Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Feast  (Read 7590 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Feast
« on: April 05, 2016, 07:20:34 pm »
+3

Feast: It's what's for dinner.

-Is it ever worth going for Feast on an opening over Silver?
-Is this one of the worst Dominion cards of all time?
-Is a scenario where Feast is simply incredible to get? (I'm going to say no)

I can't wait to get out of Base Set.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Feast
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 07:21:11 pm »
+2

Quick note: Procession is a monster with Feast, getting you three gains of $5. Hey, it's something.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 07:48:00 pm »

other people open it on rebuild boards, i don't. in a strong throney engine without buys it is worth it to gain a feast with feast which is fun
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 07:50:41 pm »
+2

Feast: It's what's for dinner.

You get a +1 just for this joke.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 07:58:47 pm »
+4

I only ever open Feast when there are powerful $5 cards and I don't want Silvers and there is no way to get rid of the Silver once you have them.  Minion comes to mind.  But even then, I might be totally wrong.  It's certainly tempting in such scenarios, even if it's bad.

I think I get Feasts on $4 mid- to late-game when I'm going Duchy/Duke.

-Is a scenario where Feast is simply incredible to get?
I have used KC-Feast to gain good $5 card - good $5 card - Feast, and then repeat with the other Feast.  In such a scenario, even paying much greater than $4 for the Feast can be worth it.  Example:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12727.0

But ya, these things are pretty rare.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:03:23 pm by Dingan »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 08:10:05 pm »
+1

A great (if narrow) use of Feast is to gain the last City from the pile so that you can benefit from the additional empty pile before your opponent does.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:31:25 pm »

Feast is what you open with on a board with no s.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 09:34:13 pm »
+4

Silver is what you open with on a board with no s.
FTFY
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 09:35:45 pm »

Procession and King's Court are amazing with Feast in the presence of lots of desirable $5 cards, especially if the $4 options are otherwise uninspiring and Silver isn't a good thing - so any board that favours a moneyless deck is good. Graverobber is pretty nice. Duke is also good, or any other reason you might want Duchies (such as near end-game).

The other case where Feast is pretty cool is on a board where there are a couple of competing strategies and it's in your interests to wait for your opponent to pick one and then go for the counter. Or similarly, in a 3P game where you're better off going for the strategy that the other players don't pick.

Also, Feast helps to counter Embargo. If there are Embargo tokens on Silver, or on the key engine piece, just buy Feasts and convert them. You may lose tempo against buying the card directly, but if you can't handle the Curses it can be worth the trade-off.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 12:09:43 am »
+3

Plus, you can Summon a Feast. [Runs and hides.]

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 12:13:17 am »

The bots seem to have found the ultimate Feast-based strategy: repeatedly play BoM as Feast to gain another BoM, then finally gain a Duchy when the BoMs are gone.  I think someone posted a game log with this, and I tried it out.  Whenever you have the two in the same kingdom, the bots seems to go for it. 

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 12:18:18 am »
+1

Plus, you can Summon a Feast. [Runs and hides.]

Edge cases:
-You had to Ghost Ship your Watchtower.
-You want a Duchy to miss the reshuffle.
-Someone else played Haunted Woods or Swamp Hag or Embargo, or you played Contraband.
-Your opponent Possessed you, and put your +1 Action token on Feast.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 12:34:25 am »

I was referring to the discussion when Summon came out, in which none other than LastFootnote concluded that Summon-Feast is actually a thing sometimes.

But I am curious as to whether there is an edge case for Prince of Feast, other than that you have an Outpost or Mission turn coming up and getting a Duchy will win you the game then, after you have bought an Estate on your current turn to put you only 2 points behind.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:36:16 am by Marcory »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 02:32:49 am »
+1

Throning a Feast almost feels like cheating, it's so good.

Opening Feast just to get the $5 is only good in some cases.
Everyone likes to hate on Silver, but it's a pretty decent card and its longevity often wins out over Feast.

I mean, yes you can open Feast/Silver to make sure you get *insert favorite junker/attacker*, but as you're likely to get attacked yourself over the course of the game, having one extra Silver can really help get more of those $5s in the long run.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:54:26 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 04:53:03 am »

Everyone likes to hate on Silver, but it's a pretty decent card and its longevity often wins out over Feast.

I mean, yes you can open Feast/Silver to make sure you get *insert favorite junker/attacker*, but as you're likely to get attacked yourself over the course of the game, having one extra Silver can really help get more of those $5s in the long run.

I remember a game where feast and cultists where on the board (and no other 4s), I considered opening Feast but decided against it and went for Silver/Silver. My opponent got Feast/Silver and that proved to be inferior, since the additional Silver really helped me in conjunction with the cultists

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 08:18:30 am »
+1

I think I've only opened a feast if my opponent has opened a militia/cutpurse, and there's a 5 that I really really want. Silvers opposite militia and cutpurse leave a good chance of hitting 4 repeatedly.

As happened recently in a game I played, I opened double urchin, my opponent did too. His urchins hit turn 3, I went down to 4 coppers. I didn't hit 5 until quite late game, my urchins didn't collide turn 4 (awful luck). If a feast had been available it would have been a useful, not necessarily turn 1 or 2, but turn 5. In order to close the deficit a little.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 08:20:27 am »

I remember a game where feast and cultists where on the board (and no other 4s), I considered opening Feast but decided against it and went for Silver/Silver. My opponent got Feast/Silver and that proved to be inferior, since the additional Silver really helped me in conjunction with the cultists

Oh, easily. You could have wondrous T3/4 hands of S/C/C/C and C/C/E/E/F but it never works out that way, and hands of S/C/C/C/E and S/C/C/C/E are simply better, even if it is one extra evil Silver card in your deck.

I think I've only opened a feast if my opponent has opened a militia/cutpurse, and there's a 5 that I really really want. Silvers opposite militia and cutpurse leave a good chance of hitting 4 repeatedly.

That's an interesting reason to open Feast, I think I would consider it in that scenario. But again, I could have Silver/Militia in my deck instead of Silver/Feast.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 08:23:09 am »
+12

On a board with no $4s, you cannot open Feast.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 08:28:31 am »
+1

On a board with no $4s, you cannot open Feast.

Don't you have some unlimited knowledge and earthly pleasures to enjoy? :)

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 08:33:08 am »

That's an interesting reason to open Feast, I think I would consider it in that scenario. But again, I could have Silver/Militia in my deck instead of Silver/Feast.

I think usually you are correct, with the presence of villages, you would certainly be. When there are no villages (or only expensive villages), it's felt like the correct play. I think the necessity of doing this as player 1 is low. You have a 100% chance of an unhindered first hand, and a 50% chance of an unhindered second. In position 2 (or the dreaded multiplayer) you have an 80% chance of one of them being hindered.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 20 queries.