Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Author Topic: What does everyone think is the best village 2.0  (Read 49361 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: What does everyone think is the best village 2.0
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 12:20:39 pm »

Feature request for 7.0: allow two votes, one for 'best' and one for 'favorite'.

I voted Fishing Village as the best one.  Hard to say between Fishing Village and Wandering Minstrel. 

Though, for favorite village I have to go with Ironmonger; I just like it more than everything else.  Herald is probably 2nd place, but that's more likely because I love seeing my whole deck fly out on fast mode on Goko. 

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 04:18:05 pm »

Why isn't Prince or Teacher on the list? And what about Outpost, Mission, and Possession?

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 04:44:31 pm »
+1

I don't think Lost Arts and Champion belong in this poll. They feel and play even less like villages than the TR-variants, same goes for Teacher. Those cards being included here just warps the whole voting.

And what about Outpost, Mission, and Possession?

Those aren't villages.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 05:00:26 pm »
+2

Just put all the cards in the poll. 

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 05:10:09 pm »
+1

Just put all the cards in the poll.
Yeah, it looks like the definition of "village" is getting broader by the minute.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 05:11:28 pm »

I don't think Lost Arts and Champion belong in this poll. They feel and play even less like villages than the TR-variants, same goes for Teacher. Those cards being included here just warps the whole voting.

And what about Outpost, Mission, and Possession?

Those aren't villages.

Apparently, I've let so many cards into the poll that it seems like a general "what is the best card in Dominion" poll.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 05:51:55 pm »

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Villages

I think the introduction paragraph is misleading because while "village" can be used interchangeably with "splitter", "splitter" always means every card that is capable of splitting an action into two or more actions, whereas "village" usually has a narrower definition which varies depending on who you ask.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 05:59:09 pm »

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Villages

I think the introduction paragraph is misleading because while "village" can be used interchangeably with "splitter", "splitter" always means every card that is capable of splitting an action into two or more actions, whereas "village" usually has a narrower definition which varies depending on who you ask.

Honestly, I don't know who these people are that use "splitter", other than you.  Everyone else I talk to or who I watch stream just calls them "villages".
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 06:04:16 pm »

Honestly, I don't know who these people are that use "splitter", other than you.  Everyone else I talk to or who I watch stream just calls them "villages".

Well, if you search for "splitter" on f.ds, you'll find a lot of posts other than mine, although it is true that I'm way overrepresented in those search results.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 06:06:59 pm »

I did not add the Throne Room variants because I think they are quite different from villages. They just allow other cards to be played like villages.

Not at all! You don't necessarily even need any cards with +1 Action for Throne Room to be a village. Start a hand with Throne Room / Throne Room / Smithy and keep the chain going with more throne rooms and payload / draw.

Good point! Never thought of that. If lots of people vote your comment up, or have similar posts, I will add them. However, once KC is added, almost everyone will vote for it  :).
Well that's hardly an argument against having a proper list of villages, is it.

I personally count Throne Rooms as full-on villages, when counting villages, to make sure I have a good number of villages. They can be harder to use but then so can some of the other villages.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 07:11:37 pm »
+1

I did not add the Throne Room variants because I think they are quite different from villages. They just allow other cards to be played like villages.

Not at all! You don't necessarily even need any cards with +1 Action for Throne Room to be a village. Start a hand with Throne Room / Throne Room / Smithy and keep the chain going with more throne rooms and payload / draw.

Good point! Never thought of that. If lots of people vote your comment up, or have similar posts, I will add them. However, once KC is added, almost everyone will vote for it  :).

I personally count Throne Rooms as full-on villages, when counting villages, to make sure I have a good number of villages. They can be harder to use but then so can some of the other villages.

Well, I guess I have to add the TR variants now  :). Popular demand and Donald X. have spoken!

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +629
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 07:15:36 pm »
+1

Well, I guess I have to add the TR variants now  :). Popular demand and Donald X. have spoken!
If you're worried about everyone voting for King's Court, you could always change the question to "What is the best village other than King's Court"?
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 07:19:37 pm »

To make this poll worthwhile, we need subdivisions of villages and then see which is the best in which category?

Another suggestion would be: vote for the top x (3-5-7) strongest villages. Maybe we see some diversity there.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 08:24:02 pm »
+11

To make this poll worthwhile, we need subdivisions of villages and then see which is the best in which category?

Another suggestion would be: vote for the top x (3-5-7) strongest villages. Maybe we see some diversity there.
Dude. We could have a bracket. Pair off the villages, vote for best in each pair; then do the winning pairs and so on.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 08:25:16 pm »
+1

Dude. We could have a bracket. Pair off the villages, vote for best in each pair; then do the winning pairs and so on.

Village Madness?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 08:35:49 pm »

Village Madness?

I support this endeavor.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2016, 08:36:34 pm »

I use the tag AdrianHealey online and I support this message.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2016, 08:42:36 pm »

Should Prince be added?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2016, 09:07:00 pm »

So it looks like everyone wants brackets. But how should they be organized? I'm willing to prepare something like this, but I need some more details, because currently without any details I can't really do anything. Any ideas are welcome. I do enjoy making these polls, and brackets sound fun.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:08:33 pm by McGarnacle »

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2016, 09:08:41 pm »

So it looks like everyone wants brackets. But how should they be organized? I'm willing to prepare something like this, but I need some more details, because currently without any details I can't really do anything. Any ideas are welcome. I do enjoy making these polls.
There are 39 options. If I were you I'd knock off seven villages that got no votes, then have a bracket like the NCAA.

By 'like the NCAA,' you should put the cards in order from most to least votes. Have a coin flip for ties. You'll have a list like this:

Village 1
Village 2
Village 3
Village 4
V5
V6
V7
V31
V32

Take all the odd numbers and put them in the Scout division. The evens should go in the other division. Then google a NCAA bracket. You have the 16 seed play the one seed and the 8 seed play the 9 seed. The winner of the 16 vs. 1 plays the winner of the 8 vs. 9. Villages slowly get eliminated until the best from the Scout division and the other division play each other in the final poll.

I hope that makes sense!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:13:09 pm by Roadrunner7671 »
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2016, 09:10:36 pm »

So it looks like everyone wants brackets. But how should they be organized? I'm willing to prepare something like this, but I need some more details, because currently without any details I can't really do anything. Any ideas are welcome. I do enjoy making these polls, and brackets sound fun.

If we want to do it legit, you want to make sure the 'strongest' villages don't immediately meet each other in a straight competition.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2016, 09:44:15 pm »

Just to make sure you know, I'm pretty sure Donald and the others were kidding when they said they wanted brackets.

OTOH, if we do do brackets, we should have good players play each other with two villages in the kingdom, and one player is only allowed to use one village, and the other player uses the other village...

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2016, 12:08:20 am »

Just to make sure you know, I'm pretty sure Donald and the others were kidding when they said they wanted brackets.

OTOH, if we do do brackets, we should have good players play each other with two villages in the kingdom, and one player is only allowed to use one village, and the other player uses the other village...

I'm not sure that's a good comparison. It's hard to compare say, Nobles and Hamlet, because of their dramatically different price points. Also, some villages are close enough that the winning player will probably be determined more by strategy choice and shuffle luck than by the superiority of the village.

Also, the village's utility will be determined by the kingdom. Fishing village is obviously stronger than Vanilla Village in kingdoms with Watchtower or Library as the only source of draw. Squire might be more useful because you can trash it get Familiars or Goons than from any ability to enable an engine. Fortress is pretty weak on boards without trashing, but can be the centerpiece of a winning strategy with Bishop on the board.

Thus, on a given board, forcing one player to go for a particular village rather than another might tip the game to one of the players regardless of the village's overall value.

A better idea would be to have the players play two identical kingdoms, one with one village and one with the other, without any cards that will have a particularly strong interaction with one village versus the other (I.e. don't compare Hamlet to Squire when Tunnel is on the board, or when trashing + strong attacks are available). Then compare how quickly the winning player won, the margin of victory, etc to see which produced the more efficient engine.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:32:47 am by Marcory »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2016, 12:42:55 am »
+12

Yeah who would want to do this bracket nonsense. It's super lame.

I took off the cards you can't buy (Necropolis, Madman, Disciple, Champion), Lost Arts since it's an Event, Tribute because who likes that and your opponent can just buy treasures and VP so there, and Prince because I was still a card over.

I put the other cards in a rough order for a vote on favorite, rather than most powerful, man we have Qvist's polls for power level, just look at what order they ended up in if you want. Anyway favorite is more interesting to me so there you go.

1 King's Court
2 Walled Village

3 Crossroads
4 Mining Village

5 Herald
6 Farming Village

7 Hamlet
8 Plaza

9 Royal Carriage
10 Village

11 Throne Room
12 Squire

13 Fortress
14 Festival

15 Fishing Village
16 Port

17 Procession
18 Shanty Town

19 Ironmonger
20 University

21 Wandering Minstrel
22 Bandit Camp

23 Inn
24 Lost City

25 Border Village
26 Bazaar

27 Golem
28 Nobles

29 City
30 Worker's Village

31 Native Village
32 Coin of the Realm

So you pick one card from each pair to vote for. List all your votes in a post. You have until sometime, at which point possibly someone will tally them up and we will move on to the second round with the top 16.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.