Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Mine  (Read 21733 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Mine
« on: April 11, 2016, 11:41:31 pm »
+1

These topics are Mine. Mine own. Mine precious. Not Jack Rudd's. Mine.

-Mine into Platinum is underappreciated, but is Mine into Relic/Treasure Trove strong and worth considering?
-Any use in an engine?
-Any weird reason to pick this card up?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Mine
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:43:04 pm »
+6

I've misclicked so many times with Golds and Platinums in play.

I think this card's on play ability is underrated, keep in mind it was released with Prosperity, so back then, you could gain tons of Royal Seals and stuff.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:45:53 pm »

I think this card's on play ability is underrated, keep in mind it was released with Prosperity, so back then, you could gain tons of Royal Seals and stuff.

Yeah. Royal Seal. What a great card.  :-\
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 11:57:23 pm »
+1

I can't recall the last time I bought this card. Bottom tier for sure. Not much else to say.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 12:00:27 am »

It's got a decent effect when there are alternate treasures around (and sometimes even just for Gold) but it's very difficult to work in to a deck in a way that isn't terrible.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 12:02:13 am »

Sometimes it's your best source of quickly trashing coppers.  And if there's Platinums or Banks or something else fun around, having an extra one is nice.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 12:03:37 am »

-Mine into Platinum is underappreciated, but is Mine into Relic/Treasure Trove strong and worth considering?

I wouldn't call it strong, but of course it's worth considering. It's highly tactical, and by that I mean the decision is dependent both on your current hand and what you want in your deck.

-Any use in an engine?

I think it's main use is in engines. It increases your buying power over time without adding more Treasures to your deck. If Copper trashing is otherwise unavailable or impractical, Mine can be great. Or even, dare I say it, in situations where your deck has a moderately large influx of Silver that you'd like to upgrade to Gold.

-Any weird reason to pick this card up?

One big "weird" reason is in conjunction with Remodel, or any other card that can turn Golds into Provinces.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 12:18:30 am »
+2

I don't know whether to be satisfied or disappointed with this.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 12:24:47 am »
+2

Mine is one of the key components of the First Game engine.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 12:25:49 am »

It's quite good when there are Gold gainers (like Tunnel, Soothsayer, Market Square) on Platinum boards.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 12:33:17 am »
+2

Anyway, Mine. Definitely works best if you can get it paired with better Treasures faster. If you're planning on using it as your Copper trasher, then good luck. Can be pretty nice with King's Court on a Platinum board, but otherwise you really want to match Mine with Silver fairly early on, and if there are Platinums to be had then you want to get Mine and Gold together not long after.

It can be pretty neat in the presence of other Treasures, too. I'd be interested in seeing how it performs with Treasure Trove in a mostly BM situation, and I'd give it serious consideration if Relic is around. Potion is another good one - as the article on the wiki points out, being able to swap other Treasures into and out of Potion can be super on an Alchemist board. Loan is actually kind of neat, since combining the two actually does make for a half-decent Copper trashing method, which you can then turn into Gold as necessary. And don't forget Silver -> Harem as a means of getting some last minute points.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 12:34:12 am »

It's quite good when there are Gold gainers (like Tunnel, Soothsayer, Market Square) on Platinum boards.
Good point. Mine + Market Square is pretty good, and can be great when there's Platinum in the mix.

EDIT: Also, how many people playing with Mine IRL forgot about the gain-to-hand part at some point?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 11:44:37 am »
+2

Anywhere where Treasure is a big part of your payload, there is no Copper trashing, and good engine potential with plenty of time to cycle, Mine is valuable, and in fact a good card. The First Game engine is the most obvious example.

Obviously this scenario is somewhat contrived. Oftentimes, it's faster to trash the Coppers and buy the Golds directly. Oftentimes, your payload isn't Treasure. Oftentimes, BM is faster than an engine using Mine to upgrade.

Any Kingdom treasure makes Mine instantly better, though not always good. Especially treasures you want sometimes, and on specific turns, but not the entire game (Potion, Loan, Contraband).
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +271
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 02:51:28 pm »
+2

You need to be careful opening this with a 5/2 opening, ya you trash 5 of your coppers  but now what are you going to buy even a silver with?  Now with Fool's Gold on the board, it's a whole different story.  Open this/Fool's Gold, and you're off to the races. 

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 02:55:42 pm »
+2

I especially like buying it with 5 coppers to trash them all.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 03:03:01 pm »

I mean, that is clearly mintmine's greatest utility.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 03:04:14 pm »
+1

Well, that and the fact that its name lends itself to both puns about the possessive pronoun, AND about its similarity to the other card, Mint.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 05:36:46 pm »

Well, that and the fact that its name lends itself to both puns about the possessive pronoun, AND about its similarity to the other card, Mint.

And these kinds of jokes are some of the oldest and most popular on this forum, which makes them get funnier with each repetition. And since the hilarity of a joke increases exponentially as it is explained (and since making jokes funnier by explaning them is another feature of this forum), this post is one of the most amusing ever on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 05:39:25 pm »
+1

Combined with the fact that Mint's name also lends itself to puns about the plant.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 06:01:56 pm »
+1

From the new set, only guide and story teller jump out as new enablers. Guide is certainly good for cycling, and mine and storyteller seem made for each other. Storytelling gets better with better treasures, mine gets better with better cycling.

I think CoTR isn't an enabler, but certainly a temptress. I can't see it being valid often though, In engine boards where there's no readily available +1 buy, this could help win the village split, but engines need +1 buy though - so perhaps boards where buy comes the form of travelling fair, a city, or from a teacher.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 01:53:57 pm »
+5

QFT
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 04:18:08 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 01:57:36 pm »
+1

This card could cost $4 I think and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 02:04:18 pm »
+2

The picture just shows how worthless it is. Three miners in the whole mine (which is small, you can see the beginning of it) and only one of them is actually mining. The other two are pushing a cart. Seriously, one of those guys is going to get his feet run over.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 03:09:14 pm »

Is Mine still regarded as almost always ignorable in 2018?  And if so, should it have been updated in 2nd Edition?

If "+$1" were added to Mine, would it make a difference?  Would it be OP as a cantrip?  Would it be strong if it had "+1 Action"?  What if it gave +$2 (and would it then have to cost $6 or $7)?

For example, imagine if it had +1 Action and you had it on the same board as Bureaucrat.  Probably not necessarily a top-tier combo, but without +1 Action tacked on, trying to combo Mine with Bureaucrat and enough Villages is completely unreliable and not worth taking on the failure rate.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 03:33:24 pm »

Is Mine still regarded as almost always ignorable in 2018?  And if so, should it have been updated in 2nd Edition?

Mine is really nice with Platinums and boards where there's no Copper trashing but everything else and reason to build up
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 1.641 seconds with 21 queries.