Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Usurp the Throne: Event/Variant  (Read 2507 times)

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Usurp the Throne: Event/Variant
« on: April 04, 2016, 09:43:45 pm »
+4

The idea is that the Throne token moves around the Action cards every turn in a predictable order - say the order you lay the cards out in, from smallest to largest cost. When you play a card from the pile with the Throne token, it's like you played it with a Throne room. You can buy the event to move the token (and with +buy, you can move it several spaces in one turn), presumably to get it to land on an important card during your turn or to prevent opponents from having it on the piles beneficial to them.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Usurp the Throne: Event/Variant
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 10:31:43 pm »
+1

I like the name and the concept, but you might want to give an official ruling on the way the Throne moves. By cost? Alphabetically by the card's name? Truly randomly (rolling a 10 sided die?)
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 10:34:36 pm »

It's definitely a fixed order - not random. I'd do it by cost (then alphabetical for tie-breakers), but that was too many words for the card so I just said "determine an order". I'm open to better wording.

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 08:00:55 am »

I wonder if this concept would work as a nonterminal Action that moves the token to an Action supply pile of your choice. As written the token is very unlikely to be on the supply pile you prefer.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 10:44:13 am »
+1

Is there a reason that it won't work for Kingdom Treasures? Throning Treasures is obviously a thing, because of Counterfeit. I don't see how putting the Throne token on say, Venture would be any better or worse than putting it on Rabble or Laboratory.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 10:53:21 am »
+1

Is there a reason that it won't work for Kingdom Treasures? Throning Treasures is obviously a thing, because of Counterfeit. I don't see how putting the Throne token on say, Venture would be any better or worse than putting it on Rabble or Laboratory.

Well the wording becomes awkward since you need to exclude victory cards. If you say "non-victory supply pile", then you lose the ability to use it on Action-Victory cards. You could say "Action or Treasure supply pile", but that's just more words. Also, that adds 3 more piles that it needs to cycle through; plus having it work on cards like Copper may be a downside. If you want to exclude Copper, but include Bank, you'd have to say something like "Action or Treasure Kingdom piles"... which could technically work. But "action supply pile" is just cleaner.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 11:42:44 am »

I tried doing that with some other events that I've proposed ( http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14986.msg580477#msg580477 ), but apparently people don't know what it means when you say "Kingdom pile". I guess Plan and Inheritance were originally worded that way, but they had to change it to "Action supply pile" so that people would understand it can't go on Gold, Province, etc.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 09:42:14 am »
+1

Too little control for my taste. Just make the player able to choose the pile. Events happen at the end of the turn so other players can profit and if a pile is Usurped of which only/mainly the player who bought the Event has a lot the other players can still undo the choice for 1 coin.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:31:35 am »

Too little control for my taste. Just make the player able to choose the pile. Events happen at the end of the turn so other players can profit and if a pile is Usurped of which only/mainly the player who bought the Event has a lot the other players can still undo the choice for 1 coin.

Yes, I think that could work too, but if you can move it anywhere, I think maybe it'd need to cost a little more. Not a lot more, maybe $2?

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 11:14:40 am »

Yes, I think that could work too, but if you can move it anywhere, I think maybe it'd need to cost a little more. Not a lot more, maybe $2?
I don't know but I guess that 1$ is more appropriate. You could easily help your opponents if they happen to play a card of the pile which you just usurped and until it is your turn the Throne token could have been moved again.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.