Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Council Room  (Read 10766 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Council Room
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 05:16:14 am »
+1

The only thing you need with Council Room is money and that's pretty easy to come by, because it's in every game!
If you have just an Hunting Grounds, you still need to find your +Buy or +Gain somewhere to make use of your huge hands.

If you don't have anything but money in addition to Council Room, you won't be able to utilize the +buy much, either.

True although Kingdom Treasures change this --  Council Room/Bank or Council Room / Fool's Gold will reliably produce double province turns (and of course in the latter case, turns like Province/FG, not to mention a couple of early FG/FG turns).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 05:54:22 am »
+1

The only thing you need with Council Room is money and that's pretty easy to come by, because it's in every game!
If you have just an Hunting Grounds, you still need to find your +Buy or +Gain somewhere to make use of your huge hands.

If you don't have anything but money in addition to Council Room, you won't be able to utilize the +buy much, either.
My point is that if you're choosing a strategy, you ask yourself questions like:
How can I improve my handsize?
How can I get more than 1 card per turn?

CR answers those questions with 1 card.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 07:13:30 am »
+1

My point is that if you're choosing a strategy, you ask yourself questions like:

When I'm choosing a strategy, I ask myself questions like:
Are there any combo strategies available?
Are there any rush strategies available?
What is the best engine payload?
Can I build an engine around that payload?
Are there any slog strategies available?
What's the best BM terminal?

Out of those questions, Council Room only really answers the last one significantly more than Hunting Grounds does.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 07:23:42 am »
+1

Out of those questions, Council Room only really answers the last one significantly more than Hunting Grounds does.

Its cost and its +Buy make it sometimes better than Hunting grounds at Question#4 too.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 07:37:21 am »

Its cost and its +Buy make it sometimes better than Hunting grounds at Question#4 too.

Not really. If there's already a payload worth building an engine for, I'd take Hunting Grounds in the kingdom over Council Room every time.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 08:04:06 am »
+1

Not really. If there's already a payload worth building an engine for, I'd take Hunting Grounds in the kingdom over Council Room every time.

Yeah, but +Buy is very often part of that payload, in the form of multiple province turns, and even when it is not you want that +Buy for multiple component turns. Only in scenarios where your whole engine is just handed to you is Hunting Grounds a lot better than Council Room, and Dominion engines are rarely that perfect.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 08:08:54 am »

In the base set, with few cards that provide +1 Buy, this is a good card. Early game it builds your engine, late game it allows you to check out.

The real questions for a base set C.R. are:
1. Is the chapel out?
2. Is throne room out?
3. Are the buys necessary?

The easiest question in the base set for C.R. is "is the chapel out?", if the answer is yes, then the main detriment to the C.R. is gone, because that extra card for them will only be kickstarting an engine if they've over greened, but you should be in a better position than that. If they've over greened before you've tried to check-out I'm confused. If the answer is no, you really need to have an idea about how stable their engine is. If it'll fire every turn, the C.R. is good. If it requires a set of collisions... If the chapel isn't out, then you don't want to use this as a draw-your-deck.

The second question, is important solely because it's the only card you can truly "make good" (mine and moneylender are truly edge cases). You have to evaluate the throne room threat. This ties in to the stability of their engine, but it makes a difference if you're on the edge of greening and already have enough for your last engine parts you don't play a C.R. to try for a province too.

The third is the question is absolutely vital. It's usually the main question between this and another terminal draw, the buys can make a big difference. I lost the province split 5/3 with a C.R. engine (I started greening a little too late, when you're buying 3 provinces a turn that's an awful error), but could pump my deck to size 30 with the coppers and a tonne of gardens.

I think these questions remain pretty stable with the addition of intrigue and seaside (the ones I own physically). All you need to know is "how much value is the card I'm giving them" and that's mainly effected by effective trashing and the stability of an engine, later expansions send more buys floating around, so that becomes way less important.

If both hunting grounds and council room are available. Hunting grounds is far more viable to draw your deck, but you will still want a council room for the buy. (Terminal drawing with +1 Buy is not to be sniffed at)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 08:16:03 am »

In a game with Council Room and Hunting Grounds, I think I'm taking a single Council Room as it is $5, and as it provides a +buy. After that, I easily have the draw to get Hunting Grounds or whatever.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 08:41:22 am »

In a game with Council Room and Hunting Grounds, I think I'm taking a single Council Room as it is $5, and as it provides a +buy. After that, I easily have the draw to get Hunting Grounds or whatever.

In a game with nothing but Council Room and Hunting Grounds, sure, I'd play Council Room big money too. In a game with other cards, it is highly dependent on what those cards are and if there's something else that you want at $5, you probably want to go for that rather than Council Room.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 08:47:22 am »
+4

In a game with nothing but Council Room and Hunting Grounds, sure, I'd play Council Room big money too. In a game with other cards, it is highly dependent on what those cards are and if there's something else that you want at $5, you probably want to go for that rather than Council Room.

Are you my brother or something? Do I have to say exactly everything like a lawyer or else you'll find some loophole when it's clearly obvious for everybody else what I meant? :(
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 08:55:27 am »
+3

Are you my brother or something? Do I have to say exactly everything like a lawyer or else you'll find some loophole when it's clearly obvious for everybody else what I meant? :(

Relevant quotes

Like, for example, go smash your head against the wall.  It is, very likely, far more enjoyable than talking with Awaclus.

So, you are verifying once and for all what an incredible waste of time it is for anyone to try to argue about this with you.

and oh fuck it why do I even bother talking this is just going to get a pointless response to lead to more pointlessness.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 09:15:07 am »

I'm interested in hearing what did you mean by "In a game with Council Room and Hunting Grounds" that is not covered by "In a game with nothing but Council Room and Hunting Grounds" and "In a game with other cards".

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 09:59:10 am »

But I quoted you, when you stated that (paraphrased) "in a game with both Council Room and Hunting Grounds, you'd just get Hunting Grounds." Whatever, It's not worth continuing on over. It just seemed logical, I guess it wasn't.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 10:07:58 am »

But I quoted you, when you stated that (paraphrased) "in a game with both Council Room and Hunting Grounds, you'd just get Hunting Grounds." Whatever, It's not worth continuing on over. It just seemed logical, I guess it wasn't.

No. I stated that (paraphrased) "in a game with 9 kingdom cards that are not Council Room or Hunting Grounds and some of them being good engine payload cards, I'd rather have the 10th card be Hunting Grounds than Council Room".
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:09:04 am by Awaclus »

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.