Seaside game, and it was kind of fun. I played a few times after that, and started to get it. Still not a game I felt like buying.

Then, at Spill-o-rama in Stavanger, Norway when Prosperity was new, Jay was the guest of honor. He introduced Prosperity, and I got to play a couple of games with him and two other people. First he destroyed us with some sort of Counting House/Bank combo, and I thought those two cards were the key combo of the set. The next game (without those two cards) I won, but I don't remember the kingdom. In any case, I was hooked, and proceeded to buy all the sets.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 03:09:07 pm »

My first game of Dominion ever involved thinking that revealing Moat removed it from your hand.

My second game involved Chancellor being crucial to my victory.

My third game involved getting destroyed by Thief.

My fourth game involved Goons and Elestan.

Edit: Oh, and I first started playing seriously in the summer of 2014. So ALMOST two years.

Given that I know Elestan IRL, now I wonder if I know you IRL...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ratsia

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +113
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 04:22:44 pm »
+3

I was first about to write "I think I tried Dominion rather soon after it was released", but then decided to check the logs in BGG. That changed the answer to "right after it was released".

My first game of Dominion was on October 23rd, 2008. Essen 2008 ended the same day and I wasn't there, so I had to be playing a copy that had arrived to Finland earlier the same day when one of the local hardcore gamers returned from their annual Essen trip. That must have been one of the first games of the published version on Finnish soil.

During November I ended up playing Dominion during four different dates, so it was clearly an instant hit.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 09:24:12 pm »

Someone brought it to a Fourth of July party in 2010, and I enjoyed it then, so my then-girlfriend got me base and Alchemy for my birthday later that year. Then she bought herself Seaside and Prosperity in January, and we broke up shortly thereafter, but continued playing Dominion frequently, and about then was also when she told me about Isotropic.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 10:31:59 pm »

I first played with some friends in college in 2008. Base only because that was all there was. We all thought Bureaucrat was way overpowered. Silver for free, immediately topdeck it, and an attack? Unfair. I only played a few games then. Fast-forward to 2011 and I played once more with a local gaming group; thence I discovered isotropic. Isotropic was the bomb. You could see your entire hand at once and stuff and it was so fast. I found this forum in late 2012 (via the dominionstrategy blog) but never posted until mid-2015.

Sciserr

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2016, 04:04:38 pm »
+4

One particularily slow hospital evening at work, a patient taught me a game card game described by her as "easy to learn,hard to master". 2 months later I have purchased every single expansion from base to adventures,  more or less completely ditched Hearthstone and started participating in the Dominion league online. Life is good when you shuffle the right cards :)
Late to the dominion party - compensatory excessive drinking initiated!

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2016, 01:52:19 pm »

Let's see, I was introduced to the game in Nov/Dec 2011 by my gaming group in college. I thought it was fun, but whatever. A full year later I played it again, and that time got hooked. I got the base set for Christmas, and while I studied abroad that following semester, I made an account on Goko and bought all the expansions.

So short answer, I slowly built up to playing it regularly from the end of 2011 to spring 2013.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2016, 02:09:56 pm »
+1

I forget, maybe 2009?  Me and my brothers got both Base and Intrigue, and it took us a while to realize that we actually hadn't gotten duplicate gifts.

In my very first game, I went straight for the Scout/Great Hall combo.  Not sure if that worked, but it's hilarious in retrospect.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2016, 02:28:44 pm »

When Base, Intrigue and Seaside were out (and Alchemy, maybe Prosperity).

So that makes it 2010.

I only remember that Festival was a great card.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2016, 03:09:12 pm »
+1

A "horror" story I remember from my super early days of playing was getting torched by Torturer.  I then thought it was a super OP'ed card.  Next game, I bought like 6 of them, but there were no villages.  I would play a Torturer, then draw like 2 more Torturers.  I remember getting beat real badly again.  I learned that having a lot of a powerful card is not enough; drawing Coppers would be better than those extra Torturers.  I think I even called those types of cards something, what we call them as "terminals".  But I don't remember what I called them.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2016, 03:15:56 pm »
+1

A "horror" story I remember from my super early days of playing was getting torched by Torturer.  I then thought it was a super OP'ed card.  Next game, I bought like 6 of them, but there were no villages.  I would play a Torturer, then draw like 2 more Torturers.  I remember getting beat real badly again.  I learned that having a lot of a powerful card is not enough; drawing Coppers would be better than those extra Torturers.  I think I even called those types of cards something, what we call them as "terminals".  But I don't remember what I called them.

We had Normal Actions, Villages, and Ghosts.

In my mind, I still sometime refer to all-terminal kingdoms as "completely normal".

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2016, 12:45:50 am »
+3

I first started playing Dominion in December 2010. I had read a lot of great reviews about it, but particularly I was looking for a good two-person game for my wife and I. There seemed to be great consensus on Dominion being excellent for 2 players. Still I wasn't sure about a "board game" that was just cards.  "Where's the board?" I soon found out that it was definitely not necessary.

Since Prosperity had just been released shortly before my purchase, I had a few expansions to choose from. Ultimately, I chose base Dominion and Prosperity as my first purchases. I believe it was the addition of Colonies and Platinums along with victory tokens that made me go with Prosperity, rather than Intrigue or Seaside.  To this day, there are many cards in Prosperity that I enjoy seeing in the game.  The attacks in Prosperity also didn't seem as "mean" as some in Intrigue and Seaside.

Ironically, the day I received the games, some friends from out of state stopped in for a visit. So I had this new game I was dying to play, but it was designed for 4 people and we had 6. I knew Intrigue added cards and rules for 6, so I looked them up.  Our first game was 5 people. (My wife sat out to do some other things.) We played with just the treasures from the base set and used some blanks for the extra Provinces and Estates. We played the recommended first game. It was a big hit. We played several games over the next couple of days.  Though at first we were confused by it, it did not take us too long to understand the benefits of Chapel. My wife particularly loved it. It is probably still her favorite card to this day.

After our friends left, we tried it with just the two of us, and it was even better. Shortly thereafter I purchased Intrigue, soon followed by Seaside. It did not take me long to start sleeving my investment. A great side benefit is that you can slide something different into the sleeve to test new cards or create ones that you don't have at the time. I have purchased all of the expansions and promos except for Alchemy. I had absolutely no interest in Possession and wasn't so sure about some of the others in the expansion. After I bought the basis treasures set, I now had Potions. So I used my extra old sleeved treasures to make the cards I wanted to try from Alchemy, tho it has eventually grown to include all of them but Possession.

My wife loves to play board games with me, but no other game comes close to Dominion as to how often she wants to play it. We both love the variety the game has and how each kingdom has its unique aspects that direct the flow of the game. We play at least weekly, and usually more than once per week. I have tried to introduce other games into our routine. We enjoy most of them, but we always come back to Dominion because it is our favorite.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2016, 03:15:13 am »
+2

I found out about Dominion all the way back in 2009, because of Brettspielwelt, which I think I only signed up for at first to play Powergrid (or was it Caylus). I got hooked reaaaally quick. Asked my housemate if he wanted to split the cost of Intrigue between the two of us. We bought Seaside shortly after. We started bringing people from college to play with us (I remember an awesome 5 player game with Pirate ship; I was the only one that realized what was going to happen, and used Secret Chamber + Pearl Diver + Conspirator to "escape" the pin before it was too late). I signed up for this forum by the end of the year to learn strategies (second forum I ever signed up for, after Civfanatics). At some point I realized that I enjoyed the wit of the people in here nearly as much or more than actual Dominion, so I kept hanging out here even after I lost my gaming group.

Oh and Kirian, I am not as old as you think I am :P
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2016, 04:14:19 am »

Oh and Kirian, I am not as old as you think I am :P

Now I wonder how old people think I am. Although, I have littered around enough info for people to figure that out.

I started playing in between Seaside and Prosperity, summer 2010. I got hooked by my 2nd game (the first game I won, by playing Festival/Gardens). Played it a bunch in real life, then discovered Iso and started playing a ton there once I didn't have easy access to paper Dominion. Fun fact: I've never owned Dominion. Ever.

I wasn't active all the time, I took a few months-long hiatuses when I went on huge loss streaks. That year was also the year I wrote my own Dominion implementation in Java and playtested a custom expansion on it. (The old-timers here probably remember which expansion that was.) I think I also sent a pull request for Geronimoo's Simulator? Now that I look back, Dominion has given me many excuses to practice programming, a lot more than I would have done otherwise.

I don't play Dominion that often, but I still try to get a few games in now and then. The forums on the other hand are an incredibly addictive habit. It's a very unique community, and although I suspect similar communities exist, I haven't found any of them.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2016, 05:31:21 am »
+7

I started playing Dominion after the kingdom was set up on the table.

*ducks*
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2016, 03:01:52 am »

First game of Dominion was at a board game convention that focused on Eurogames, the year Dominion came out in 2008.  It looked interesting, with numerous stacks of cards.  It was on my "want to play list".  I never ended up getting to it, or so I thought.  It was 2am.  There were roughly 5 or 6 tables of average 3.5 players each still going on that late at night.  I asked if anybody was around to teach Dominion, and if there were any sets still available.  One guy said yes, pointing me to a group.  I did my first 4p game then (First game preset).  So simple, but so magical.  Did another game (back-to-back with Big Money preset).  Somebody saw the utility of Chapel, thinning out your deck.  Don't think anybody tried out Throne Room, as I remember somebody saying you'd need to have 2 actions to be able to utilize it (missing that TR itself lets you play a card from your hand, without requiring an action at that point).  When we checked out some of the other cards that came with the game, but didn't get a chance to get to, Thief looked nasty.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.