Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27  All

Author Topic: Creating Dominion  (Read 207079 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Dominion
« Reply #425 on: May 06, 2016, 10:24:12 pm »
+2

A gain is simply getting a card into your deck in whatever way it happens*, whether Ironworks, buying a card, or even gaining a Curse from an opponent's Witch. Maybe explaining it that way would help.
*Except for having it passed to you by Masquerade, or exchanging a Traveller, or when you trash a Fortress and it gets returned to your hand.

Okay, getting a new card into your deck then. Travellers are simply the same card evolving in a real sense, and Masquerade is passing old cards. Fortress is already in your deck.

Each Traveller upgrade is a new card, even if the thematic idea is that it's the same one.  When Masquerade passes you a card, it is new to your deck.  When Fortress is trashed, it is briefly no longer in your deck.  If you don't consider Fortress a new card from the trash, then what about when you gain from the trash via Graverobber or Rogue?  Those cards aren't "new" either then.

We take these terms for granted, but they can certainly be confusing for new players.  FWIW, I'd explain it like this:

- Buying is when you use a Buy in the Buy phase.  After you buy a card in the Supply, you gain it.
- Gaining also happens when a card is played that tells you to gain a card.  It actually says "gain" right on it.  When you do this, you gain the card without buying it.

And then I'd address any issues for a particular kingdom, like Trader or Black Market.  I wouldn't go into details unless they are relevant for the game.  Events are another wrinkle (they are things you buy but you don't gain; for in-game terminology they aren't even "cards").
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:25:44 pm by eHalcyon »

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 07, 2016, 04:57:27 pm »

A gain is simply getting a card into your deck in whatever way it happens*, whether Ironworks, buying a card, or even gaining a Curse from an opponent's Witch. Maybe explaining it that way would help.
*Except for having it passed to you by Masquerade, or exchanging a Traveller, or when you trash a Fortress and it gets returned to your hand.

Okay, getting a new card into your deck then. Travellers are simply the same card evolving in a real sense, and Masquerade is passing old cards. Fortress is already in your deck.

When Fortress is trashed, it is briefly no longer in your deck.  If you don't consider Fortress a new card from the trash, then what about when you gain from the trash via Graverobber or Rogue?  Those cards aren't "new" either then.

Ditto with Thief.  Many people miss that targeted Treasures go into the Trash, whereas then the player who played the Thief then gets to decide if he wants to gain those cards or not.  I'll mention it once that this is how it works, but be more up front about it when it does directly matter, like the targeted players now getting to resolve a Market Square.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 07, 2016, 05:08:43 pm »
+1

Ditto with Thief.  Many people miss that targeted Treasures go into the Trash, whereas then the player who played the Thief then gets to decide if he wants to gain those cards or not.  I'll mention it once that this is how it works, but be more up front about it when it does directly matter, like the targeted players now getting to resolve a Market Square.

SCSN will not miss that detail, because missing that means gaining Coppers, and we all know how much SCSN hates treasures.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ackmondual

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 07, 2016, 05:54:57 pm »

SCSN will not miss that detail, because missing that means gaining Coppers, and we all know how much SCSN hates treasures.
Many digital implementations I've seen have been good about that.  I even forget from time to time, wondering why there's a "blip" in the Trash pile, only to remember that yeah, that is how that works.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 31, 2016, 11:44:34 am »
+2

I'm skipping about half the topic, but put me down as excited for Offline, assuming I can transfer purchases.  98% of my Dominion is playing against bots, so that'd be perfect for me.  Unfortunately, I'll lose the 2% of occasionally playing with my friends, but that's a sacrifice I can live with making, especially if we both have to own the expansions.  My old buddy slowly phased out after Iso went down, and my wife is just not that into it, and I can't see either shelling out monthly.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 07, 2016, 05:23:47 am »
+2

This is the best news imaginable for the future of online dominion! Good luck U2!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 07, 2016, 01:32:19 pm »

This is the best news imaginable for the future of online dominion! Good luck U2!

Are they providing the background music?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 07, 2016, 01:53:33 pm »
+6

Are they providing the background music?

*engine going, draws most of deck, all payload cards still in deck*

*Dominion client starts playing "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."*
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 07, 2016, 01:56:07 pm »
+5

*finally draw KC-KC-Bridge-Bridge-Bridge*

*client starts playing "Beautiful Day."*
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 08, 2016, 12:36:23 am »

Have a hand of Estate, Estate, Estate, Curse, Moneylender.
Opponent has Haunted Woods in play.

Music: "Now you're stuck in a moment and you can't get out of it."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: June 08, 2016, 01:17:03 am »
+3

Just don't buy a card?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 08, 2016, 02:08:42 am »
+1

Just don't buy a card?
oops  :-[

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 08, 2016, 11:01:49 am »

Just don't buy a card?
oops  :-[

"The Troubles"
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 08, 2016, 11:12:08 am »
+1

KC KC Butcher Butcher Butcher - Butchering nine Peddlers

Death "Scream Bloody Gore"
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:31:31 am by Burning Skull »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 08, 2016, 11:13:33 am »
+3

KC KC Butcher Butcher Butcher - Buthering nine Peddlers

Death "Scream Bloody Gore"

I'd say that's more "Sunday Bloody Sunday".

ackmondual

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 16, 2016, 01:11:55 am »

I'm sure if you offer $1000 upfront, you might be able to get a lifetime subscription to Dominion.
I'd knock off about a decade of online gaming and also get the boxed game itself 8)

Note that we can't offer you lifetime because we don't have a lifetime contract.
Well, legally, you'd probably be in the clear anyways, as you didn't specify that it was HIS lifetime... but more so the lifetime of the game itself ;)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 17, 2016, 06:01:56 pm »
+1

Uh.  People are living things.  Games are not living things.  It's not like if you leave it ambiguous either interpretation is equally correct, one interpretation is definitely more correct because lifetime refers to things that are alive.  Unless SCSN and Stef implement online Dominion using a custom created carbon based lifeform, in which case I don't really care about a subscription so much as wanting to invest in stock in all of their brilliant ventures.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 17, 2016, 06:49:32 pm »
+4

Uh.  People are living things.  Games are not living things.  It's not like if you leave it ambiguous either interpretation is equally correct, one interpretation is definitely more correct because lifetime refers to things that are alive.  Unless SCSN and Stef implement online Dominion using a custom created carbon based lifeform, in which case I don't really care about a subscription so much as wanting to invest in stock in all of their brilliant ventures.

Lifetime is a word commonly used to refer to non-living things. Look it up in a dictionary if you're a prescriptivist - the duration of a thing's existence or usefulness. In this case, it would mean as long as SCSN and Stef support online Dominion.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 17, 2016, 07:34:23 pm »
+1

Lifetime is a word commonly used to refer to non-living things. Look it up in a dictionary if you're a prescriptivist - the duration of a thing's existence or usefulness. In this case, it would mean as long as SCSN and Stef support online Dominion.

The LED light bulbs I just bought have an expected lifetime right on the package, as an example.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 18, 2016, 04:17:28 pm »

I'm not saying lifetime is never associated with nonliving things.  I am saying is has an association with living things, and it has an association with nonliving things, and the former of those two is way stronger.

Have you guys played codenames?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 18, 2016, 10:28:46 pm »
+4

I'm not saying lifetime is never associated with nonliving things.  I am saying is has an association with living things, and it has an association with nonliving things, and the former of those two is way stronger.

Have you guys played codenames?

It also has an association with dramas wherein women marry seemingly sweet guys only to find out that they're abusive a few years down the road.  But maybe nobody was confused that we were talking about that.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 19, 2016, 04:43:55 pm »
+2

you will be able to play Dominion online until the heat death of the universe.
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 19, 2016, 05:15:20 pm »
+1

My best guess is you're just trying to be hilarious, rather than trying to make a point.

Like anyone, I make non-literal statements sometimes. It should be clear here that what I am saying cannot possibly be literally true; it must mean something else. In a context where literal statements were of absolute importance, I would not have suggested that I knew if online Dominion would even last as long as 5 minutes from now. Man. Who knows.

And more importantly, I am just some guy, as fallible as anyone. You can also find me saying that everyone would keep their stuff on the next version of Dominion, back when I thought we had gotten a substantial share of the money taken in and so could just give that up to keep people happy.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 19, 2016, 06:27:51 pm »
+2

Rejoice, Donald X. has bestowed the gift of immortality upon us!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 19, 2016, 06:41:02 pm »
+1

So far his statement has not been proven false, as long as you're allowing noticeable outages and bugs to invalidate your definition of "play".
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.