MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: April 13, 2016, 11:00:11 pm »
+11

Hi,

I'm a fairly new player, although I first played Dominion about 6 years ago. About halfway through my first game I stopped, looked at my buddy who was teaching me to play and told him this game was genius. This year I finally broke down and bought the base set and taught my wife to play, and some of my family and her family too. I've since bought intrigue and seaside and prosperity are arriving tomorrow.

I'd have to say my favorite cards are trash-for-benefit, moneylender, remodel, upgrade, and mine. I'm glad I found a place to talk Dominion.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 11:03:34 pm »
+10

Welcome!

Careful about staying too long. People have been known to experience the phenomenon of getting a lot better at dominion than their friends, then their friends don't play as much dominion with them anymore.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 11:30:40 pm »

Welcome!

How do you feel about Scout?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 11:50:33 pm »
+1

You can find even more games to play with your family here.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:51:59 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:51:55 pm »

You can find even more games to play with your family here.
We're not going to the other board game thread, are we?

MatthewCA

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 05:13:04 am »
+5

Welcome!

Not a big fan of scout, on paper it sounds like a cool way to set up your next turn, in practice it's pretty pointless, it doesn't even cost enough to be good fodder for trash-for-benefit. Maybe Empires will finally have a card that makes the scout better.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 07:46:02 am »

Welcome!

Not a big fan of scout, on paper it sounds like a cool way to set up your next turn, in practice it's pretty pointless, it doesn't even cost enough to be good fodder for trash-for-benefit. Maybe Empires will finally have a card that makes the scout better.
I don't know if you're unaware of the in joke or just pretending to be, but either way this made me chuckle.  :D 

(Filling you in if necessary: Roadrunner has a thing where he loves Scout way too much, everyone else is with you and thinks Scout is pointless.)
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 08:11:09 am »

Welcome!

And here I thought I'd make a new bud.  :-\

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 08:15:59 am »

Welcome!

I don't know if you're unaware of the in joke or just pretending to be, but either way this made me chuckle.  :D 

(Filling you in if necessary: Roadrunner has a thing where he loves Scout way too much, everyone else is with you and thinks Scout is pointless.)

I don't think Scout is pointless. It's great to have a card that doesn't do anything, because that way you can essentially design 9-card kingdoms if you like, by making the 10th card Scout.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 08:22:48 am »

Welcome!

I don't think Scout is pointless. It's great to have a card that doesn't do anything, because that way you can essentially design 9-card kingdoms if you like, by making the 10th card Scout.
MatthewCA, meet Awaclus.  (Pronunciation: Contrarian) :P
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 08:26:59 am »
+1

I'm not a contrarian!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 08:55:59 am »
+1

Welcome!

I mean, it's true that I have stated that there is no right or wrong way to pronounce Awaclus given that it's not an actual word, but I think that's pushing it a little.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 09:03:44 am »

Welcome!

I mean, it's true that I have stated that there is no right or wrong way to pronounce Awaclus given that it's not an actual word, but I think that's pushing it a little.
Don't feel bad. My entire username (and by extension my Internet persona) derives from a common mispronunciation of my real name.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 10:55:16 am »

I'd have to say my favorite cards are trash-for-benefit, moneylender, remodel, upgrade, and mine.

Then you'll love Bishop, it's such a good card! Also, welcome to f.ds.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 11:46:04 am »
+1

Welcome!

Roadrunner has a thing where he pretends to love Scout way too much in order to troll people. It's an important distinction.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 11:54:50 am »

Welcome!

Roadrunner has a thing where he pretends to love Scout way too much in order to troll people. It's an important distinction.
Ding dong you are wrong.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 01:55:52 pm »
+2

Welcome!

Ding dong you are wrong.
You're wrong. Just like having a scout in your deck is wrong.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

MatthewCA

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 03:31:05 pm »
+1

Welcome!

I was aware of the joke, read about it last night on a different thread. The only appeal it has is if great hall, nobles or Harem are out. I don't think scout is the worst card, but I've never gone for it.

Also, thanks for all the welcomes, you all sure know how to make a noob like me feel welcome.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:33:58 pm by MatthewCA »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 05:05:07 pm »

The only appeal it has is if great hall, nobles or Harem are out.

That's not good enough. Scout does very little for you at a pretty significant cost (taking up a stop card slot in your deck), but it does a bunch of different very little things. It draws your green cards on the top of your deck, it lets you reorder the top of your deck, and it's a non-terminal Action. All of these things are usually not at all useful, and even when they are useful, the benefit is really small. But in the rare situation where you can utilize all of those things, their combined effect is just barely enough to make Scout better than nothing in your deck. At that point, you only need to be able to have the decision between Scout and nothing, and gaining the Scout is actually a good idea.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 20 queries.