Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cultist and Market Square  (Read 2729 times)

vsiewnar

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +296
    • View Profile
Cultist and Market Square
« on: April 09, 2016, 12:44:25 pm »

Online, I trashed a Cultist and then drew into a Market Square. The game then asked if I wanted to trigger Market Square's gain of Gold. Is this how this interaction is supposed to work?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Cultist and Market Square
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:57:46 pm »

It doesn't seem logical, but I suppose since MF implements it...
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 12:57:59 pm »
+4

Yes.  http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Market_Square

Quote from: The Wiki
Other Rules clarifications
You can discard Market Square before or after other when-trashed triggers. For example, if you trash a Cultist while holding a Market Square in hand, two things happen - you can discard the Market Square to gain a Gold, and you can draw 3 cards due to Cultist's when-trashed ability. You can do these in any order - you can first draw 3 cards and then discard one or more Market Squares to gain Gold (even ones that you just drew), or you can first discard a Market Square to gain a Gold, and then draw 3 cards from trashing the Cultist. You can even do both - discard a Market Square to gain a Gold, draw 3 cards for trashing the Cultist, and then discard another Market Square from your hand! (Yes, it is technically possible to discard the same Market Square twice, if you drew it again!)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 01:00:55 pm »
+3

Online, I trashed a Cultist and then drew into a Market Square. The game then asked if I wanted to trigger Market Square's gain of Gold. Is this how this interaction is supposed to work?

Yes.

Basically, if you trash a Cultist, two things happen:
1) +3 cards
2) you may discard a Market Square
...and you can do (2) before or after (1) (or both, if you have more than one Market Square). It doesn't matter whether the Market Square was in hand when you trashed the Cultist; what matters is whether the Market Square is in hand at the time at which you're permitted to discard a Market Square.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 01:17:00 pm »
+4

Also, there's no way to discern between cards you had in hand prior to drawing and cards you drew with Cultist (you don't reveal cards you draw and normally you don't reveal your hand).

So the Market Square you reveal could have been in your hand the whole time.

It's also legal to react to an attack with Secret Chamber, draw 2 cards, put 2 random cards back, reveal a Moat you just drew to ignore the attack, reveal Secret Chamber again to put Moat back on top. Reactions are weird, man.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 01:23:30 pm »

This also works with OGE being trashed and Apprentice doing the trashing.  Not sure if it works with Raze.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 01:28:55 pm »
+1

Also, there's no way to discern between cards you had in hand prior to drawing and cards you drew with Cultist (you don't reveal cards you draw and normally you don't reveal your hand).

It's also legal to react to an attack with Secret Chamber, draw 2 cards, put 2 random cards back, reveal a Moat you just drew to ignore the attack, reveal Secret Chamber again to put Moat back on top. Reactions are weird, man.

Due to the way MF handles Secret chamber, I'm not sure you'll be able to do it online, though.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 01:31:35 pm »

This also works with OGE being trashed and Apprentice doing the trashing.  Not sure if it works with Raze.
It doesn't work with Apprentice or Raze, only Cultist, Rats, and OE. Once you are drawing cards from Apprentice it is too late to react to the trash event.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 02:15:22 pm »

Ucultist has a on-trash ability?

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 05:35:56 pm »

I remember I once bought a Farmland, trashing OGE and drawing Hovel, and it let me trash Hovel for buying Farmland. I'm pretty sure this is right.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 06:18:32 am »

Due to the way MF handles Secret chamber, I'm not sure you'll be able to do it online, though.
I don't think so.

Isotropic let you do it!

#isowasbetter :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 06:40:36 pm »
+1

I remember I once bought a Farmland, trashing OGE and drawing Hovel, and it let me trash Hovel for buying Farmland. I'm pretty sure this is right.
I do believe it is. You buy Farmland, and trigger all on-buy effects. You resolve the Farmland on-buy, trashing OGE. This triggers on-trash effects, and you resolve OGE's. Once you are no longer resolving on-trash effects, you "jump" back to the outer set of triggers, being the ones reacting to Farmland's buy. And since you have a Hovel in hand, you can resolve its on-buy effect. Like the other examples, it doesn't matter that the Hovel wasn't in your hand before, as long as it's there before you finish resolving the "on-buys".
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.