Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mortgage: An Event that lets you buy now and pay later.  (Read 4588 times)

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Mortgage: An Event that lets you buy now and pay later.
« on: April 12, 2016, 12:37:30 pm »
+5

I've playtested this several times with an unlimited number of Mortgage tokens, and admittedly, it feels sort of like a variant. If you want it to play more like a normal Event, just limit players to 1 or 2 Mortgage tokens (which you can re-use after removing from the pile via the rule on the event).

The art is public domain from here: http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=76955&picture=country-home-painting

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Mortgage: An Event that lets you buy now and pay later.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 12:42:04 pm »
+2

I've playtested this several times with an unlimited number of Mortgage tokens, and admittedly, it feels sort of like a variant. If you want it to play more like a normal Event, just limit players to 1 or 2 Mortgage tokens (which you can re-use after removing from the pile via the rule on the event).

The art is public domain from here: http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=76955&picture=country-home-painting

Certainly looks interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if this was close to one of the events in the upcoming Empires expansion.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:44:23 pm »

Yeah, I thought that when I read the initial teaser (which I quoted in the topic title). This idea came before that announcement though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 01:33:47 pm »
+2

What happens if the pile goes empty?  Can you still pay off the mortgage?  Thematically I would say yes, but I don't think it would work as worded since the "would gain" is impossible if there are no cards left to gain.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 02:10:35 pm »
+3

Let's all get a mortgage on some Rats.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 03:33:01 pm »

What happens if the pile goes empty?  Can you still pay off the mortgage?  Thematically I would say yes, but I don't think it would work as worded since the "would gain" is impossible if there are no cards left to gain.

When I play this IRL, we allow you to pay off the mortgage on an empty pile. However, I don't know of a way to clearly and concisely say that using Dominion terminology. If someone can think of a good way to say it, I can definitely change it. Otherwise, for simplicity's sake, this wording does indeed disallow it. Thematically, it's like a mortgage with a fixed term. If you don't pay it off in time, we foreclose.

FWIW, I also don't have a problem with it working on any Kingdom card (that is, Action, Alt-VP, and Alt-Treasure supply piles), but because that wording is confusing, it hasn't been used where it otherwise works.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 06:10:09 pm »
+1

You could set aside a card from the pile (maybe onto your Tavern mat), that you can return to the supply (thus paying off the mortgage) when you have $X unspent (like Wine Merchant's discard clause). You'd have to test whether to have this set-aside card count for end-game conditions.

But shouldn't a Mortgage charge ongoing interest? For example, "At the start of Cleanup, if you have a Mortgage token on a Supply pile, take your -$1 token." (A second Mortgage token could incur the "-1 Card" token, etc). Or else 'At the start of your Buy phase, discard a treasure or reveal a hand with no Treasures", or some such.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 07:49:32 pm »
+2

But shouldn't a Mortgage charge ongoing interest? For example, "At the start of Cleanup, if you have a Mortgage token on a Supply pile, take your -$1 token." (A second Mortgage token could incur the "-1 Card" token, etc). Or else 'At the start of your Buy phase, discard a treasure or reveal a hand with no Treasures", or some such.

Yeah, the theme breaks down a little there, but I view the $2 and the buy used on the event as the interest. With this mortgage, you just pay the interest up front.

Marcory

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 12:08:26 am »

That's pretty generous interest, considering that you typically play twice as much interest as principle on a typical mortgage  :P . But I'm not sure that they did so much with compound interest in the Middle Ages--before double-entry bookkeeping and all--and in any case, I digress.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 12:53:12 am »
+1

That's pretty generous interest, considering that you typically play twice as much interest as principle on a typical mortgage  :P . But I'm not sure that they did so much with compound interest in the Middle Ages--before double-entry bookkeeping and all--and in any case, I digress.

Don't get a 30 year mortgage... get a 15 year, and you'll pay about 1/3 the total value of the property in interest over the term at current rates.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 09:36:22 am »
+1

Don't get a 30 year mortgage... get a 15 year, and you'll pay about 1/3 the total value of the property in interest over the term at current rates.

And if at all financially possible, make an entire extra payment worth towards the principle on the day you close. The savings in interest from that alone will shorten your mortgage by many months.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 09:36:48 am »
+2

F.DS: your resource for mortgage and financing strategy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Marcory

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 10:15:22 am »
+1

Actually, this event might be more like an Islamic mortgage (murabaha) in which the lender and borrower agree on a fixed margin of profit and fees. The lender actually buys the property, and then the buyer rents the property while simultaneously making a contribution toward the purchase cost. The borrower and lender share liability for the property until the sale is complete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage_loan#Islamic_countries

Marcory

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 10:19:51 am »

And if at all financially possible, make an entire extra payment worth towards the principle on the day you close. The savings in interest from that alone will shorten your mortgage by many months.

Also, if you're paid biweekly, make a mortgage payment every other paycheck instead of on the 1st of the month, so that you effectively make an extra payment every year.

461.weavile

• Salvager
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 05:45:45 pm »

I hate to say it, but I already did an extremely similar Event, except mine had a potion-cost.

...And I based it on somebody else's card idea which didn't work as a card, but was fine as an Event.
Warlords and Wizards is my favorite expansion.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 11:50:04 am »

I hate to say it, but I already did an extremely similar Event, except mine had a potion-cost.

...And I based it on somebody else's card idea which didn't work as a card, but was fine as an Event.

Why would you hate to say that? Do you have a link? I'd love to see it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:57:58 am by Ankenaut »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 11:52:09 am »
+2

mine had a potion-cost.

Mine doesn't have a potion cost. It just trashes all the treasures you have in play when you buy it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 03:39:07 pm »

Cool.  Then for the next expansion you can do mortgage-backed securities, which is an event that can give or lose you victory points based on the mortgages that are left out when the game is complete, maybe tranched by the cost of the (top card of the) pile that its on.

Fun fact, Sir Martin lets you pay off your mortgage at a discount.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.