Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Militia  (Read 2885 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Militia
« on: April 10, 2016, 02:26:55 pm »
+1

A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country.
                                                                                                                                                                         James Madison
-Has this attack gotten weaker or stronger with the advent of Adventures?
-How does this card compare to other $4 cards?
-How bad is a discard attack compared to the new Adventures attacks? Older attacks?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Militia
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:44:49 pm »
+2

Militia is very strong. Cards like Guide lessen it's power, but often getting Militia in play first can help you get a power $5 or $6 cost while denying an opponent that same card. In some cases, this can actually determine the winner, especially if the other player is constantly denied the key card. Okay, Goons and Merc. are better discard attacks, but this is still pretty good.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 02:48:07 pm »
+5

masquerade means this card says discard down to 2
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 02:52:02 pm »

It has happend several times in our friends group that the first person to get militia out wins because of the snowball effect. I mean, maybe not just because of that, but it's a huge part of the deal.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:27:47 pm »
+2

One thing I've been wondering is how much stronger Militia is as first player. Does anyone have any math or just good intuitions on this?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 03:35:59 pm »

One thing I've been wondering is how much stronger Militia is as first player. Does anyone have any math or just good intuitions on this?

Well, if you get blocked from a good $5 or $6 buy because of a Militia play, that really sucks. P2 can also do this, but it is much less likely.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 03:49:43 pm »
+1

It is very noticeable with powerful $5 cards on the board. The first player to play Militia is likely hitting $5 that turn and has a good chance to deny his opponent that card the following turn. This advantage is even bigger with 4 players, since it is likely that at least one player will play a Militia each round and if you managed to get something like a Wharf before that you have a huge advantage.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 05:13:59 pm »

It seems good but long militia games have plenty of turns later where the luck can even out. Militia-BM hasn't much more first player advantage than anything else.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 07:13:55 pm »
+1

It seems good but long militia games have plenty of turns later where the luck can even out. Militia-BM hasn't much more first player advantage than anything else.

The simulator data backs you up, but I'm not sure I agree with using big money as the baseline strategy to make the comparison here, because in practice screwing the opponent out of a key 5 on turn 3 or 4 can just end the game.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 01:19:03 am »

Silver is not a key $5. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.