Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Rock-Paper-Scissors type of game  (Read 2542 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
A Rock-Paper-Scissors type of game
« on: January 20, 2012, 05:55:39 pm »

Hi,

I'd like to ask you for some advice for this last game I played. It really got me thinking and is one of the most fun games I played.
Finally I've lost by 1 point. Both me and my opponent admitted, we had no idea how to play this ideally because of the RPS-like situation on that board.

Here's the log.

My coments:
Supply: Golem, Governor, Hunting Party, Moneylender, Nobles, Potion, Remake, Scheme, Tactician, Worker's Village, and Young Witch ( Embargo♦ )

The board has some really interesting strategies. Govenor, Hunting Party and Tactician are some really strong $5, Young Witch is a really good $4 with a really bad bane.
Then there's Nobles for some extra points and added flexibility and Scheme for supporting each strategy.

He openend Young Witch and I had a 2/5 start. I don't know if that's right, but thought that Govenor is bad against Young Witch and Hunting Party the better choice. But if go for Hunting Party I need many of them and then I have fear of Embargo. So I took the Embargo and he took Scheme. With him opening Young Witch I decided to open Remake and delay my strategy planning.
In turn 3 he had $5 and took Govenor and I had a Embargo in hand and $5 too. So I decided to embargo his Govenor and take the Hunting Party now. I knew he wouldn't buy more now and he would give me more Silver. With one added Gold I could build up a good Hunting Party deck.
In turn 4 we both picked up a Embargo.
In turn 5 I picked up my second Hunting Party and he bought a Tactician in turn 6 and embargoed my Hunting Parties.
I embargoed the Tactician immediately and bought a Young Witch. You see the action-reaction?
I turn 8 he picked up the first Nobles and I my first Gold.
Now it was a back and forth with him being in the lead (more Nobles and Provinces, but I was able to catch up.
In turn 19 with 2 Provinces left he buyed Double-Duchy for a 3-point lead and put Nobles, Scheme and a Tactician back.
So I decided to break PPR, as I was pretty sure he couldn' buy a Province next turn. I buyed Province and Estate for a 4-point-lead.
He couldn't buy it and played the Tactician. But I couldn't too and buyed another Estate. His Tactician turn worked out perfectly for exactly $8, the last Province and a 1-point-lead win.

My questions:
How would you have opened with 2/5 after his YW/Scheme opening? Would you have directly bought Govenor/Hunting Party or a Tactician? Was my Remake the wrong decision?
After my Hunting Parties got embargoed I switched to Young Witch. Would you have kept buying Hunting Parties beside getting the Curses because of my Remake?

Empathy

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
Re: A Rock-Paper-Scissors type of game
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 08:41:17 pm »

with a 5/2 opening, going as p2, I would go embargo/tact, then asap get a remake.

Keep buying a few embargoes and remakes, flooding the 5s with counters (first HP, then tact, then governor). It'll slow down the YW.

The idea is to keep your deck pretty small (less than 10 cards), maybe leave one unplayed embargo as a pseudo-moat. Curses should be remade very quickly.

Try to get a bunch of remakes, maybe 1-2 worker's village. You opponent shipping you silvers should help a lot, silver being a great remake target.

Once the game is nicely slowed down and your deck suitably thin, remake all your 4s into governors, and that should give you a consistent double tactician engine.

You still probably have pretty bad odds, but YW/scheme with such an awful bane is pretty hard. Going second makes it worse.

barsooma

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:08:36 pm »

Not sure what my overall strat would have been here but a couple comments:

1) Hunting party is a pretty weak opener, going up against a curser doubly so. I'd probably have gone with tactician, or even dropped to $4 for a YW.

2) What were you hoping to accomplish by embargoing tactician? He already had one, you didn't - with his strategy one is plenty and even if he wanted another one curse is hardly going to be a disincentive.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 06:20:39 am »

You possibly needed to remake more often, including a remake of your young witch into the extra hunting party. There was enough treasure in your deck you just needed to draw it regularly.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:04:02 am »

Hm, it seems you also would have trouble find the right strategy.
I agree with Empathy, opening Tactician would be best and then later get the Remake.
Thanks for all your advices.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.