Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mint + Talisman  (Read 1426 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
Mint + Talisman
« on: April 12, 2016, 08:54:15 pm »

The "Other Rules clarifications" section on the wiki page for Mint starts with this:

• If you buy a Mint with treasures such as Talisman or Quarry, the bonus from those cards is no longer applicable after they are trashed, but they still do apply to Mint.

Can somone confirm or deny my slightly different interpretation that I put on the talk page?
Quote from: ConMan
Technically, if you reduced Mint's cost then bought one with a Talisman in play, wouldn't you have the choice of whether to gain the second Mint then trash the treasures, or trash the treasures first thus meaning you don't get a second Mint? As opposed to Royal Seal, which since it reacts to the gain, would be in the trash by the time it should be doing its thing so you cannot topdeck Mint using it.

(Whizkid agrees, but I'd like to get a third opinion for safety's sake.)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
Re: Mint + Talisman
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 09:04:40 pm »
+2

The "Other Rules clarifications" section on the wiki page for Mint starts with this:

• If you buy a Mint with treasures such as Talisman or Quarry, the bonus from those cards is no longer applicable after they are trashed, but they still do apply to Mint.

Can somone confirm or deny my slightly different interpretation that I put on the talk page?
Quote from: ConMan
Technically, if you reduced Mint's cost then bought one with a Talisman in play, wouldn't you have the choice of whether to gain the second Mint then trash the treasures, or trash the treasures first thus meaning you don't get a second Mint? As opposed to Royal Seal, which since it reacts to the gain, would be in the trash by the time it should be doing its thing so you cannot topdeck Mint using it.

(Whizkid agrees, but I'd like to get a third opinion for safety's sake.)
You get to order abilities that say "when x happens do y" that happen at the same time. You just get to order them though; they happen in whatever order. Once you have to decide whether to put Mint or Talisman resolving first, Talisman will happen, even if it leaves play before it resolves (it doesn't check to make sure it's still in play later).

See: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1564.0

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:50:12 pm »

Well there you go. It seems a little odd to me, compared to, for example, the "trash a Cultist, draw Market Square, reveal Market Square for Gold" case, where you *can't* determine all of the possible things that could trigger immediately unless you include the theoretical "There is a Market Square in my deck, so I can choose to resolve its ability either before or after resolving Cultist's on-trash, but if I do it before then I'm unable to discard it so I don't get a Gold".

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 09:59:55 pm »
+1

Well there you go. It seems a little odd to me, compared to, for example, the "trash a Cultist, draw Market Square, reveal Market Square for Gold" case, where you *can't* determine all of the possible things that could trigger immediately unless you include the theoretical "There is a Market Square in my deck, so I can choose to resolve its ability either before or after resolving Cultist's on-trash, but if I do it before then I'm unable to discard it so I don't get a Gold".
Talisman is mandatory. All the mandatory things happen, you just get to pick the order.

Market Square is optional. Optional things may be used at any time during their window (in this case after a card is trashed and before we've finished resolving things that trigger off of that).

Market Square has to work that way because we don't know if it was in your hand or what. I mean, it doesn't have to work that way, but it has to have some resolution to this issue, and that's the resolution it has in Dominion.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 12:01:05 am »

I guess I'm fine with that. It shouldn't have too much of an effect on anything, anyway. But thank you, Mr X.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.637 seconds with 21 queries.