Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss... Adventures!  (Read 34392 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss... Adventures!
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:14:21 am »
+7

So we've gotten through all the individual cards!  And the set is currently in a beta of sorts on Dominion Online, and should release soon.  With that in mind:

-How does this set compare to other sets?
-What are your favorite cards?
-Which cards will impact games the most?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

papadjango

• Baron
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss... Adventures!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 09:37:44 am »
+2

For me it's the best expansion, even in front of the beloved "seasides".
I really like to play giant and wine merchant, still don't know what to do with messenger.
And clever use of events often made the game. Inheritage for instance is great and really a new trick.
The greatest impact in our plays had the Champion-card. Who got it first, won. Despite the teacher, (the other final traveller) which alwas seems much too slow to have an impact on the game.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 09:53:24 am »
+1

One thing I've noticed from watching the beta online is that Adventures really adds a lot more decisions to the start of your turn. So now, what order you call your reserves and resolve your durations in really matters, which will take people a while to get used to. I hadn't really noticed this IRL, because I'm always choosing what order I do things in, even if it's something like "do I draw my Wharf cards or my Caravan card first?" But now there are things like Guide and Amulet, where the order you do things in affects your turn later. So all in all, I think I've learned that Adventures breaks more from the traditional "ABC" of Dominion more than I thought.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 09:57:53 am »

More so than new cards, this set offers new mechanics.

And I do love new mechanics. Indeed, the set offers a lot of choice and as we say in capitalism: More choice = more freedom!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 11:03:01 am »

Adventures is awesome.  I'm just sad that my gaming group don't play Dominion with me as much any more because I haven't yet had a chance to play enough Adventures to satisfy me.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 11:37:57 am »

Dark Ages is still easily my favorite set, but Adventures is a lot of fun, and it will take a long time to redefine 'optimal' plays for Adventures cards and events in tandem with the older cards. Borrow is a game changer in itself, events are a game changer, Haunted Woods is a great draw card and attack, etc. Apparently, Treasure Trove is just a complete game changer, so Big Money even gets a nice competitive boost.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 02:41:59 pm »
+1

So all in all, I think I've learned that Adventures breaks more from the traditional "ABC" of Dominion more than I thought.

Any time I teach someone Dominion I explain, "for every rule I teach you there's at least one card that breaks it." Now with Adventures it's basically "SABC" for turn order.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 03:54:51 pm »

So all in all, I think I've learned that Adventures breaks more from the traditional "ABC" of Dominion more than I thought.

Any time I teach someone Dominion I explain, "for every rule I teach you there's at least one card that breaks it." Now with Adventures it's basically "SABC" for turn order.

S?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 04:03:09 pm »
+1

S?

Presumably Start of your turn.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 04:16:51 pm »
+6

Adventures is by far my favorite expansion. I will admit I was not a fan of DA at first. It grew on me. I do like the combos that expansion offered but a lot of cards seemed mediocre or weird. For instance Death Cart and Poor House are rarely viable. Mystic is okay, but not great. Pillage is often not all that great. You then have cards like Cultist.

Now, with Adventures we have cards that really warp the game, but in a more positive way that adds a lot more decision making. This expansion is pretty complex and on top of that adds more cards than any set in history before it, so figuring it out is a challenge. Page and Peasant change the game so much. Also, many of the Events are pretty game breaking. I just played a game on the Development Build where Pathfinding and Training were available and the best target was Vagrant. I literally won the game playing a bunch of Vagrants each turn.

It should also be noted that events make strong cards stronger, but as mentioned above, even weak cards can become strong all of sudden. It should also be of note that the set has very little duds, even the weak cards aren't all that weak. I think the only two cards I don't give too much thought about are Miser and Messenger. And, hey, on some boards you need some sort of trashing or +Buy. Although, Messenger does also add a small amount of pile control.

Overall, Adventures changes the game, dramatically...much more so than DA. This is not really a strike against it. More combos are possible, and now, there are so many decisions. Just adding two events offers a lot more choices. Then, add a Peasant or a Page line and now you're asking yourself "do I open this or get a second trasher?" Though choices arise in Adventures heavy games and then you have Reserves and then you have to ask when it is the right time to call stuff back into play.

For people who don't like to think as much while playing Dominion, this set might be too much. For people who wanted a more complex version of Dominion, Adventures is the set for you.

And, to think, Empires is just around the corner...at least irl.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 04:23:13 pm »
+4

Adventures is by far my favorite expansion.

Would you say it is awesome?  Or is it ..... beyond awesome?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 05:34:19 pm »

Adventures is by far my favorite expansion.

Would you say it is awesome?  Or is it ..... beyond awesome?

Definitely beyond awesome.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 06:27:20 pm »
+2

So its . . . awe-all instead of awe-some?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 06:33:23 pm »

Pillage is often not all that great.

I disagree. If you can play a Pillage a turn, your opponent is going to straight out get wrecked. Losing a single card a turn that you get to pick is just so devastating.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 06:35:54 pm »

I disagree. If you can play a Pillage a turn, your opponent is going to straight out get wrecked. Losing a single card a turn that you get to pick is just so devastating.

I said it is often not that great. Usually, it's pretty hard to play Pillage every turn.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 06:42:33 pm »

I said it is often not that great. Usually, it's pretty hard to play Pillage every turn.

Well, it's not so hard to play a Pillage every turn. It's just not worth it very often, because it costs a +buy and those are often pretty limited and also needed for other things.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 08:19:50 pm »
+4

That was awe-full
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 08:48:55 pm »
+1

That was awe-full

Awe, you didn't like my joke?  :P

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 12:05:24 am »
+1

Least favourite set by far, it just isn't Dominion to me.  One reason (among many, to be fair) I haven't bought anything on Dominion Online is probably having to play with Adventures when it comes out.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 08:13:57 am »
+1

I don't like Adventures.

Far too many cards have arbitrarily large effects to ensure that they get used (+3 Cards, +$3 on Haunted Woods\Swamp Hag; gain Gold with Treasure Trove which is itself a Silver; just Gear; trash multiple cards with Warrior; Distant Lands doesn't occupy space in your deck and is worth 4VP; Duplicate copies cards costing up to $6, often acting similarly to Distant Lands in its ability to gain Duchies). The vanilla bonus tokens were a terrible idea that commonly homogenize strategy by encouraging players to piledrive whatever they Train\Lost Art\Pathfind--as though Dominion didn't already have some issues with monolithic card strategies.

I don't believe that many cards are necessarily ridiculous (only the Page line and Gear are stupid), but I feel like a lot of subtlety is lost in Adventures.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 08:29:59 am »
+6

I don't like Adventures.

Far too many cards have arbitrarily large effects to ensure that they get used (+3 Cards, +$3 on Haunted Woods\Swamp Hag; gain Gold with Treasure Trove which is itself a Silver; just Gear; trash multiple cards with Warrior; Distant Lands doesn't occupy space in your deck and is worth 4VP; Duplicate copies cards costing up to $6, often acting similarly to Distant Lands in its ability to gain Duchies). The vanilla bonus tokens were a terrible idea that commonly homogenize strategy by encouraging players to piledrive whatever they Train\Lost Art\Pathfind--as though Dominion didn't already have some issues with monolithic card strategies.

I don't believe that many cards are necessarily ridiculous (only the Page line and Gear are stupid), but I feel like a lot of subtlety is lost in Adventures.

Does Smithy also have an arbitrarily large effect to ensure that it gets used?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 09:01:59 am »
+6

I don't like Adventures.

Arbitrarily large to ensure they get used?  Dude, that's the whole point of card testing and balancing.  Haunted Woods and Swamp Hag have such large bonuses on your next turn because they do nothing on the turn they are played, which some players think actually makes them weaker than you seem to be suggesting.  The whole POINT of Treasure Trove is to just flood your deck with Treasures - the decision to have you gain a Gold and a Copper doesn't seem arbitrary at all.  Distant Lands only gives you points if you actually manage to play it, which makes it worse than a Duchy to buy on your last turn.  Duplicate is able to gain more expensive cards because it's a) slower than other gainers and b) requires that you actually have the funds to buy the card you'd be gaining in the first place.  And the bonus tokens actually make less-used cards, such as cheap cantrips, more viable, which actually adds variety to strategies.  The only thing I can agree with is Warrior - I really don't understand why there's a "for each Traveller you have in play" clause there.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 09:04:26 am »
+6

My impression is that Adventures suffers of power creep about to the same degree as Seaside. The set has very few situational cards, and many Kingdom-definers. The good thing is that most of Adventures' powerhouses leave a lot of space to build different decks, since they are either very non-terminal (Treasure Trove, some reserves); or they do only one thing, albeit very well (Champion, token events).
With the possible exception of Gear-BM, I don't really see a problem with the power of Adventures cards, since they are no Cultists, and everybody loves their Wharf.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 09:12:29 am »
+3

My impression is that Adventures suffers of power creep about to the same degree as Seaside. The set has very few situational cards, and many Kingdom-definers. The good thing is that most of Adventures' powerhouses leave a lot of space to build different decks, since they are either very non-terminal (Treasure Trove, some reserves); or they do only one thing, albeit very well (Champion, token events).
With the possible exception of Gear-BM, I don't really see a problem with the power of Adventures cards, since they are no Cultists, and everybody loves their Wharf.

I don't think that power creep is a thing in Dominion. Even if cards get more powerful over time, it's not inherently an issue because you don't have to buy the latest expansion just so that you can be competitive against your opponent who has it.

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 09:24:02 am »
+4

I very much like the cards in the set. Most of them bring several interesting strategies to the game.

But I am not a big fan of all these tokens. I think its too much of them. Would have been nice if they were easier distinguishable from each other and made of metal or plastic. I like the metal tokens from previous sets. I know that cardboard is much cheaper, but I would have gladly paid a few bucks more for quality tokens.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.