Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27  All

Author Topic: Creating Dominion  (Read 207056 times)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Dominion
« Reply #350 on: April 25, 2016, 12:14:57 pm »
+1

Have to be considerate to the ragingduckd's of the world. Not everyone plays as fast as scsn. I was trying to look up that one painfully slow game between AI and [Jog? WW? Mic Q? - I forget] in Gokodom (I think) that lasted an hour or so. Have to allow for those games.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 25, 2016, 12:16:44 pm »
+2

Personally, I am in favor of timers. A well-designed timer should be fine even for  players who need a lot of time to think; they earn time back if they actually play the game.

Pokemon Showdown uses a good compromise, I think. You can request to turn a battle timer on at any point, and before that there's no timer. I don't think you can turn the timer back off once you choose to turn it on, so that avoids the situation where a troll turns it on then turns it back off on their own turns. This way if you're playing someone in a tournament, you're probably a jerk if you turn the timer on (unless the rules required it), but for casual play it's completely understandable to turn it on at the very start of a game to ward off slow play.

I was just about to post about the Showdown implementation - it's a very good solution. IIRC it starts at 120 seconds when you first turn it on, but gives you plenty of warning and resets every turn. I don't think it always resets to 120 though - if you take too long several turns in a row it goes to 60 or something. With some tweaks it would be great for Dominion.

I'm not sure if I would like the timer to have warning of some sort, but I would like the timer to give the waiting opponent the option to continue waiting or to take the win. The bad thing about a timer in casual games is that you might be just chatting with your friend about the kingdom and suddenly the game is over out of nowhere. That sucks! giving the other player the option to keep going eliminates this problem.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #352 on: April 25, 2016, 12:42:36 pm »

I like the Prismata style. You have a number of seconds in storage, plus you get a number of seconds each turn. If you use more than the number of seconds you're given each turn, you start using up the seconds that are in storage, and if you use less, some (but not 100%) of the remaining time goes into the storage. With the slower settings, this means that you always have enough time to think when you need to think, but not enough to effectively slowroll. With the faster settings, it means that you have enough time to stop and think for a short while when you really need to if you can make the easier decisions more or less as fast as you can use keyboard shortcuts to perform those actions. You can choose the time settings that you are fine with getting automatched into, and then you can only get automatched into those games, and I believe games played with the faster settings only count as a fraction of a game for the purposes of the leaderboard.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 25, 2016, 01:42:18 pm »

Any clock system is fine as long as it doesn't stress the hell out of me while I'm playing.

Awaclus' post made me think that keyboard shortcuts would be awesome.
Even just having "Play all treasures" would be great, and something to press twice (for safety) to do "end actions/turn".

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 25, 2016, 01:45:23 pm »
+5

Any clock system is fine as long as it doesn't stress the hell out of me while I'm playing.

Implement a countdown clock where the remaining time is displayed in a different base chosen randomly each tick, where that base is not exposed to the user.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 25, 2016, 02:03:07 pm »
+1

Implement a countdown clock where the remaining time is displayed in a different base chosen randomly each tick, where that base is not exposed to the user.

To be less stressful, it should not remain on screen where it would create a constant pressure.  Instead, it should appear only every 10 or 15 seconds (tough to choose between those, maybe have random intervals in that range).  And so it isn't overlooked, it should flash in random bright colors full-screen while smooth jazz plays for a couple seconds.  So relaxing.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 25, 2016, 02:04:06 pm »
+9

Just display base n where n is the time remaining in seconds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 25, 2016, 02:06:04 pm »
+1

And with music.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 25, 2016, 03:51:10 pm »
+6

Just display base n where n is the time remaining in seconds.

Counting down!

Time's up!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 25, 2016, 04:55:56 pm »
+2

So, here's a question that's been eating at me. Who's creating the art assets for the "pretty" version? Is either of you an artist? Do you have some sort of seed money that you can use to contract a third party? In order for this version to succeed with anybody but diehard fans, I think it needs to have good production values. MakingFun's version has stability issues and lacks features we wish it had, but I have to admit it looks good. What's your plan there?

EDIT: Likewise, who's doing the sound/music?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:08:24 pm by LastFootnote »

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 25, 2016, 05:06:30 pm »

From what I understood, this isn't just SCSN and Stef working, but that they founded a company that has some other people working. I'm not sure where I got this but that is what I understood

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 25, 2016, 05:13:10 pm »
+1

From what I understood, this isn't just SCSN and Stef working, but that they founded a company that has some other people working. I'm not sure where I got this but that is what I understood

Well uh certainly that's possible, but I've heard nothing of the sort. Founding a company doesn't mean they hired more workers. Hell I'm an incorporated company myself, from the period where I was doing freelance consulting. And hiring or contracting others would require significant capital.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 25, 2016, 05:17:42 pm »

I'd be willing to offer my services as a composer.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 25, 2016, 05:23:10 pm »

I'm an incorporated company myself

Wait, so you're a corporate person rather than an actual human person?  :o

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 25, 2016, 05:35:08 pm »
+7

Corporations are people, too.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 25, 2016, 05:35:18 pm »
+3

So, here's a question that's been eating at me. Who's creating the art assets for the "pretty" version? Is either of you an artist? Do you have some sort of seed money that you can use to contract a third party? In order for this version to succeed with anybody but diehard fans, I think it needs to have good production values. MakingFun's version has stability issues and lacks features we wish it had, but I have to admit it looks good. What's your plan there?

I disagree about MFs production values. Their floating heads are eerie, and the music is pretty awful.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 25, 2016, 05:37:16 pm »

I disagree about MFs production values. Their floating heads are eerie, and the music is pretty awful.

I didn't say they were perfect. Yes the floating heads and avatars are awful. I like the music fine, but there needs to be more than one track. Like, one per expansion or something.

My point is that the graphics are very nice and the sound effects are acceptable.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:39:50 pm by LastFootnote »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 25, 2016, 05:40:27 pm »
+3

But the interface is pretty.
The sounds and music are awfully awaclous, though.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 25, 2016, 05:43:25 pm »

I'm actually Beyond Awesome, not Awaclus. Anyway, I think even the interface is pretty bad. How may misclicks have you made on it. Or, are you taking about the background? I guess that's okay. But, the UI, music, floating heads, avatars, etc all have terrible production values.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 25, 2016, 05:45:57 pm »
+5

Yeah, please put all buttons in exactly the same position, especially when they do fundamentally different or opposing things, because that's really fun!

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 25, 2016, 05:59:59 pm »
+1

I'm actually Beyond Awesome, not Awaclus. Anyway, I think even the interface is pretty bad. How may misclicks have you made on it. Or, are you taking about the background? I guess that's okay. But, the UI, music, floating heads, avatars, etc all have terrible production values.

The interface is not very functional, we all agree on that. But floating heads and avatars apart, it's very pretty (you'd be amazed at how many people love sparkles). Going back to isotropic/Dominion.NET levels would be seen as a huge loss by many people, I'm afraid to say.

[Awaclus invited me to use his name to negatively connotate things. I originally accepted the challenge, but I'm giving up. It messes up conversations and it's ultimately pretty childish.]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:02:10 pm by Accatitippi »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #371 on: April 25, 2016, 06:21:20 pm »
+4

I disagree about the sound effects being good. They're very cheaply produced, possibly stock sound effects (not inherently a problem, mind), and there is no attention to volume mixing, particularly for people playing with the music off. The fanfares are especially bad, but the "your turn" noise is also really harsh.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #372 on: April 25, 2016, 07:23:30 pm »

FWIW, I would also be happy to offer my services as a music producer/composer if there's a need for that. I'm able to do pretty much any genre, my latest productions have been quite well-received internationally and I have some experience in making music specifically for video games as well.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 25, 2016, 08:07:42 pm »

my latest productions have been quite well-received internationally and I have some experience in making music specifically for video games as well.

Links?  I mean, I'm interested for myself, not for SCSN and Stef.  But they might be interested too.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 25, 2016, 10:51:56 pm »

I'm not beloved internationally, but I write music too.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27  All

Page created in 0.668 seconds with 21 queries.