Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: When did you start playing Dominion  (Read 15077 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
When did you start playing Dominion
« on: April 14, 2016, 09:05:38 pm »
+1

When did you start playing Dominion? Any horror stories (village idiot, Thief is a good card, etc)? What order did you buy/play with the expansions? Did you at first not like Dominion?

So many questions!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:20:01 pm by Roadrunner7671 »
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: When did you start playing Dominiom?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 09:12:24 pm »
+2

I've never played Dominiom before. I have no horrir stories either.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: When did you start playing Dominiom?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 09:20:14 pm »

I've never played Dominiom before. I have no horrir stories either.
Fixed  :-[

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: When did you start playing Dominion
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 09:49:13 pm »
+4

My junior year of college, so either 2009 or 2010. It was pretty much an instant hit in my gaming group. I remember my first or second game had adventurer and I was the only one who bought it and I won so I came to the conclusion that it was super good. I also remember when alchemy came out and my friend was like "man, does Dominion need another expansion?"
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 10:44:08 pm »

IIRC, it was summer of 2012, someone introduced me to the game. They only had Intrigue and said ~'you can play the game with the Base set or Intrigue, but Intrigue is more interesting'. So I got Intrigue first. Now I have about eight expansions including Adventures, and I still don't have the physical base set.

It was about a year later before I found Dominion online and fds (soon after Isotropic shut down).

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 10:55:05 pm »
+12

The first time I played Dominion was at a Quaker gathering (I'm a Quaker) in July 2014. People had been playing it throughout the week, and someone had left it in the blanket fort. My friend who had just played her first game decided to teach two of us how to play. We dealt out 10 randomizer cards, which included some of the basic treasures so we were confused. After we had gotten a few turns in, the owner of the game came in and told us we were doing it wrong; for one thing we had shuffled the randomizers in with the rest of the cards. We then played one of the suggested games. I bought a few Gardens, thinking this is such a good card, it makes use of all the cards I buy in the end! They were worth like 2 points and I lost.
A few days later, some guy had Prosperity and we played a 6 player game with Goons and King's Court, except with the house rule that you couldn't King's Court a King's Court. I'm not sure why, but it was after that game that I knew I had to get Dominion.
So the next semester I ordered the big box on Amazon. I didn't play all that much during the year, but it was about a year before I won my first game. I found the strategy wiki and started reading that more and more.
And then the next year, at the 2015 big Quaker gathering, I brought Dominion with me. And played it several times every day. And won a lot. The person who had first introduced me to Dominion was now really into Ascension. I played it twice and won both times (the first time by a lot and the second time by one point) but it just wasn't the same. And throughout the rest of the summer I just couldn't stop reading articles on the wiki and playing online.
For my birthday in August, all I asked for was Amazon gift cards. I bought all of the expansions and got them the first day of that semester. And I got the rest of the promos over the next few months.
Since then, I've had a pretty steady group of people who play IRL every week, and that group was a large part of how I got to know my girlfriend. Also I decided to start posting on the forums, and I found all of you awesome people. Now that I'm leaving college, I've been worried that I'll lose most of my friends and my community. But then I realized I'm part of this community, and I'll stay part of this community no matter where I live. So thanks guys!

Wow, that post was a lot more than "when did I start playing Dominion?". It may sound cheesy, but Dominion had really done a lot for me since I started playing less than 2 years ago.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:06:23 am by J Reggie »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 11:00:36 pm »
+3

So your Quaker meeting plays Dominion and builds blanket forts. Wow.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 11:03:11 pm »
+3

i am really convinced that the whole thing where people think the game is bad early on because of smithy and gold is sort of over-represented. the treasure cards have so much less text than the grey ones, why would i bother with those? it was immediately clear that there are a lot of different ways to do things and the primitive engine as well as card interactions are just naturally compelling to understand. as well, information from the interwebs about strategy flowed in slowly and allowed us to realized that we had the privilege of making assumptions that were super wrong and it was controversial that chapel was good but then things started to make sense.

hinterlands was the first expansion we got. we had a concept of 'doublejack' before 'big money'
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 11:11:07 pm »
+3

i am really convinced that the whole thing where people think the game is bad early on because of smithy and gold is sort of over-represented.

I know one man who thinks this, who is absolutely convinced the best way to win all the time is something-Big Money, every time. He has dismissed this game as boring, and when I thwacked him with an engine, he told me that I set up the kingdom in a particular way so that I'd win automatically. I'm going to have him set up the kingdom next time so he can't possibly whine about it.

I also played a 3 player Adventures game on the same day with this guy and some other guy who has never played Dominion before, and of course, I got last place. Hireling must be pretty good, I guess.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:13:11 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 11:12:07 pm »

That's pretty much young-adult Quakers for you. I'd like to try silent IRL Dominion sometime, but it'd have to be with people who really know the game.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 11:18:48 pm »

That's pretty much young-adult Quakers for you. I'd like to try silent IRL Dominion sometime, but it'd have to be with people who really know the game.
I used to go to Quaker meetings quite often, but you have to wake up really early for that. It's a great way to meet seniors though (or at least my Quaker meeting is).

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 11:24:48 pm »

My first game of Dominion ever involved thinking that revealing Moat removed it from your hand.

My second game involved Chancellor being crucial to my victory.

My third game involved getting destroyed by Thief.

My fourth game involved Goons and Elestan.

Edit: Oh, and I first started playing seriously in the summer of 2014. So ALMOST two years.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:43:25 pm by Elanchana »
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 11:27:51 pm »

I begun my Dominion journey two years ago, when I lived in Virginia. I was in high school, after class, on some Wednesday board game thing hosted by the programming teacher. He was a great guy, and he had a lot of fun games, but the one I remembered the most was Dominion. (The other game that was super fun was called Shadow Hunters, that game was awesome. Spear of Longinus, bro!)

I think I just bought money the whole time, with a couple of action cards. I wasn't really intrigued by the game, because it was 6 player, and so it was super slow and boring to me. I heard that my teacher was super good at the game, so I decided to study up on the game, so I could get really good, just in case. I ended up finding this forum, though I didn't really join it then. I also saw the card Jester, and somehow got the idea in my head that it was the best card in the game, don't know why.

So I found out Dominion was online, and I started playing. It suddenly got very fun, because it was a lot quicker. To this day, I hate 4 player games and I can only tolerate 3 player games. It's just way too long, I hate waiting. And I've never to this day won a larger than 2 player Dominion game. So yeah.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 11:36:09 pm »

I played in 2011, I think. I started with base. I was a horrible player. I bought coppers for crying out loud. Then again that's what the person who taught me did. He also saw no point for Chapel. I must admit, I was also confused by it.

A few months later, my mom got Intrigue and I thought it was awesome. Then, I started playing on iso. Hinterlands was out at that time. I was still a very bad player. My level was in the negative, then someone told me about this forum, and I got better.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 11:41:18 pm »
+3

I learned when it was new enough that Intrigue didn't exist yet. A few things I remember:

- When Village and Smithy were both present; that was the obvious first and second buy. And you felt so happy/lucky when you got them both in the same hand on your first shuffle. Didn't occur to me that the results of that were exactly the same as buying Smithy and nothing.

- Spy was super popular; they would always all get bought.

- If you had 2 Throne Rooms and another action in hand, you laid down all 3 cards and played that other action 4 times.

- We sometimes played with all 25 Kingdom piles available. Also once played that way with 6 players.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 11:48:47 pm »
+5

I've been playing less than a year. I'm a former MtG addict. It's been 642 days since my last game of Magic (sold my 20-year-old collection. cold turkey.) I tried Dominion while teaching a strategy games elective at a local high school and was immediately hooked. I had a brief "oh, no" moment, but realized that it was, in fact, possible to own the whole thing for a relatively modest investment, including custom storage solution and sleeves, and that it would not consume so much head space. Plus, it's a great family/friends game since there's no mechanism for picking on particular opponents.

I went and read the whole wiki early on and started practicing the principles. I always coach new players, and even not-so-new players who insist on doing, um, shall we say, sub-optimal things. Is it wrong to scold players who open Steward and then use it as coin on Steward/Estate/3xCopper hands so they can get that $5 they really want (and then complain later that they only draw the Steward with cards they don't want to trash?)

Great game. There's always something new to learn to improve your play, but without being overwhelming.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 11:55:45 pm »
+5

I started playing in August or September of 2011, right after Cornucopia was released. My friend invited me to play the game on isotropic, and I obliged because I had just recently discovered board games better than stuff I grew up with like Monopoly, Sorry, etc and was enjoying the new experiences. My first game was with 4 players and had Scrying Pool, which seemed really cool to me at the time even though I had no idea what I was doing with it. The fact that I was able to accept all the expansion cards right away is the reason I don't really get why people try to simplify the game so much for new players; to me what made Dominion compelling was that the cards were always new and exciting. I got great strategy tips from those people like 'always buy anything with +card/+action' and 'attacks don't really matter much in this game.' Anyway, my group of online friends all started trying the game out, and we must have played several hundred times together, just learning all the cards. My prior CCG knowledge helped me adapt to certain aspects of the game, like trashing, fairly quickly.

When Hinterlands came around, we had a great time experimenting with the new stuff. It was around then that I had found strategy articles and started reading up, annoying my friends who didn't really care about getting better on the same level. Around when Dark Ages came out and isotropic didn't get it, my group basically stopped playing, and once Goko showed up and iso was shut down, my friends tried it once and never played with me again. So as much as people are probably tired of hearing isotropic pining, for me there was a legitimate loss there so I'm sympathetic to those who miss it.

Several months before Dark Ages came out, I bought all the physical sets and showed my wife how to play the game. She got really in to it for a while. (and still beats me regularly when we play, which is a rare occurrence) Once the buzz kind of died down for her, I was pretty much just stuck with the online community aside from once in a blue moon when visiting the one or two friends I have that play board games. It hasn't been all bad, I've had fun, and playtesting was a cool experience, but sometimes I'm nostalgic for those earlier days.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 12:05:43 am »
+1

Introduced to the game through my sister, who learned it through a friend. Loved it. Started looking up all the cards that currently existed at the time on dominionstrategy.com during a CAD software tutorial. This was soon after Hinterlands game out.

Learned a lot about the game through this forum and Isotropic. Still play it occasionally IRL.

I was the guy trying out Chancellor, Gardens, and Thief. That accursed Thief was so useless! I never bought Moneylender because I though trashing Coppers was a bad thing in the long run. The fact that's it's a terminal Silver was lost on me. My sister would often go money-heavy, and her boyfriend at the time was the village idiot, except it wasn't so idiodic when he would load up on Laboratory and leave me frustrated.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:06:57 am by markusin »

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 12:17:38 am »
+2

I was introduced to Dominion by my sister and her husband back in....oh....a long time ago.  Maybe 2009?  Before they had any kids (now they have 3).  Sounds about right because they only had Intrigue and it came out in 2009.  Anyway, I don't remember much about those games except they were 3-4 player games and everyone was kind of learning at the same time.

Then there was this big break in my Dominion career before a friend of mine at school introduced me to isotropic Dominion as well as the Homage to the Best Card thread.  Unhappily, my introduction to Isotropic was timed just right...you know, spring 2013. Anyway, enough time to play enough Dominion to get me hooked.  I remember my first game when I actually beat a great player.  It was against lespeutere, and I saved the log.  Looking at it now, I was still a total noob, but progression happened over time and many thousand games for me.  I probably would never have gotten involved with f.ds had it not been for Kirian's GokoDom tournament.  I enjoy tournaments and such a lot, and GokoDom II: Suntastic Summerish Season was just what I needed to push me into the fray.  My performance left something to be desired, but it got me in the door.  Posting my games (like my first post on the forums), talking about them...that was primarily all I did on the forum.  Until that fateful day....when I played Toy Story Mafia.  What a great game.  And so I became more and more involved on the forum.  Kept playing more and more Dominion.  And here I am.  Still playing Dominion.  Still getting better (hopefully). 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 12:20:12 am »
+2

Most of the long-time forumers seem to be saying they got into Dominion in 2011, and that's more or less the case for me; the summer of 2011 is when I really got interested in playing Dominion.  But I was introduced to the game in December of 2010: my sister had bought it as a gift "for the family" for Christmas, and the four of us (me, sister, parents) played a couple games, and it seemed pretty neat.  My sister quite liked it, and had played with a couple of the expansions, but for me it was more of a "well, that was fun" sort of thing.

For whatever reason, in the summer of 2011 I was intrigued (ha) by the game again.  I scrounged out the box from under the family room coffee table and just kind of read through the rules some more, picking through the cards, and eventually convinced some of my friends from high school to play with me.  I think there were five of us all playing base set games, having a blast, cheering on the guy who bought all the Villages (not me).  By that point, I had pretty much decided that the "family" copy was now "my" copy, and I brought it back to college with me.

At college, I showed it to other people, some more interested than others.  One group of people had played with it before, and I was encouraged to pick up expansions, which I did - Intrigue, then Prosperity, then Alchemy.  I remember first opening up Alchemy and getting my ass kicked by the guy who picked up University (I only really saw the +2 Actions on it) and basically gained the entire Laboratory pile.  Then there were the all-Prosperity games with Mountebank, Peddler, Rabble, King's Court, Worker's Village, City, Watchtower and Grand Market all shoved in together with the Colonies and Platina.  It was at this point that I was realizing that there was more to most of these cards than what a cursory glance was telling me.  There were more interesting interactions.

Eventually I found isotropic, and then these forums.  I remember getting all excited for Hinterlands coming out, and all amped up by the previews.  I got Seaside for Christmas that year, and ended up getting Hinterlands and Cornucopia eventually as well, coming back to the spring semester at college with every expansion.  I remember trying to figure out where I'd put all the boxes.

Once Dark Ages came out, I had moved to a different state, and didn't really have anyone in person to play with anymore, but I still got the set anyway.  I loved the game, and I loved the community of players I had found.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:21:53 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 12:44:59 am »
+1

Back in September-or-so of 2011, I played a game with some base set cards, and like an average person, bought some of everything and got crushed by a now-hilarious deck that consisted of like a few Adventurers and a Chapeled-down deck that had some Golds for the Adventurers to find.  Somehow this bought like 4 provinces pretty fast and won.  The next game we mixed in some Intrigue cards in a 6-player (!) game that ended in everyone destroying everyone's deck with all the Saboteurs.  I think I bought some Nobles but they all got trashed.

Despite this disaster, I actually loved the game and ended up playing a bunch on Isotropic (!!) shortly after.  But when my friend finally caved and bought Seaside and we spent an entire day playing Base/Seaside kingdoms using all the cards we had at that point, I knew this game was on a whole other level from anything I'd played before.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 01:35:49 am »
+2

I started playing in 2011 with Ross Merriam and Mat Marr after scrubbing out of Pro Tour Philadelphia

Mat, having played the game before, went for a Smithy-BM variant, while everyone else stacked Workshops. Workshop gains a card costing up to $4, so it must be better than Gold, right? Eventually we realized you need to hit $8 to buy a Province, although the Workshop players were having more fun, so we kept buying Workshops anyways

When I moved to California, my friend Dustin (from Minnesota) re-introduced me to the game and I started playing online. I started playing competitively in 2014 after Silverspawn introduced me to isotropish and f.ds

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 03:37:40 am »
+1

I first played Dominion around 2010 or 2011. A friend of mine owned Intrigue and we started playing. I can't remember most of the 'strategies' I used, but I do remember one game where I bought a huge number of Nobles because I thought using one for +2 Actions and the next for +3 Cards was really good. I guess it was a basic engine, although the specifics of it could have been better.

Although I immediately liked the game and wanted to play it whenever I was at his place, I didn't become hooked instantly. After some time we started to hang out not as often anymore, and I didn't play Dominion for quite some time. Then in late 2014, I joined a local board game club and rediscovered Dominion, playing the Base game and later Prosperity and Dark Ages for the first time. I got crushed by the more experienced players who did cool engine-like stuff, though, so that's when I started looking up strategy advice online. And behold, in early 2015 I stumbled upon the Dominion Strategy wiki. I've been addicted since.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2016, 05:17:39 am »
+1

I was introduced by two friends by the end of 2013/beginning of 2014. I usually heavily dislike deckbuilders so, I  declined playing for quite a while, thank goodness they were persistent since Dominion has none of the issues I have with deckbuilders. Unfortunately, my friends are the kind of people who don't like reading manuals nor have they the patience for me to read the manual properly. That resulted in some horrible variations of the game:

-We never shuffled, we just put the cards we used on a turn on the bottom.

-We shuffled after every turn

Luckily, it still got me interested, and we got the rules correctly after a few more awkward experiences. After a few months I was hyped enough to read some strategy advice (the Chapel revolution began). Eventually, I bought another expansion for the group, but I never got to play with anyone else since I didn't have any base cards which meant that I played only a few times a month. I was still pretty horrible, buying pretty much random stuff everytime altough some things that you might call engines came around.

After one of my friends moved away I discovered online Dominion in February 2015 so we could still play. We all paid 13€ to get all the expansions online, luckily on my account :)
I got immediately hooked to the game, first playing through the campaigns after getting stomped online (kinda hard to play if you have to read 5 new cards each time). I also had a good time watching Qvist's videos, trying to figure out what each of the cards did and why some strategies work and stuff. Then I thought how cool would it be if some people actually livestreamed the game. So I caught one of our Dutch overlords playing against Japan in the world championship, where all the cool people in the chat directed me to the League, which made me stay here.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 05:49:44 am »
+3

When I started playing Dominion, I was taught by my sister who didn't bother putting the Curses in the supply because Witch wasn't in that game.

A few games later, I was playing my first ever Witch kingdom against just my mom, so I thought that this is when we need the Curses in the Supply. And so I put them in the Supply. All of them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.