Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A card that combos with Scout  (Read 2347 times)

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
A card that combos with Scout
« on: April 10, 2016, 09:13:40 pm »
+4

There's another thread with a bracket for cards that combo with Scout. Here's my favorite. Unlike the other cards I've posted in my short time posting here, I've actually playtested this.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: A card that combos with Scout
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 09:15:10 pm »
+1

I appreciate this. It reminds me of Crossroads, another card that combos stupendously with Scout.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 02:06:37 am »
+2

Prince it to begin endless game!
Reveal Watchtower!
King's Court it!
Process and Graverob it!

Fun.

But unfortunately, this is usually weak. Who wants to buy it if other 5-cost cards are more attractive?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 02:20:09 am »
+2

I appreciate this. It reminds me of Crossroads, another card that combos stupendously with Scout.
I once tried a Crossroads, Great Hall, Scout deck, maybe even with Ironworks as well.

It was surprisingly lackluster.

Reveal Watchtower!
King's Court it!
Process and Graverob it!

Fun.

But unfortunately, this is usually weak. Who wants to buy it if other 5-cost cards are more attractive?
Maybe not as your first $5, but if it yields more than 2 VP per turn consistently, it could be a real strategy to set up with your other $5s.
Just try to draw your deck, including 3 Estates and score 3 VP each turn, seems pretty good.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:21:43 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 05:44:04 am »
+1

I once tried a Crossroads, Great Hall, Scout deck, maybe even with Ironworks as well.

Reveal Watchtower!
King's Court it!
Process and Graverob it!

Fun.

Maybe not as your first $5, but if it yields more than 2 VP per turn consistently, it could be a real strategy to set up with your other $5s.
Just try to draw your deck, including 3 Estates and score 3 VP each turn, seems pretty good.

Its isnt weak, its goons level strong. Like with goons with basically any engine on board you should go goons you should also go general. Even with weak one as buying one estate and three generals per turn you will generate 12vp that outpaces engine that double provinces each turn

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 05:51:23 am »
+1

Great card!
The "when you did not buy anything trash this" condition is one of the ways I ever saw that prevents the creation of a deck with only non-terminal VP token gainers (and in this case Victory cards) and thus a potentially endless game.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 05:59:44 am »

Graverobber en roque wave seducingly to Tristan.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 06:14:35 am »

And in practice it doesnt matter much as you could almost always buy cantrip or build your deck more

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 07:00:16 am »
+1

Its isnt weak, its goons level strong. Like with goons with basically any engine on board you should go goons you should also go general. Even with weak one as buying one estate and three generals per turn you will generate 12vp that outpaces engine that double provinces each turn
The point is you cannot always draw your deck. It only works when Village and Smithy is in Supply.Usually its pile is unused. Goons always works because it can attack and earn money.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 09:17:37 am »

And in practice it doesnt matter much as you could almost always buy cantrip or build your deck more
Huh? Cantrips vary in price between 2 and 5. ^^

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 10:54:21 am »
+1

Reveal Watchtower!
King's Court it!
Process and Graverob it!

Fun.

I don't think I said this card was weak, because I don't think so.
I think it's pretty okay in the sense that it might get bought in some games, although 5 is a competitive price point indeed.
Getting VPs without getting stop cards in your deck is quite nice.

Goons is strong because it combos with itself, the attack means that it's likely to be more difficult to get Provinces. And because Provinces are more scarce, the VPs it accumulates are more important. And double, triple, etc. Goons is gamechanging.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 12:31:32 pm »
+1

Reveal Watchtower!
King's Court it!
Process and Graverob it!

Fun.

I don't think I said this card was weak, because I don't think so.
I think it's pretty okay in the sense that it might get bought in some games, although 5 is a competitive price point indeed.
Getting VPs without getting stop cards in your deck is quite nice.

Goons is strong because it combos with itself, the attack means that it's likely to be more difficult to get Provinces. And because Provinces are more scarce, the VPs it accumulates are more important. And double, triple, etc. Goons is gamechanging.

I like this card a lot. As the other vp-gainers it can warp boards around itself, and unlike Goons it doesn't always do it. :)
In case it should be too rarely good (which I seriously doubt), I think making it a 1-coin treasure for 5 would make players consider it much more often.
I would also seriously consider having it discard the victory cards to prevent the sort of degenerate games where winning this split means winning the game (this being non-terminal, I think it's a valid concern).

Somewhat like thinning and junking, people are going to try to use vp-token cards no matter what, so I doubt discarding cards would make it too weak.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 21 queries.