Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Official(?) Dominion App Available on iTunes  (Read 37945 times)

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
Re: Official(?) Dominion App Available on iTunes
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2012, 03:37:28 pm »

Yeah, this is the same reason Apple avoids announcing products before they're ready to be sold, because they are so bad that if people knew about them ahead of time, they would never buy them.

Or wait, maybe it's that they want to generate interest in the app when it's actually available to buy.

If I were making an Apple analogy, I would actually go the other way.

Apple is notoriously secretive, unless they don't have an existing product on the market. The original iPhone, for example, was announced months before it was released, as Apple did not have a phone in the market yet, so they wouldn't be hurting sales of their existing phone.

RGG has no Dominion app for sale right now. So following Apple Business Practices™ they have nothing to lose by whetting our appetites ahead of time. If anything, maybe telling us anything at all would stop a couple people from buying that Gundabad nonsense.

I am not making an Apple analogy, however. So I'm just going to continue remaining cautiously optimistic that the official app doesn't suck, since I have nothing else to go on.
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2012, 03:43:47 pm »

Yeah, this is the same reason Apple avoids announcing products before they're ready to be sold, because they are so bad that if people knew about them ahead of time, they would never buy them.

Or wait, maybe it's that they want to generate interest in the app when it's actually available to buy.

That's a pretty decent parallel. 

Another one could be to recent design changes by facebook, google reader, etc.  No matter how good it is (and i'm not going to pass judgement on facebook design changes to avoid flamewars), it will almost certainly be different.  Some people will like it, others won't, and the people who won't will be louder on the internet.

Now I think that DougZ has done an amazing job on isotropic.  It's not "pretty", but it suits this communities (hard core dominion players) needs very well.  It has a leaderboard, log exports for parsing, runs well on everything than touch devices where card re-ordering doesn't work.  (Unless he's changed that?).  It's fast, and because we all have 100% of the cards memorized, provides everything we need to play. 

Even if everything else was the same, the commercial app will almost certainly cost money.  That difference alone will cause some people to complain (isotropic had all of the same stuff and was free, why should I pay money for this?!?!?!)  It will probably use the official card art.  Some of us (myself included) will probably not recognize the cards (I haven't opened my physical copies of cornucopia or hinterlands), and might gripe about that.

So, I think I can understand keeping it under wraps. 

That said, I suspect that the radio silence is more akin to review embargos of games or movies prior to their release date, and that we're going to dissappointed.

I feel like as a developer of a replacement system, I'd want to engage the hardcore-extremely vocal community to ensure that I don't fracture my fanbase.  See http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1065904/counterstrike_global_offensive_valve_interview.html for an interesting interview regarding the counterstrike beta, which attempts to address the concerns of both groups of CS players (those that prefer old skool 1.6 vs. CS:Source)

Maybe Jay already has, and REDACTED just keeping his mouth shut.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:29:13 pm by Captain_Frisk »
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2012, 03:49:00 pm »
+1

I'm amused that I'm the fanbase. I can neither confirm nor deny having been reached out to, as if (hypothetically) I had, and there were some kind of NDA in place, then I wouldn't be allowed to say, though I wouldn't want to lie by saying no, and if I haven't been reached out to, then I can't say that either, as otherwise, my not saying anything in the other case would be tacit to saying something.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2012, 04:09:28 pm »
+1

I'm amused that I'm the fanbase.

Well, when someone else wins 5,000 games and has his own competing youtube channel, i'll go back and edit the post :)

Edit: And now I have.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:29:30 pm by Captain_Frisk »
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2012, 08:45:24 pm »
+1

I'm amused that I'm the fanbase. I can neither confirm nor deny having been reached out to, as if (hypothetically) I had, and there were some kind of NDA in place, then I wouldn't be allowed to say, though I wouldn't want to lie by saying no, and if I haven't been reached out to, then I can't say that either, as otherwise, my not saying anything in the other case would be tacit to saying something.

You should run for office.

Dominion is basically their flagship product right now--based on the fact that the only RGG game I've seen in non-gaming stores is Dominion (compare with Mayfair having Catan in stores).

You never saw Carcassonne in a store? Where do you live?  :)

I meant outside gaming-focused stores.  I've seen Catan, Dominion, and Ticket to Ride in bookstores, but I've never seen another Mayfair, RGG or DOW game in a non-gaming store.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:48:43 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2012, 09:03:41 pm »

You should run for office.

Dominion is basically their flagship product right now--based on the fact that the only RGG game I've seen in non-gaming stores is Dominion (compare with Mayfair having Catan in stores).

You never saw Carcassonne in a store? Where do you live?  :)

I meant outside gaming-focused stores.  I've seen Catan, Dominion, and Ticket to Ride in bookstores, but I've never seen another Mayfair, RGG or DOW game in a non-gaming store.

I've seen Agricola at Barnes & Noble.  I guess that's Z-man, though.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2012, 09:37:32 pm »

I've seen I think all of those at a local Barnes&Noble. Maybe I just have an awesome B&N?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2012, 01:46:17 am »

Apple lol. If it would be like Apple someone would have "forgotten" the app half a year ago in some bar...

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2012, 02:25:34 am »

Apple lol. If it would be like Apple someone would have "forgotten" the app half a year ago in some bar...

I gather you use Android. =P

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2012, 06:14:24 pm »
+1

The Touch Arcade forums are listing the official Dominion Iphone app as being released later this week.  Has anyone seen confirmation of that from Rio Grande Games?

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=118476

Given that no official app appears to have come out, and that the thread has been updated and no longer lists Dominion, AND given that the imitation app was updated on Feb 15th (which might explain why Dominion was in the list), looks like it was a false alarm.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.