Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27  All

Author Topic: Creating Dominion  (Read 207006 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Creating Dominion
« Reply #450 on: June 19, 2016, 06:43:19 pm »

Hey, does this mean that when I'm playing that infinite stalemate game in a 24h restaurant, it'll be over when the heat death of the universe comes? What will be the outcome of that game then?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 19, 2016, 08:37:14 pm »

Hey, does this mean that when I'm playing that infinite stalemate game in a 24h restaurant, it'll be over when the heat death of the universe comes? What will be the outcome of that game then?

The heat death of the universe. You already answered it.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #452 on: June 20, 2016, 02:54:33 am »

That's not the outcome of that game, that's just the ending condition. Who wins the game or is it a tie?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 20, 2016, 09:24:42 am »
+5

That's not the outcome of that game, that's just the ending condition. Who wins the game or is it a tie?

No one wins... The game did not end. Only the universe did.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 20, 2016, 11:09:21 am »
+3

Entropy.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 20, 2016, 01:17:10 pm »
+4

You're apparently eating at Milliways, who cares who wins the game?  Watch the show, meet the dish of the day.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 08, 2016, 02:48:55 pm »
+2

This would be the "you can only play with the intersection of cards owned by the two players" approach.

That would be worse than the "you can play with the union of cards owned by the two players" approach or the "you can play with either players' cards at at time, your choice of whose" approach. The intersection approach means that I can't play with the expansions with a friend who only plays a few games a year, and it means that those who have purchased the expansions won't want to play with those who don't have all the cards.

To me, union for any cards randomly added in kingdoms (the entire kingdom for full random) + the ability to chose specific Kingdom cards only from one person's cards is the way to go.

To avoid extensive free-riding but still allow people to have fun experiences with friends across the country who only play casually, or in a league against people without sets, I'd update this suggestion a bit:

You use the union for any cards randomly added in kingdoms (the entire kingdom for full random) and can chose specific Kingdom cards only from one person's cards. However, the auto-match features will prioritize matching people who have purchased cards with other people who have purchased the cards. If I subscribe to all cards and you don't, we'll only play against each other if we arrange the game specifically (or we may get auto-matched if very few players who subscribe to all cards are online). Of course, there should also be friend lists so it's easy to set up games with your friends.

wujeklew

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 17, 2016, 03:44:06 pm »
+2

- Multi language support

What language? Do you plan Polish language? Only menu or also cards?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #458 on: July 17, 2016, 03:48:06 pm »
+1

To avoid extensive free-riding but still allow people to have fun experiences with friends across the country who only play casually, or in a league against people without sets, I'd update this suggestion a bit:

You use the union for any cards randomly added in kingdoms (the entire kingdom for full random) and can chose specific Kingdom cards only from one person's cards. However, the auto-match features will prioritize matching people who have purchased cards with other people who have purchased the cards. If I subscribe to all cards and you don't, we'll only play against each other if we arrange the game specifically (or we may get auto-matched if very few players who subscribe to all cards are online). Of course, there should also be friend lists so it's easy to set up games with your friends.

I think this is a good idea.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 18, 2016, 10:11:42 am »

That automatch functionality suggestion seems like a good idea.  As someone who didn't buy all the cards on Goko, it was kind of annoying when I queued into another base-only player, got a really good base only board and had a really good evenly matched game, then hit the rematch button and they are gone like the wind to try to find a free ride in the queue.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 03, 2016, 04:09:56 am »

I'm sure that this was already asked, but I'll ask anyway: how do you plan on implementing the promos? Will they cost the same as a full expansion? Also, as new promos are released, would they be lumped into the rest, or would one have to pay a little extra to get that promo for that month, then lump it in next month? Of course, this all assumes that you don't have them each as separate 25 cent packs, because that would just be stupid.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 03, 2016, 01:21:59 pm »

Also, once again not sure if this was brought up before, but making each individual expansion a separate subscriltion really bugs me. I bought the expansions once, IRL, to have the cards. Then I bought them again, online, to play with a larger player base. Now they only work against bots, and now I have to RENT A THIRD COPY to play with that same player base??? If I wanted all the expansions, I would currently be paying $83 PER MONTH, and that doesn't take into account promos, and would only increase as donald releases more expansions.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 03, 2016, 01:31:23 pm »
+2

Also, once again not sure if this was brought up before, but making each individual expansion a separate subscriltion really bugs me. I bought the expansions once, IRL, to have the cards. Then I bought them again, online, to play with a larger player base. Now they only work against bots, and now I have to RENT A THIRD COPY to play with that same player base??? If I wanted all the expansions, I would currently be paying $83 PER MONTH, and that doesn't take into account promos, and would only increase as donald releases more expansions.

Each expansion is not a separate subscription. The proposed price is $3 per month for all Dominion cards that currently exist, including Empires. If another expansion is released after that, you can either:

1. Not get it, and continue paying $3 per month for online play with the cards you had before; or
2. Get it, and pay something like $3.25 per month from now on.

I am just making that latter price up; I don't know for sure how much further expansions may cost and 25¢ is just my guess.

Also, keep in mind that your subscription does not just pay for the cards themselves; it pays for the already-done development on the client, future development on the client, server costs, future expansion creation, etc., all of which you have benefited from and/or may benefit from in the future.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:42:15 pm by singletee »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 03, 2016, 01:56:01 pm »
+3

I'm sure that this was already asked, but I'll ask anyway: how do you plan on implementing the promos? Will they cost the same as a full expansion? Also, as new promos are released, would they be lumped into the rest, or would one have to pay a little extra to get that promo for that month, then lump it in next month? Of course, this all assumes that you don't have them each as separate 25 cent packs, because that would just be stupid.
I do not know how promos will be handled. The basic idea is to use them promotionally, however best benefits the individual publishers. We talked about them a little but I don't think it was really decided.

Me personally, I would not sell them; I would probably give them out a few different ways, e.g. you get one for beating a campaign or winning a tournament.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 03, 2016, 03:06:17 pm »
+2

I do not know how promos will be handled. The basic idea is to use them promotionally, however best benefits the individual publishers. We talked about them a little but I don't think it was really decided.

Me personally, I would not sell them; I would probably give them out a few different ways, e.g. you get one for beating a campaign or winning a tournament.

But if people aren't able to play using the union of their card sets, wouldn't you only be able to play with the promos vs people who also won the tournament?

(Side note, I still think fracturing the player base by not allowing people to use the union of their sets is a terrible idea.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: August 03, 2016, 03:30:33 pm »
+4

But if people aren't able to play using the union of their card sets, wouldn't you only be able to play with the promos vs people who also won the tournament?
Probably we would solve that problem by solving it.

chrisjwmartin

• Swindler
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 26, 2016, 01:08:05 pm »

Am I the only one who is not exactly very excited to pay a monthly fee to be able to play Dominion online?
You're not the only one. I am furious that DXV and co are stealing the money I paid them and giving me a crappy one year sub as a tossed-off recompense.
This user is banned!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 26, 2016, 01:19:50 pm »
+5

Am I the only one who is not exactly very excited to pay a monthly fee to be able to play Dominion online?
You're not the only one. I am furious that DXV and co are stealing the money I paid them and giving me a crappy one year sub as a tossed-off recompense.

I...

Have you read the remainder of the thread?

Donald, Stef, and SCSN aren't stealing any of your money.  They're not getting any of the money from Making Fun.  That money is already spent, it's gone.

Making Fun never promised you you would have the sets to use forever.  In fact, somewhere in their Terms of Service there is almost certainly a clause like "We reserve the right to terminate your access at any time for any reason."  Well, in this case they're terminating everyone's access and the reason is that their license has expired.

Donald, Stef, and SCSN are instead giving you a full years' subscription even though you've given them nothing yet.  Man, if that isn't customer service, I don't know what is.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 26, 2016, 01:20:50 pm »
+3

Making Fun never promised you you would have the sets to use forever.  In fact, somewhere in their Terms of Service there is almost certainly a clause like "We reserve the right to terminate your access at any time for any reason."  Well, in this case they're terminating everyone's access and the reason is that their license has expired.

And I'm going to quote myself to emphasize something:

This is why a subscription based model would always have been better anyway.

chrisjwmartin

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 26, 2016, 01:25:58 pm »

$3/month ($36 a year, probably cheaper if you buy in bulk) online doesn't sound that bad to me. Why are so many people complaining?
Okay, how about you go buy a house from someone, pay off your mortgage ... and then the seller announces that you have to pay rent.

We have already paid. We have already paid a LOT of money. And now we have to pay more? Screw that.
This user is banned!

chrisjwmartin

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 26, 2016, 01:28:24 pm »

Donald, Stef, and SCSN aren't stealing any of your money.  They're not getting any of the money from Making Fun.  That money is already spent, it's gone.
DXV and RGG already got money from the Goko and MF purchases. Are they going to refund me that money? No. They are going to keep it and demand more.
This user is banned!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 26, 2016, 01:35:17 pm »

$3/month ($36 a year, probably cheaper if you buy in bulk) online doesn't sound that bad to me. Why are so many people complaining?
Okay, how about you go buy a house from someone, pay off your mortgage ... and then the seller announces that you have to pay rent.

We have already paid. We have already paid a LOT of money. And now we have to pay more? Screw that.

You realize this is not the analogy, right?

It's more like, you bought rights to live in a house from someone who was maintaining that house's existence, that someone stopped maintaining its existence, then someone else created a new house across the street (or maybe even in the same lot works better in the analogy). 

chrisjwmartin

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 26, 2016, 01:38:24 pm »

It's understandable that people are going to get mad when they discover they got the Goko implementation of eternity rather than the real thing.
It's not Goko's fault that Dominion's owners and designers refuse to honour the agreement they allowed Goko to make with their customers.
This user is banned!

chrisjwmartin

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 26, 2016, 01:43:58 pm »

It's more like, you bought rights to live in a house from someone who was maintaining that house's existence, that someone stopped maintaining its existence, then someone else created a new house across the street (or maybe even in the same lot works better in the analogy).
No. DXV-RGG owned a plot of land. They let Goko-MF build a house there and encouraged them to sell me the house. Then they summarily revoked their deal with Goko-MF and told me I'd have to pay rent to their new stooges SS in order to carry on living in the house they encouraged me to buy. They also refuse to allow anyone else (such as Isotropic) to build a house, anywhere, so that if I want to live in a house I am forced to suck it up and pay the rent. This is some of the most disgusting behaviour I have seen from a games company, and games companies are not exactly known for being moral paragons.
This user is banned!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 26, 2016, 01:46:08 pm »

No. DXV-RGG owned a plot of land. They let Goko-MF build a house there and encouraged them to sell me the house. Then they summarily revoked their deal with Goko-MF and told me I'd have to pay rent to their new stooges SS in order to carry on living in the house they encouraged me to buy. They also refuse to allow anyone else (such as Isotropic) to build a house, anywhere, so that if I want to live in a house I am forced to suck it up and pay the rent. This is some of the most disgusting behaviour I have seen from a games company, and games companies are not exactly known for being moral paragons.

They are not the same house.  And, really, rented, not sold.  And, the deal was  time-capped in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.