Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First Game with a newbie and seaside  (Read 1822 times)

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
First Game with a newbie and seaside
« on: April 13, 2016, 11:07:14 pm »
+2

This weekend I'm getting seaside from amazon, and I have an old friend coming over to play board games. He's never played Dominion before, and as I'm getting cards that are new to me, I want to use them during his first game, to keep it exciting for me. I'd like to adjust the first game recommend set of ten from the base set with seaside cards, and was looking for suggestions as to what to replace. I know I'm replacing moat with the lighthouse, but I'd really appreciate a couple more suggestions.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:08:27 pm by MatthewCA »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: First Game with a newbie and seaside
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 11:12:35 pm »
+3

Workshop -> Smugglers
Cellar -> Warehouse
Remodel -> Salvager
Militia -> Cutpurse

I would not introduce Durations in a first game.  Stick to Moat, for the first game at least.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 12:34:17 am »

Workshop -> Smugglers
Cellar -> Warehouse
Remodel -> Salvager
Militia -> Cutpurse

I would not introduce Durations in a first game.  Stick to Moat, for the first game at least.

Market-> Treasury ($5 Peddler variant)
Moat->Pearl Diver ($2 card)
Mine->Explorer (Treasure gainer)
Woodcutter->Navigator (You already get +Buy from Salvager, and Navigator gives you another weak Terminal Silver).

Fishing Village is probably too complex for a first game, so you should stick with base Village. You might be able to get away with Wharf or Caravan for Smithy, depending on your friend's prior gaming experience, because they are probably the simplest Duration cards.

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 03:46:26 pm »

*Workshop -> Smugglers
*Cellar -> Warehouse
Remodel -> Salvager
Militia -> Cutpurse

Market-> Treasury ($5 Peddler variant)
Moat->Pearl Diver ($2 card)
*Mine->Explorer (Treasure gainer)
Woodcutter->Navigator (You already get +Buy from Salvager, and Navigator gives you another weak Terminal Silver).

Fishing Village is probably too complex for a first game, so you should stick with base Village. You might be able to get away with Wharf or Caravan for Smithy, depending on your friend's prior gaming experience, because they are probably the simplest Duration cards.

Thanks for the input, I've inserted * by the selections I'm going to use. Acting on werothegreat's advice I'll shy away from duration cards, hopefully he picks it up fast and we can introduce some of them. He does play Magic, but I'm not sure how much that'll help him because I don't play Magic myself.

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 05:38:42 pm »

You don't have to worry. ;)
A friend of mine was a Magic player years ago. He learnd Dominion within few turns and went for engines from the start.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 05:56:45 pm »
+4

I like Moat --> Lighthouse.

I've found no additional learning curve to introducing durations instead of reactions to a new player. I actually like Lighthouse better than Moat because you can help him remember what to do without being obnoxious. With Lighthouse, just remind him to keep it in play, don't clean it up, and when you attack, remind him when appropriate the attack doesn't affect him.

Moat gets annoying because you ask every time you play an attack: "Do you have a Moat?" (At least if you are being nice helping him learn the first couple of games.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 20 queries.