Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Idea based on Storyteller  (Read 2596 times)

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Idea based on Storyteller
« on: March 27, 2016, 07:20:29 pm »

Been playing Adventures more recently and thinking about the 'pay' mechanism. What do you think of something like

Action -- $6

+$1
+1 Buy
Pay up to 4 Actions (Actions, not Action Cards), +$1 per Action paid.

Basically, an Action version of Diadem. It has to be worth it if there are no villages on the board, so I'm not sure of the other benefits to the card, or if it should cost $5 or $6 -- if it's too cheap, it'll get too cwazy on Champion boards, etc, if it's too expensive, well, it's a ridiculously expensive Herbalist if you have no actions remaining. Maybe paying this many actions is rather niche, and it could even cost $4.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Idea based on Storyteller
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:32:20 pm »

What if there was a card that you had to pay to use by using up Action cards?

Burn thing
$5 - Action

+2 Cards
You may trash any Action cards in hand. For every action card trashed, +$2.

When you gain this, gain an Action card costing up to $3.

Probably not a great card.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 10:06:59 pm »

That's kind of like Death Cart.

I'm thinking of more of using resources to trade for others. We have Storyteller, that converts coins into cards, and Travelling Fair, which in a sense converts coins into buys. It would be neat to use up surplus actions for something.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 10:24:04 pm »

There could be a card that spends Victory Point chips or Coin Tokens for draw.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 01:27:10 am »
+1

That's kind of like Death Cart.

I'm thinking of more of using resources to trade for others. We have Storyteller, that converts coins into cards, and Travelling Fair, which in a sense converts coins into buys. It would be neat to use up surplus actions for something.

All Action cards convert surplus actions into other effects!

And Diadem exists to convert multiple surplus actions.  It's worth noting the Secret Histories for it:

Diadem started in the large version of Alchemy long ago, as an Action: "+$2. Return this to your hand." It was a cute combo with Villages, but useless without them. I then tried some "choose one" versions, which solved the problem of it sometimes being dead, but didn't make the actions-to-money part any better. I eventually gave up on it, and well here it is at last.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 06:13:32 pm »

Been playing Adventures more recently and thinking about the 'pay' mechanism. What do you think of something like

Action -- $6

+$1
+1 Buy

Basically, an Action version of Diadem. It has to be worth it if there are no villages on the board, so I'm not sure of the other benefits to the card, or if it should cost $5 or $6 -- if it's too cheap, it'll get too cwazy on Champion boards, etc, if it's too expensive, well, it's a ridiculously expensive Herbalist if you have no actions remaining. Maybe paying this many actions is rather niche, and it could even cost $4.
Not a fan but I like the more general underlying idea of converting vanilla stuff into each other.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 02:52:59 am »

Action -- $6

+$1
+1 Buy

Not a fan but I like the more general underlying idea of converting vanilla stuff into each other.

That could maybe be turned into a theme or, more likely, sub-theme for a fan set.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 04:45:21 am »

See also this thread.

I agree that the Diadem effect is too niche, but there are definitely more things to try out here.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 09:37:31 am »

We already have discard but negative actions, buys and coins (I use a 4$ +5Cards -3Coins card) are novel.
The former two are more radical though. You always have cards and some coins but not always more than one buy or action.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.