Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27  All

Author Topic: Creating Dominion  (Read 206995 times)

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Creating Dominion
« on: April 13, 2016, 08:02:51 am »
+125

It's actually happening! Philip (SCSN) and I are building the new version of Dominion Online that will go online on the first of January 2017.

We're really excited we got the contract. It involved us building a demonstration Dominion during the first two months of this year, demonstrating it to Jay (RGG games) and Donald, and now building the actual game.

It's still early to say what exactly you can expect, except we will do our very best to make something all the Dominion fans will love.

* We intend to have different clients for different people. One will look as pretty as we can make it, one will be sober, with minimal images and mostly text. These clients will run on Windows, Mac and Linux, or any other platform that supports running Java. We will also make a client that runs in a web browser. Finally phones and tablets will probably be running a different client. If you play online you can play against any other client.

* We will be selling two different products: Dominion Online and Dominion Offline. In Dominion Offline you can buy expansions, and use them to play random boards, selfmade boards or campaigns against AI. For Dominion Online you will have to buy a monthly subscription. This does not require you to own the expansions offline. Online you can play against other players or against AI.
Exact prices are yet to be determined, but you can expect them to be around $3-$8 per expansion offline (depending on the expansion size) and $3/month online (for all expansions, $2/month for half the expansions). Existing users will be offered a choice: they either get their expansions transferred to 'Dominion Offline', or they get their expansions Online for the period of one year.

* We will never be late on releasing new expansions.

* We have some nice plans for new features. It's still very early to consider them promises, but this is certainly on my personal wish list:

- A tournament hosting feature. We want to facilitate other users to act as a tournament host. Especially creating a one day cup and sending out invitations to your friends should be easy. A proper implementation of a one day cup requires some form of a timed game.
  - Gamelogs where every decision is a link. Clicking on the link allows you to continue playing from that point on.
    This should facilitate questions like "What should I have done here?"
  - A 'spectator mode' that allows you to observe any game running on the server, if the players permit it. For entertainment value, or just to wait until your friend is finished playing a game and can play against you.
  - Multi language support

At some point we'll be looking for test users, but not yet.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:07:25 am by -Stef- »
Join the Dominion League!

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
Re: announcing
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:03:40 am »
+2

Best. News. Ever.
Join Team Rocket!

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
Re: Announcing
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 08:08:13 am »

This is incredibly exciting.

You only have to look at what SCSN (and others) pulled off with making more fun to know how awesome this is going to be.

Good times.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

SCSN

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Dominion
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 08:08:32 am »
+8

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 08:10:17 am »

This is fantastic news.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 08:12:15 am »

It is great that future of online Dominion is now in strong and caring hands.

Good luck with your hard work and thank you.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 08:21:58 am »
+1

Congratulations! I can finally explain to my parents that there are people out there who do 'Dominion things' for a living.

Oh yeah, and I can play Dominion Online somewhere besides Making Fun. That's a plus.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:29:49 am »

I think this is gonna be good.

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 08:35:13 am »
+10

strong and caring hands.

Kind of makes it sound like this. Even though Penguins don't have hands. And I don't know how "strong" they are.

The one on the left is SCSN. The one on the right is Stef. The little baby penguin is Dominion Online/Offline. Obviously.
Join Team Rocket!

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 08:38:04 am »
+13

Am I the only one who is not exactly very excited to pay a monthly fee to be able to play Dominion online?

I guess people just want to see Making Fun bleed for their delays and costumer service (or lack thereof). But please, people, be careful what you wish for.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 08:39:46 am »

Only 262 days left :)

I hope there will be a way to give you money within the first year if you already bought expansions.

Also, expansions is plural which also makes me happy :)

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 08:41:51 am »
+1

Am I the only one who is not exactly very excited to pay a monthly fee to be able to play Dominion online?

I guess people just want to see Making Fun bleed for their delays and costumer service (or lack thereof). But please, people, be careful what you wish for.

Did you already buy expansions? If yes, you wont need to for quite some time. If not, it's definitely justified that you get expected to pay.

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 08:47:45 am »
+6

Did you already buy expansions? If yes, you wont need to for quite some time. If not, it's definitely justified that you get expected to pay.

I have most, but not all expansions. With the new system, I won't need to pay until early 2018, which is still the distant future, of course (unless I desperately want those Seaside and Cornucopia cards in my possession, which I don't because those two are my least favorite expansions anyway). But after that, it's $36 each year. Back on Goko, you could buy all expansions for all eternity for about the same price.

Every new system cranks up the price a notch. And this time, buying more expansions in advance won't help.

There's also the issue of dissuading possible new users to play Dominion online. No matter how small the price is, you'll lose a lot of potential players if you charge a monthly fee. That's not directly my problem, of course, but it might be a problem for the Dominion player base one day.

Edit: Oh, and if I want to play with Empires online, I will need to pay $3/month from the start, I presume...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:49:38 am by Aleimon Thimble »

Infthitbox

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 08:51:50 am »
+6

For the price of what I paid to Making Fun for what will be about 15 months worth of playing with expansions, I'd get ~2.5 years of subscription if the price estimate is accurate. Personally, I have a rough heuristic of a dollar/hour for entertainment (thus if I'm thinking about buying a $60 game, I need to expect to play it for 60 hours) and I play far, far more than 2-3 hours of Dominion online in a month. I'm also very happy that we have people who understand that they need a way to generate revenue even if new Dominion products aren't coming out; if game development on Dominion ends (for real), we want the game to still exist online. In order to cover costs of maintenance programming and servers and whatnot, there needs to be some way to make money.

Official in-game tournaments would be fantastic; its all I ever wanted (well, most recent expansions as well).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 08:52:01 am »
+7

It's a little bit late for April Fools, guys.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 08:54:39 am »
+1

Great to hear that this is in good hands.

Two questions:
  • Do you intend to support multiple local players in either edition?
  • Do you intend to support asynchronous play at all?

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 09:00:45 am »
+1

For the price of what I paid to Making Fun for what will be about 15 months worth of playing with expansions, I'd get ~2.5 years of subscription if the price estimate is accurate.

Making Fun more than doubled the price from Goko, which I also found infuriating. But the fact that Making Fun will be more expensive per month than this new system is caused by two factors: the short life of the Making Fun system, and the fact that Stef will charge people in the first place. If the store system from Making Fun were maintained, then you couldn't make calculations like this, because expansions you already bought will still be free for all eternity.

I'm also very happy that we have people who understand that they need a way to generate revenue even if new Dominion products aren't coming out; if game development on Dominion ends (for real), we want the game to still exist online. In order to cover costs of maintenance programming and servers and whatnot, there needs to be some way to make money.

If the revenue decreases once there are no more Dominion expansions, and there are still people who want to keep playing Dominion online, they could start asking for donations instead of demanding them from the beginning.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 09:08:30 am »
+7

For the price of what I paid to Making Fun for what will be about 15 months worth of playing with expansions, I'd get ~2.5 years of subscription if the price estimate is accurate.

Making Fun more than doubled the price from Goko, which I also found infuriating. But the fact that Making Fun will be more expensive per month than this new system is caused by two factors: the short life of the Making Fun system, and the fact that Stef will charge people in the first place. If the store system from Making Fun were maintained, then you couldn't make calculations like this, because expansions you already bought will still be free for all eternity.

I'm also very happy that we have people who understand that they need a way to generate revenue even if new Dominion products aren't coming out; if game development on Dominion ends (for real), we want the game to still exist online. In order to cover costs of maintenance programming and servers and whatnot, there needs to be some way to make money.

If the revenue decreases once there are no more Dominion expansions, and there are still people who want to keep playing Dominion online, they could start asking for donations instead of demanding them from the beginning.

Online gaming is a service, not a product. A product (like Dominion Offline) you buy once and it requires no further work on anyone's part, you use it until you no longer wish to use it, it is consumed, or it breaks. A service (like Dominion Online) requires the entity providing the service (Stef & SCSN (or more likely, their company)) to continue to spend resources to make the service usable. Based on this, I would expect to pay as I use this service. Sure, it would be great if I never had to pay to play Dominion Online. That isn't reality.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 09:11:06 am »
+11

A dominion editor where you'd be able to make/playtest your own fan cards would be cool too. Could be part of the service part within the monthly fee.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 09:11:36 am »
+3

A dominion editor where you'd be able to make/playtest your own fan cards would be cool too. Could be part of the service part within the monthly fee.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 09:13:08 am »

The only downside I can think of is that now even more people will say that the league is rigged.  ;) Good luck to both of you!

Infthitbox

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 09:16:31 am »
+1

The only downside I can think of is that now even more people will say that the league is rigged.  ;) Good luck to both of you!

Maybe the League would be one of the in-game tournament types, which could vastly simplify the organization.

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 09:17:42 am »

Exciting news!  I'm not sure how I feel about paying monthly fees, but if it's $3/month, I'm sure I can find the money (I'll just beg if I need to. ;))

The most reassuring thing, though, is that we can be certain that our concerns will be addressed by people who sincerely care about creating a format for competitive players to enjoy the game online, and that's really great news.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 09:18:55 am »
+3

This monthly subscription thing is great though. It's unfortunate that people paid for the expansions on Goko/MF thinking that they would be able to use those expansions to the end of their days, but really the only problem here is that Goko was selling expansions like that in the first place. 3€ a month for all the expansions or 2€ for half of them is an extremely reasonable price to pay, and maybe some months you can do without the expansions if you're not planning to play that much.

The fact that it's not Goko or Making Fun who I'm paying also makes me a lot more interested in paying a few bucks every month.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:21:07 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 09:19:47 am »
+1

Online gaming is a service, not a product. A product (like Dominion Offline) you buy once and it requires no further work on anyone's part, you use it until you no longer wish to use it, it is consumed, or it breaks. A service (like Dominion Online) requires the entity providing the service (Stef & SCSN (or more likely, their company)) to continue to spend resources to make the service usable. Based on this, I would expect to pay as I use this service. Sure, it would be great if I never had to pay to play Dominion Online. That isn't reality.

Well, I guess it's just me, so I'll stop complaining and suck the extra costs up. It's still cheap enough that I'll use the system, besides, I just love Dominion too much.

I will admit that, like the rest, I'm pretty curious how the system will look and which extra functions will be implemented.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.