Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27  All

Author Topic: Creating Dominion  (Read 207031 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Dominion
« Reply #300 on: April 20, 2016, 06:52:23 pm »

Emphasis mine: Goons is the least fun card (besides Rebuild) IMO. You either play Goons or lose. Booooooorrrriiiinnnnggggg.

Or you could look at it this way: You either play an engine or lose. Fun!
Or you could play Rebuild!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 20, 2016, 06:55:23 pm »

Emphasis mine: Goons is the least fun card (besides Rebuild) IMO. You either play Goons or lose. Booooooorrrriiiinnnnggggg.

Or you could look at it this way: You either play an engine or lose. Fun!
Or you could play Rebuild!

Or you could play JoaT. Or Big Money.

Look at it this way: Play the best strategy available or lose.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #302 on: April 20, 2016, 07:02:13 pm »
+7

The reason why I think that exactly one rotating free card (or possibly 2 or 3, but probably just one would be best) is good is not that it would provide more variety, but that it would be super cool. People could look forward to see which card is going to be in the free card rotation next week, then they could have discussions with their friends like "what do you think about this week's card of the week?" and in general, it would make them more excited about the game. As it turns out, people are more likely to pay you when they feel like they have gotten a lot from you for free first, and little things like this can contribute far more greatly towards that feeling than it contributes towards the feeling that they're already getting enough even without paying.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 20, 2016, 07:05:48 pm »
+8

The reason why I think that exactly one rotating free card (or possibly 2 or 3, but probably just one would be best) is good is not that it would provide more variety, but that it would be super cool. People could look forward to see which card is going to be in the free card rotation next week, then they could have discussions with their friends like "what do you think about this week's card of the week?" and in general, it would make them more excited about the game. As it turns out, people are more likely to pay you when they feel like they have gotten a lot from you for free first, and little things like this can contribute far more greatly towards that feeling than it contributes towards the feeling that they're already getting enough even without paying.

Agreed that it would be very cool, and just a few such cards would be enough for that. 

I am surprised how much you support regularly choosing a card to prompt discussion of that card. ;)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #304 on: April 20, 2016, 07:09:40 pm »

I am surprised how much you support regularly choosing a card to prompt discussion of that card. ;)

Hopefully not here though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 20, 2016, 08:34:57 pm »

I think this is fair, although I think it would also work if it were two cards at a time - maybe not always, but maybe occasionally - to inspire thinking about combos. Or nombos sometimes, too ("This week's free rotation is Prince and Scout!").

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 21, 2016, 02:15:55 am »

Maybe you could offer the cheaper subscription, and the opponents (usually) would need the subscription as well. But also offer a more expensive one, with which you can play with all cards, no matter who your opponent is.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 21, 2016, 04:18:54 am »

Maybe you could offer the cheaper subscription, and the opponents (usually) would need the subscription as well. But also offer a more expensive one, with which you can play with all cards, no matter who your opponent is.

I don't know man. That just feels like I'm forced to pay for others. I don't think paying customers should be punished because others don't pay.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 21, 2016, 04:50:07 am »

Not sure, this feels like "pay to get matched faster". I suspect this would piss off way more people than it would satisfy.

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 21, 2016, 06:02:03 am »

Not sure, this feels like "pay to get matched faster". I suspect this would piss off way more people than it would satisfy.

If you just play against random people, that's true.
But it gives you the chance to occasionally play with friends, who don't own anything / everything. If those people are allowed to play like 5 games per month against me, when I own everything, that's fine for me. Otherwise, I'd rather pay a bit more and be guaranteed to be able to play with all my cards.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 21, 2016, 08:40:00 am »

I don't know man. That just feels like I'm forced to pay for others. I don't think paying customers should be punished because others don't pay.

I think it's more like "pay to guarantee access to all cards" as opposed to "don't pay to only guarantee access to the Base set, and you might sometimes play with more if you get matched up with someone who pays".
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 21, 2016, 01:25:15 pm »

That's actually a really good reason. Put me on the "Rotating Free Cards!" train in the future  ;D.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 21, 2016, 11:40:39 pm »

So some basic questions that might be known to people other than me already:

- So do you guys know each other outside of this forum? Do you live in the same city?

- I saw the mentioned about a company name... are you quitting your regular jobs to go into this new business full time?

- If so, do you plan on doing more with this company aside from Dominion Online?

- Assuming that these other jobs exist, are you both software programmers professionally?

Bumping my question because I'm really curious.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 21, 2016, 11:44:54 pm »
+1

They are both Dutch. One of the only two kinds of people that I hate in this world.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 22, 2016, 12:01:16 am »
+2

They are both Dutch. One of the only two kinds of people that I hate in this world.

You're dating yourself with that joke.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 22, 2016, 12:26:37 am »
+2

Well, I am an incredibly handsome and witty specimen, so it seems only natural that I would fall for myself.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 22, 2016, 01:33:50 am »
+7

I love it when someone dates themselves with a joke and I don't get it! It makes me feel so young.

What is not so good is when I then look up the quote and realise it's actually from a film I've seen and not that long ago. Then I just feel senile.

SCSN

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 22, 2016, 07:40:23 am »
+16

Bumping my question because I'm really curious.

We're working together in Amsterdam. For the foreseeable future it's full-time Dominion, eventually we'll do other things as well. Exactly what that will be is still a big and well-guarded secret (so well-guarded that we ourselves are only vaguely aware of it).

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 22, 2016, 08:28:26 am »

I'm very excited.  Love the subscription model, it seems like a good price-point.  Very excited about the two interface choices; sometimes I want pretty, sometimes I want efficient, other people only want one or the other.

Getting new players in a subscription model environment is an interesting problem, with many possible interesting solutions.  I would think that new players could thrive on Base alone for a while; that's how I fell in love with the game.  Once they are done with the 'learn to love the game' phase, new cards become appealing.  I can't remember who suggested having feature card-of-the-week from other sets being free; I like this.  Maybe every week a group of 3 cards from various sets, every game has one of the 3 cards.  But then are there different game-queues?  Full-set queues, Base-only queues, CotW-queues...?  So like I said, interesting problem, interesting solutions. 

General impression: yay, much excite! 

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 22, 2016, 11:21:07 am »

What language/framework are you using?  Unity, Java, magnetized needle?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 22, 2016, 11:55:21 am »

What language/framework are you using?  Unity, Java, magnetized needle?

They're using Java.  I'm assuming they know how to obfuscate properly, for anyone worried about Java's security, especially since SCSN was able to reverse engineer MF's implementation.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Arctic Penguin

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 22, 2016, 02:19:42 pm »
+4

I'm very excited to see how good online Dominion can be when people who actually care about and understand the game have the chance to design it. I'm not sure if you're looking for any feedback, but here is some anyway.

I'm not big on monthly fees because I'm not likely to play daily or even weekly, but $3 is a monthly price that I would probably pay just to play some Dominion in the short term.  If you have to go a lot higher, maybe you could offer a lower price for a limited number of games. You might also consider ad supported and limited games for non-subscribers as a way to encourage new users to try the game.

Statistics! I'd love to see something like the old CouncilRoom stats return now that you have a chance to rewrite the code and logs in an intelligent way. If they were really detailed and organized they might even encourage me to pay a recurring fee just to explore the stats even if I play most Dominion games offline.

Timed games. You mentioned this in the post, but I just want to say this is pretty important for me. I'd like to know before I see the Kingdom that I'm not going to be stuck playing for an hour against a slow opponent. Clever use of increments or delays (i.e. the clock freezes for ~1 second after you perform an action) can probably keep even action heavy decks viable. Another thing that might work well for Dominion is an hourglass time control (you time out if you've used X minutes more than your opponent total) so if a board heavily favors an action heavy strategy that both players feel obligated to go for the total game time scales with them.

Mostly I'm just happy to see that the people making online Dominion are finally willing and able to innovate. I'm really looking forward to seeing what new ideas you come up with. Best of luck!

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 22, 2016, 02:39:36 pm »
+13

Statistics! I'd love to see something like the old CouncilRoom stats return now that you have a chance to rewrite the code and logs in an intelligent way.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 22, 2016, 10:12:23 pm »
+5

As a slowish player, I beg you not to enforce timed games on everybody (unless the time limit is pretty generous).
I understand those people that want their plays to move along fast, but playing fast extremely reduces my enjoyment of Dominion. Adding a preference for the time limit (fast vs slow) in a way similar to how vp counters work now would keep everybody happy, I guess, but at the cost of slower matchups.

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 23, 2016, 05:49:18 am »
+1

As a slowish player, I beg you not to enforce timed games on everybody (unless the time limit is pretty generous).
I understand those people that want their plays to move along fast, but playing fast extremely reduces my enjoyment of Dominion. Adding a preference for the time limit (fast vs slow) in a way similar to how vp counters work now would keep everybody happy, I guess, but at the cost of slower matchups.

As a player that likes to take his time to make a play I am interested what you consider slowish?
There are some morons that start insulting you, if you take 10 seconds to look at the board and other people that take forever for some reason.
Imho a player should time out a lot faster, if he does not perform any action whatsoever and is clearly not present. I am perfectly fine with people taking their time, but some people are clearly doing something else, besides playing the game. In fact in a particular slow game I decided to start cooking and coming back every 5 or even more minutes was not a problem at all, which really should not be possible.
As it is you can very much make the other player resign, if you so desire. I did this to a player, which starting insulting me after the mentioned 10 seconds. If you want to you can take a really really long time for each of your turns without timing out.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27  All

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.