Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Question Regarding single card resolution (Noob)  (Read 2609 times)

pvtforlife

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Question Regarding single card resolution (Noob)
« on: January 22, 2012, 03:56:29 am »

I am still new to the game and have a question about the order that things are resolved on the cards.  Vault in particular came up this evening while we were playing.  In this example +2 Cards and I may discard any number of cards to get +1 for each card discarded.

Do I get to draw the 2 cards first and then decide what to discard?  Do I have to discard the cards at the time I play vault and then draw the cards? 

There are other cards also...that this has come up while we were playing so I cannot remember the rest? 

Basically I guess I am asking in what order do the items on the cards get resolved?  Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Question Regarding single card resolution (Noob)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 04:29:40 am »
+1

Cards get resolved from top to bottom as completely as possible.

In the Vault example, you would draw two cards first assuming your deck had two cards available to draw. If not, you would draw 1/0, shuffle over your discard pile and then continue drawing up to 2. If there are less than 2 cards in your draw and discard piles combined, you draw them all. You then discard any number of cards from your hand for $1 each. Your opponent's then decide (in turn starting with the player on your left) whether or not they wish to discard two cards from their hand, and anybody who does so can then draw one card.

pvtforlife

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:03:23 am »

Thank you...that clears up a bunch of stuff.  Coming from a TCG background this is much different.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 03:53:37 pm »

Thank you...that clears up a bunch of stuff.  Coming from a TCG background this is much different.

Doesn't Magic have the exact same rule? (You do everything on the card from top to bottom).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pvtforlife

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 10:05:49 pm »

Actually the discarding of the cards would be an additional cost of the card that must be payed before the effect.  So you would have to discard before you would have gotten to draw any cards.  I am unsure how they word the cards now though.  I have not played MTG since 2000 but I am assuming they cleared up the ruling and wording on the cards. 

The card would enter the first in last out and priority would pass.  As the card resolves all costs would already have to be paid, in this case it would be the number to discard.  After the spell resolves the effects would follow, Draw 2 cards, then draw (X) cards depending on the number previously discarded.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:08:30 pm by pvtforlife »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:52:14 am »

Actually the discarding of the cards would be an additional cost of the card that must be payed before the effect.  So you would have to discard before you would have gotten to draw any cards.  I am unsure how they word the cards now though.  I have not played MTG since 2000 but I am assuming they cleared up the ruling and wording on the cards. 

The card would enter the first in last out and priority would pass.  As the card resolves all costs would already have to be paid, in this case it would be the number to discard.  After the spell resolves the effects would follow, Draw 2 cards, then draw (X) cards depending on the number previously discarded.

Ah. I believe that if discarding is a part of the cost, then it will specifically state "as an additional cost to casting X, discard a card." Or, if it is an activated ability, rather than a spell, the "discard a card" would go before the ":", making it part of the cost. A spell could still cost one blue mana, and say "target player discards a card." In this case, discarding a card is part of the spell resolution, not part of the cost. (Even if you chose yourself as the target player.)]

But I understand the reason for the confusion now! In Dominion, there is no cost to play an action card, other than using up an available action. So actions that say to discard are not adding an additional cost to playing the card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:05:35 am »

There's an implied cost to some action cards. This cost does not actually prevent you from playing the card if it's not paid; it just does not get the full benefit.

For example, Tactician states that you discard your hand. That's a resolution of the card and not a cost at all. If you discard at least one card using this method, then you get +5 Cards, +1 Action, +1 Buy, +1 Partridge in a Pear Tree. Technically speaking, discarding at least one card is not part of the cost of playing Tactician. You can always play it even if it gives you an empty hand afterwards.

Same thing for cards like Trading Post. You can play it without two cards in your hand, but if you do, then you don't get the Silver.

So, Ikari is right that action cards don't have additional costs other than -1 Action just to play them. Some cards do have other costs to get more out of them, though.
A man has no signature

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:25:19 pm »

Not sure if the OP just made a typo or is misreading the card, but Vault gives you +$1 for each card discarded, not +1 Card.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.