Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27  All

Author Topic: Creating Dominion  (Read 207696 times)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1608
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Dominion
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2016, 10:14:35 pm »
+2

I was browsing around the wiki and stumbled upon an interview-ish thing ednever did with Jay of RGG back in 2012, and found this, regarding a feature planned for Goko:

If you are playing against someone and they drop off for whatever reason, the AI will take over.

Any plans to implement this feature?

I like it better when I don't have to play a bot who might have a small chance of beating me somehow when the opponent quits.

Actually, come to think of it, the magic "click to continue from here" logs ought to take care of it. But it would be neat if it were kinda seamless, like a popup asking you if you wish to continue versus AI.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2016, 10:56:31 pm »
+2

I was browsing around the wiki and stumbled upon an interview-ish thing ednever did with Jay of RGG back in 2012, and found this, regarding a feature planned for Goko:

If you are playing against someone and they drop off for whatever reason, the AI will take over.

I like it better when I don't have to play a bot who might have a small chance of beating me somehow when the opponent quits.

Actually, come to think of it, the magic "click to continue from here" logs ought to take care of it. But it would be neat if it were kinda seamless, like a popup asking you if you wish to continue versus AI.

I think this matters more in 3P+
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

bardo

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: g. lazalde
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2016, 11:00:31 pm »

And, in continuing with the AI, it should still count as a win or a non-game, as it would if you just chose not to play.

I would like this, as people often resign just as you're getting some fun engine working (they are clearly unimpressed that you are playing six goons with watchtower in hand), but it would be fun to finish it up.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2016, 03:55:06 am »
+1

They could give you the win, then ask if you want to continue against the AI for an unrated game.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2016, 04:41:52 am »
+1

They could give you the win, then ask if you want to continue against the AI for an unrated game.

Hey, that could combo well with achievements. If you have no chance of winning but your opponent is obviously drawing the game out to be able to piledrive Colonies, you can resign and move on while they finish up and get their achievement.

Speaking of achievements (if they're actually a thing), you could get around the people-making-stupid-moves-then-leaving problem by having purely luck-based ones. Like having $6 or more in treasures on turn 1.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2016, 04:42:13 am »
+1

Ideally for me:

If there is only one human left in the game the human wins but gets the opportunity to continue the game against a robot they choose if they want to see how it would turn out.

If there are several humans left in the game the lost player is replaced by a bot that is supposed to not be better than the lost player. Probably just put DumbBot there, but it could be possible to put SmartBot there if the lost playing has a rating over some threshold.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2016, 04:42:23 am »

Great news, I am super pumped and will gladly throw $3 (or however much) a month at a subscription online Dominion service that's actually reliable and run by people who understand security and are good at their work.

Really pleased to hear this!

On another note, do we know anything about whether this will be on mobile platforms yet?  Playing some Dominion on my droid over lunch would be wicked.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:43:56 am by thespaceinvader »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2016, 06:00:03 am »

Ideally for me:

If there is only one human left in the game the human wins but gets the opportunity to continue the game against a robot they choose if they want to see how it would turn out.

If there are several humans left in the game the lost player is replaced by a bot that is supposed to not be better than the lost player. Probably just put DumbBot there, but it could be possible to put SmartBot there if the lost playing has a rating over some threshold.

I don't know, I'd rather play with a competent bot and have a good time and losing, rather than having to play through the rest of the game with a dummy player.
Of course, if the bot wins the game is forfeit, or at least it shouldn't award the quitter any points.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2016, 08:08:09 am »

I thought of something, Stef/SCSCN, can you please, please, please have an option to allow the Base Art cards version of basic treasures and victory cards. I prefer them much more when I play irl. I think they look a lot better than a bunch of giant numbers.

Really? I personally would hate that. I like the simplicity.

The beauty of computers is that you could be playing a game together, each with your preferred art style on the basic cards.

Personally I prefer the art versions.

I agree, I agree. :) As long as we both can get what we want at, assuming low efforts for the programmers, that would be cool.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2016, 09:39:37 am »
+30

Great news, I am super pumped and will gladly throw $3 (or however much) a month at a subscription online Dominion service that's actually reliable and run by people who understand security and are good at their work.

Actually it doesn't matter that much if it costs $3 or $4; the big gap is to $5, which most players can't reach in the beginning.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2016, 09:44:43 am »
+7

Actually it doesn't matter that much if it costs $3 or $4; the big gap is to $5, which most players can't reach in the beginning.
When we start paying Stef and SCSN in little blue bottles of dubious content, we'll know for sure that we as a community have a serious problem.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2016, 09:55:34 am »
+1

I was going to finish that nuclear reactor, but Stef demanded Platinum as payment.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +429
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2016, 10:40:05 am »
+1

I was going to finish that nuclear reactor, but Stef demanded Platinum as payment.

He needs it to make sure his giant mecha is bending-proof.

scotty2hotty

• Baron
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2016, 11:03:19 am »

Congrats, looking forward to 2017!

But Stef and SCSN both leaving the league, that's a bummer

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2016, 11:18:19 am »
+1

So some basic questions that might be known to people other than me already:

- So do you guys know each other outside of this forum? Do you live in the same city?

- I saw the mentioned about a company name... are you quitting your regular jobs to go into this new business full time?

- If so, do you plan on doing more with this company aside from Dominion Online?

- Assuming that these other jobs exist, are you both software programmers professionally?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2016, 02:19:49 pm »

How do you know if there isn't much difference between $3 and $4. $4 is another $12 a year that everyone would be paying for the service. That adds up.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2016, 02:21:57 pm »
+5

How do you know if there isn't much difference between $3 and $4. $4 is another $12 a year that everyone would be paying for the service. That adds up.

$3 Dominion implementations tend to be just as good as $4 Dominion implementations, so people will often spend $4 or a $3 implementation anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2016, 05:51:04 pm »
+1

$3 Dominion implementations tend to be just as good as $4 Dominion implementations, so people will often spend $4 or a $3 implementation anyway.

That's generally true, but I'm not sure about it in this case.  I just don't know if Dominion implementation is strong enough to justify $4.  Maybe someone can run some simulations and see.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2016, 09:03:21 pm »
+4

This is fantastic news for Dominion to be back in fan hands after so long in the wilderness. Congratulations and good luck to you both!

To echo a couple of requests that others made:

• Social features, even rudimentary ones, are missing from MF and I think it really cripples the game. I hope for friend lists, block lists, a way to chat with friends that aren't my opponent, and a way to share blocklists.
  • A way to report players for intentional slowplay, rudeness/viciousness, or a Decline of Civility would be great.
  • I think alternate art cards would be a fantastic addition, whether they come as tournament prizes, promos, along with achievements, or whatever. Collecting them would be fun! As jsh showed us, some of the early cards especially would benefit from alternate art. You could also make steps toward the "hey, why are there so few women in the illustrations" issue.
  • Another possible tournament award is titles. In USCF chess, when you participate in a tournament and play at least as well as a player of <whatever> rating, you earn a "norm" to the title associated with that ranking. Five such norms and you earn the title. (Bridge works similarly, but rather than Elo-style ratings, some number of your points have to come from tournaments of sufficient size/competition level to attract strong enough opposition, depending on the title you're working toward)
  • A third possible tournament award is badges or medals displayed on your user page or whatever. Bigger tournament = bigger medal, higher ranking = shinier medal.

The idea I brainstormed was: An 8-person casual tournament has a first prize of, say, 100 points, 50 for second, 25 for third, and 10 participation points for everyone. A typical alt art promo costs 100 points. You can also earn points for nontournament  playing, possibly 10/day or so, so even if you log on and have an awful day--hey, you're making progress towards that sweet alt art Scout.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2016, 09:30:00 pm »

I see a problem with that idea. I like the concept of alt artwork but art cost money to acquire and then there might not be enough demand to have those versions of cards printed IRL.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:31:26 pm by Beyond Awesome »

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2016, 10:01:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure the original suggestion in regards to alternate art was to have the option to use the art from the separate Base Cards set instead of the big numbers, which I would be quite happy about. I'm not sure when the idea of different art for kingdom cards came up; that sounds a little weird.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2016, 11:10:18 pm »

It might not be a implementable idea, but I bet a number of the folks around here would pay a buck or two to have Isotropic art.

JerseyFrank

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2016, 11:14:39 pm »
+3

Can you expose a RESTful API so that the community can lighten the load on client development?

The_Tricksta

• Swindler
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2016, 09:26:02 am »
+4

I haven't read all of the other replies but I have to admit that I also find this entire ordeal really annoying. I payed the equivalent of $90, so I can occasionally play Dominion at my free leisure. Recently I had troubles in my life and didn't really have time for anything and I still don't and now you're telling me that my purchase will basically be just a waste? Making my purchase the equivalent of a service of about $36 is not a good reimbursement, come on. I'd rather prefer MF to still hold the contract at this time even though it is far from perfect and made me use SCSNs mod to make it more bearable.

I'd rather pay a steep price once than pay a little each month and feel like I wasted money if I don't play at least once this month. I am disillusioned at how poor structered the new pay model is and how everyone is so ecstatic about these news.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2016, 02:25:03 pm »
+7

I haven't read all of the other replies but I have to admit that I also find this entire ordeal really annoying. I payed the equivalent of $90, so I can occasionally play Dominion at my free leisure. Recently I had troubles in my life and didn't really have time for anything and I still don't and now you're telling me that my purchase will basically be just a waste? Making my purchase the equivalent of a service of about $36 is not a good reimbursement, come on. I'd rather prefer MF to still hold the contract at this time even though it is far from perfect and made me use SCSNs mod to make it more bearable.

I'd rather pay a steep price once than pay a little each month and feel like I wasted money if I don't play at least once this month. I am disillusioned at how poor structered the new pay model is and how everyone is so ecstatic about these news.

I think that most people understand that ongoing services have a cost.  Some places use donation models to keep things going (BGA, Yucata, Kingdom of Loathing).  Some use pay-to-win or pay-for-hats to keep things going (Prismata, Hearthstone, and *shudder* mobile freemium).  And others use subscriptions.

Making Fun had an unsustainable business model.  They were going to get less and less revenue each month at some point, and server costs were going to eat them.

The thing about subscriptions is, you don't have to pay every month!  Shit hit the fan IRL?  Cancel for the next few months, bam, done.  You could request/suggest that the free year be allowed to be taken as 12 months, I suppose.

And yes, you could argue that a donation model might work.  But how many people will donate to server costs?  Would they need a yearly donation drive like BGG or Wikipedia?  How quickly would that start to hurt?  I personally would rather have a sustainable service, and $3 a month is an incredible price point.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.