Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Farming Village-inspired idea  (Read 1692 times)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
Farming Village-inspired idea
« on: April 11, 2016, 01:05:46 pm »

Here is an idea inspired by the recent talk about how dull Farming Village is compared to pretty much any other card in Dominion - Scout at least has character, Woodcutter has nostalgia, and Chancellor has chin.
It's a sifting village, like FaV, but unlike FaV it has a very restricted set of cards it can draw.

Forest Village - 4c Action
+2 Actions

Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a card costing exactly 3c. Put that card into your hand and discard the other cards.

I've thought about several cost-target combinations, and I think cost 4-target 3 is the most interesting. C4-T4 would be hylarious (play all the villages!) but ultimately yucky, C3-T4 is cool with smithy but likely too dependent on having decent 4c actions (or 4c cards at all, for that matter), even though I liked the interaction with Potion. C6-T5 I suspect would be way too good way too often.
I like the interaction with Silver, guaranteeing you have at least one decent card to hit, giving you the option to fall back to buyless Festival in case nothing else is going on (or you can always do mandatory-Chancelling-Necropolis, if you really need one). Strong threes will of course make this card shine, in particular drawing and attacking ones. It might be too obvious of an interaction, though, but threes are generally so harmless that I hope that even the strongest combo cards won't become a dumb dominant strategy. Forest village+Oracle is a Lab-plus in two cheap pieces, but Labs alone won't bring you very far.

Woodcutters of course like themselves in Forest Villages.
(still a worse combo than Festival)
(Festival-what?)
(Festival-nothing.)

Anyhow, am I onto something, or is this too clunky?

Harvest! Harvest is more dull than Farming Village.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:06:37 pm by Accatitippi »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Farming Village-inspired idea
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 01:16:51 pm »
+2

It's probably not supposed to have both +1 card and the other effect putting another card in your hand.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 02:01:21 pm »

I'm guessing this is stronger than most Villages. Consider Sage... this is basically Sage with an extra action. Sage is "just" a cantrip, yet it's worth . If the effect of sifting for Sage is good enough to make a "cantrip" effect into a , then it's probably too good to turn a Village into just a . I'm not saying it's strong enough to be worth though.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 02:07:06 pm »
+1

I'm guessing this is stronger than most Villages. Consider Sage... this is basically Sage with an extra action. Sage is "just" a cantrip, yet it's worth . If the effect of sifting for Sage is good enough to make a "cantrip" effect into a , then it's probably too good to turn a Village into just a . I'm not saying it's strong enough to be worth though.

The effect is much weaker than sage since it can't find 4+ costs.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 02:07:53 pm »

It's probably not supposed to have both +1 card and the other effect putting another card in your hand.

Haha, you're right. I wrote the right text, and then I went "oh, I forgot to put +Card there, how funny".

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 02:12:04 pm »

I see what you mean, but in absence of drawing 3-cost (which are fairly rare), I can't say I agree. Building an engine with non-drawing villages is much harder, and if your draw is not a 3c, Forest village might as well be a Necropolis for how much it helps your engine run.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 02:32:02 pm »
+1

The effect is much weaker than sage since it can't find 4+ costs.

I missed that it was exactly and not at least.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 20 queries.