Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27  All

Author Topic: Creating Dominion  (Read 206989 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Dominion
« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2016, 03:31:00 pm »

These clients will run on Windows, Mac and Linux, or any other platform that supports running Java.

Am I misinterpreting this or will the Mac client be Java-based?

Looks like it.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2016, 03:38:22 pm »
+2

These clients will run on Windows, Mac and Linux, or any other platform that supports running Java.

Am I misinterpreting this or will the Mac client be Java-based?

Looks like it.

I wasn't sure if that statement meant it would run natively on those named platforms and alternatively on anything running Java. Based on my experiences, running a Java-based app on OSX doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

BraveBear

• Bishop
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2016, 04:09:55 pm »
+1

Congrats to Stef and SCSN!

I think what people are forgetting is we are getting a NEW dominion product.  When we went from goko to MF it was basically the same thing but with a band aid on it.

I can't wait to see what this new bad boy looks like and runs like.  Just thinking about other games online right now, I am very excited.

I could maybe see why people would be upset about the new payment model if we were just getting same product with the same look and issues.

Anyways If my expectations are met then I will be a happy monthly costumer and will maybe finally get my friends to buy.  They are much more willing to pay per month then shell out all that cash for a game that looks and plays like it was from 10 years ago.

Bear

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2016, 04:21:50 pm »
+8

Coming to this thread late, but a hearty congratulations to Stef and SCSN! I am overjoyed by this news. I just recently started playing a good amount of online Dominion again, and it's nice to know online Dominion has a future. In fact, the future already looks brighter than it has in years.

You've been gone too long; this post is far to gregarious for the current F.DS atmosphere.  Please put in some base insults and bring a more bitter tone.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2016, 04:37:41 pm »
+20

You've been gone too long; this post is far to gregarious for the current F.DS atmosphere.  Please put in some base insults and bring a more bitter tone.

You need to read between the lines:

[...]rat[...]s to Stef and SCSN! I am [...]ver[...]y[...]s[...]a[...]d p[...]aying a good amount [...] again, [...]now online Dominion [...] looks [...]as[...]s.

Harley_Beckett

• Spy
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 19, 2016, 05:46:47 pm »
+1

Congratulations on getting the contract for the 2017 implementation fellas!

If the new Dominion Online will run on my iPad, either through a browser or an app, you can basically have as much money as you want from me.

If it won't, then I'm afraid you can only have my sweet, sweet tears.

Chertograd

• Pawn
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #256 on: April 19, 2016, 06:22:58 pm »
+2

Sure, it would be great if I never had to pay to play Dominion Online. That isn't reality.

Actually, it is reality. I play a ton of different online games.
I played StarCraft I for roughly 6-8 years. Same with WarCraft III. Around 6-8 years. I've also played DOTA2 ever since 2012 very much: Something like 3100 hours as of now.
Have I paid monthly subscription fees? No. Have I spent money on DOTA2? Yes, micro-transactions. Is it one of my most played games? Yes. Would I ever pay monthly subscription fees? NO. Not even one cent. I dislike the idea of a steady money stream leaking from my bank account as if it were bleeding.

That's the reason I'll never get Spotify, I'll never get Netflix and I'll never get WoW.
I'm so glad at this point that I never bought any online expansions for Dominion.
I own all of the physical expansions and most of the promos and I guess I'll be sticking to that. I would've paid for the online version as a static sum, something like 50% of the cost of the physical game. That's plentiful since most of the best games I've ever played for years have been from 0€ to 15€.

I calculated how much money I've put into Dominion. It's roughly 300 euros. That's more than I've EVER paid for any game franchise. Ever. It's a very very steep price and I don't really care about the card/euro ratio. I care only about the end sum. I would've paid around 150€ for the COMPLETE online implementation and that, in my eyes, would've been a really really steep price also that wouldn't be clear at all if I'd be willing to pay that much.

Take for example "Star Realms". I bought the FULL GAME for 5€ on Steam. That price also included the same stuff available on Android.
What did I pay for the complete online experience for the rest of the products lifecycle? 5€. That's it.

A game might be good as hell and Dominion is one of the best games ever, but why would I ever pay almost the same amount as I pay for Star Realms once... every month?
I wouldn't. No matter if it was like the best game on the planet.

I really hope I didn't upset anyone and I truly wish the best of luck for RGG, DXV and the new developers of Dominion Offline/Online.
I'm sure your product will get lots of revenue based on the comments I've read here. I'm sorry I didn't give that positive feedback people would only like to read. I'm sorry my feedback wasn't all rainbows and flowers. I will continue to love Dominion and I praise Donald X. Vaccarino for one of the greatest physical card games ever, but I'll have to jump out of the sled at this point. I just can't sacrifice my principles...

I will continue to purchase future physical editions of Dominion as they're so great and it's always a one time fee.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:03:45 pm by Chertograd »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 19, 2016, 06:54:47 pm »
+6

Welcome to the forums, Chertograd! Have you checked out the forum games? They come without monthly subscription fees!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #258 on: April 19, 2016, 07:03:01 pm »

I dislike the idea of a steady money stream leaking from my bank account as if it were bleeding.

So you probably don't have any loan interests, rents, Internet connections or anything like that to pay for, then?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chertograd

• Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #259 on: April 19, 2016, 07:07:50 pm »

I kind of realized I'd get that comment from someone. If I could skip them, sure, I would.
I mean I wouldn't pay monthly for them. I'd just pay a huge static amount. Quite frankly tho', that isn't possible.
And I actually got my study loans as one huge static amount since I was annoyed by the idea of a steadily growing loan on my bank account.
Ja enpä mä sitä lainaa ois ottanut ellei ois pakko ollut... mutta paskemmaks kokoajan menossa systeemi, Awaclus (sry, I just know he's Finnish too so...).

Also, I would never buy any product with part payments. Just no... Even if I'd have bad financial situation and I'd need a new phone, I'd just pay the one time price for a new phone and I'd eat noodles for the sake of it. Just as long as the tap isn't leaking water all the time if you know what I mean.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 19, 2016, 07:14:35 pm »

Well, there are just some things you have to pay monthly for, or have to take a loan over. Good luck, anyways.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 19, 2016, 08:37:35 pm »
+1

I kind of realized I'd get that comment from someone. If I could skip them, sure, I would.
I mean I wouldn't pay monthly for them. I'd just pay a huge static amount. Quite frankly tho', that isn't possible.
And I actually got my study loans as one huge static amount since I was annoyed by the idea of a steadily growing loan on my bank account.
Ja enpä mä sitä lainaa ois ottanut ellei ois pakko ollut... mutta paskemmaks kokoajan menossa systeemi, Awaclus (sry, I just know he's Finnish too so...).

Also, I would never buy any product with part payments. Just no... Even if I'd have bad financial situation and I'd need a new phone, I'd just pay the one time price for a new phone and I'd eat noodles for the sake of it. Just as long as the tap isn't leaking water all the time if you know what I mean.

Good luck buying a house.

Chertograd

• Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #262 on: April 19, 2016, 08:46:53 pm »
+1

I just knew it people couldn't differentiate necessities/essential stuff like life expenses with stuff like entertainment.

Others are nearly mandatory or mandatory and others are voluntary. It's either that people try to just find loopholes in other people's posts or they just like acting dumb and act as if they wouldn't understand the point given.

It's almost as if someone would be losing an argument and starts pointing out typos in the other person's posts or something.

You know very well what I mean so don't attempt to seem as if you don't.

But since people like to act ignorant, I'll list them down for you so there's no more loopholes to f*ck:
Electricity, warmth, rent, loans (study, house & car), phone bill, internet bill, insurances (appartment/house etc.), public transport and so forth.
Those are mandatory or nearly mandatory and very much unlike entertainment subscription services (games, music, videos (tv series, movies) and so on).

If someone finds one thing I forgot to mention: Just bravo. I'll tap you on the head for it. I hope this is enough clarification.

I didn't want to sound that harsh, but people just leave me no choice when they start agitating :) If you know what the other person is talking about, don't act otherwise. And if you know he forgot to mention a thing he surely would've anyways: you can just use your brains to figure out whether or not he left the thing out on purpose or not.

And I really don't appreciate sarcasm unless it's between me and a close friend of mine.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 08:51:17 pm by Chertograd »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 19, 2016, 09:04:27 pm »

You're wasting time typing something that doesn't really matter in the long run, because you won't change their minds and they won't change yours. You don't want to buy it, cool. I'm sure that's wasting some electricity bill anyways.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:05:58 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 19, 2016, 09:07:16 pm »
+1

I'm finding your distinction between what you will and won't pay for to be somewhat arbitrary. You don't want to pay recurring costs for a temporary product. Is that it? But you presumably pay for temporary entertainment all the time. Do you ever go to the movies or travel or go to events or eat out or whatever else. I mean, if you dont think a month of dominion is worth $3 then don't pay it. But drawing a line at 'no subscriptions' seems irrational to me.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #265 on: April 19, 2016, 09:10:13 pm »
+1

I can understand where he's coming from in some sense. I used to refuse to pay for anything virtual (and it was quite easy to avoid doing so). I guess I'm just more OK with capitalism cracking the whip on me these days. You might be able to get free Dominion if you bribe Stef. It's a plausible scenario.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 19, 2016, 09:13:55 pm »

You might be able to get free Dominion if you bribe Stef. It's a plausible scenario.

If you're paying a bribe, is it really free?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 19, 2016, 09:18:32 pm »
+1

bribe Stef
Okay, JSH. Whatever you say.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #268 on: April 19, 2016, 09:23:12 pm »
+1

You might be able to get free Dominion if you bribe Stef. It's a plausible scenario.

You don't have to give him money. Favors can be free. Maybe offer to provide him solid dominion advice.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 19, 2016, 09:26:09 pm »
+3

You don't have to give him money. Favors can be free.

Thanks for the image, jsh. :(

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 19, 2016, 09:28:29 pm »
+6

I'm sure if you offer $1000 upfront, you might be able to get a lifetime subscription to Dominion.

Chertograd

• Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #271 on: April 19, 2016, 09:45:23 pm »
+2

You're wasting time

Basically then all feedback is wasting time? Why should feedback only be positive? I've given more positive than negative feedback overall.
But sure, I didn't have to explain in such a long manner. I have a bad habit of writing TL;DR's anyway.

But yea, again: I am truly sorry if I sounded cynical and all. It's just that I absolutely LOVE Dominion and I'm kind of saddened about the monthly fee solution.
I don't think I can sway anyone's opinion into any direction.

So basically if there's something positive to be said: I'd be willing to pay a great deal of money if they ever decide to get an alternative payment solution on top of the subscription model.
Something similar to the old model. Example given: 1000 subscribers vs 1000 subs and some that would pay a one-time fee. I'd calculate that it's more money for the company, really. Especially if the subscription model has a very tempting pricepoint.

We once had this discussion about copyrights and piracy:
Piracy doesn't really decrease the sales figures or revenue. How so?
If a person wouldn't pay a cent for something, it doesn't really make them lose money since the person would've never paid for it anyway.
HOWEVER... if he became a fan of a product (like music for example), he could possibly start giving out some dough. I know this for a fact, actually.

That was a little bit of off-topicing, but what I'm saying is that it's all about principles for some people. It's not the amount of money that bothers some people. And as I totally WANT to be a customer, that's the only reason why I beg them to reconsider. It's almost as if a company would only allow the use of a credit card, but I'd be greatly against credit cards. They'd just lose money even if I'd be willing to pay them :) So if they ended up accepting bank cards as well, they'd get even more revenue.

Yet again a TL;DR. Anyway, no ill-intentions on my behalf :)

Anyway I'll try not to comment again since I feel like people will get pissed off or something :/
But I still wish success for the new implementation, whatever route it might take.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:48:24 pm by Chertograd »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 19, 2016, 10:24:19 pm »
+4

Chertograd, just saying that you shouldn't take one conversation as a reason not to post elsewhere on the forum. Historically f.DS has had very strong feelings about Dominion Online because of how incredibly awful Goko was. (Not Making Fun, Goko. Making Fun has it's own share of issues and I'm no fan, but they've gotten more hate than they deserve at this point.)

Seprix's point isn't that you shouldn't provide negative feedback, it's that you shouldn't get into protracted arguments with people who don't look like they'll change their point of view. You lay out your points and get out, because it's not worth the time, and that way people who just read the topic still get to see opposing viewpoints. (Funnily enough, on this topic Seprix is one of those people.)

Honestly, I have a bit of the same view. I've never paid for Dominion Online, and I'm not sure I'd pay a $3 subscription fee. It's cheaper than food, it's cheaper than coffee, but Dominion Online is fundamentally entertainment, and there's a lot of free entertainment in the world. (Now, if you're spending more than $3/month on DoTA2 cosmetics and say that's a better use of your money than Dominion, I might raise some eyebrows...)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 19, 2016, 11:40:43 pm »
+1

Glad Dominion online is in good hands now. Looking forward to an implementation that doesn't overheat my computer (among other things).

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 20, 2016, 12:48:32 am »
+6

I think I get where Chertograd is coming from. The more ways you have money automatically exiting your bank account, the more likely it is that you forget about one of them and are spending money without knowing it. Subscriptions also have a psychological thing where it can be hard to decide when to cancel/renew them if you only play occasionally. With a lump sum you just make the decision once, while with a subscription you sort of need to make the choice every month.

The thing I wonder is: is there a successful game out there that survives on a $3/month subscription model? As far as I know, MMO subscriptions would usually cost $10/month or more because you're expected to use them a lot. Then there are games that survive on lump sums for content and/or cosmetics and the dev teams keep introducing new content and/or cosmetics to pay for.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.