Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: When did you start playing Dominion  (Read 15148 times)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: When did you start playing Dominion
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2016, 08:04:34 am »

I started when base became Spiel des Jahres. I was instantly hooked as I realised that it is like Magic, only with a level playing field. In the first games I thought that you must use all your buys, and consequently bought more copper than was good to me. The existence of the Chapel card suggested that deck thinning, as in Magic, should be a thing. My (then 6yo) son had lots of fun with the Spy -> Thief combo.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2016, 11:01:56 am »

as I remember somebody saying you'd need to have 2 actions to be able to utilize it (missing that TR itself lets you play a card from your hand, without requiring an action at that point). 
Wow.  That would be a seriously bad card!

I played my first game ages ago (my 1st year as an undergrad, I think - ie. 5ish years ago) at the house of a friend of mine.  I can't even remember how it went, except that I didn't win, but did OK.  I think the utility of Chapel was demonstrated to me pretty clearly by the guy who taught me (he won).  I remember absolutely adoring it, but couldn't get it myself because I was poor.

Then a couple of years passed, I had more money and I bought a copy of the game for my flatmate for his birthday, taught him and my other flatmate the rules (which had stuck in my head, pretty much, "such an awesome game", etc.), and went from there.  It was clear enough to them how much I loved the game that all future expansions were gifts to me from them rather than the other way around!
That was maybe 2 years ago now.  Long enough for me to feel able to theorycraft pretty well, but my execution in 2 player games remains deeply average, if only because noone plays 2p games with me IRL any more - I win those fairly consistently against my IRL friends, who don't (afaik) frequent f.ds.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2016, 02:35:28 pm »
+5

I got invited on a date, he was a bit of a dork, he brought it with him, I fell in love with the wrong thing.

(This is the better story, but I'm torn as to whether he showed me isotropic first)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:37:58 pm by Max »

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2016, 02:04:23 am »
+1

I was instantly hooked as I realised that it is like Magic, only with a level playing field.

I only started playing Magic a couple of years back, but I quickly learned what a wallet-draining experience it was going to be. To dig myself out of that pit, I picked up vanilla and convinced a friend to play it - of course we used all Curses for the first ten games. We are not smart men.

We quickly moved onto Seaside: Pirate Shipping each other to eternity and Embargoing every damn thing out of spite. And despite never having a lot of time for IRL games, I've still managed to pick up all the expansions and we've now roped other folks into it.

Good times.

Now that I look back, Dominion has given me many excuses to practice programming, a lot more than I would have done otherwise.

I've definitely found that playing Dominion in my second language has helped me along. Partly due to import costs/times of English versions, partly due to just increased usage of common, but not everyday words. Like Alchemist. When does that not come in handy?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.