Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 2976 times)

• Pawn
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Greetings!
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:55:24 pm »
+11

Hi, I'm new!

I just started playing Dominion maybe two weeks ago? Naturally, my competitive side came out and I started doing research. This forum looked more interactive than the wiki, so I made an account immediately. I've been warned against Forum Games, but does anyone have any useful pages I should check out? I've only been playing with the base cards.

Thanks! Hopefully this community isn't too ferocious on new users. 

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 08:05:05 pm »
+4

Warned against the forum games?  That's not how it works here!  You should check out the forum games!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 08:19:02 pm »

Hi, I'm new!

I just started playing Dominion maybe two weeks ago? Naturally, my competitive side came out and I started doing research. This forum looked more interactive than the wiki, so I made an account immediately. I've been warned against Forum Games, but does anyone have any useful pages I should check out? I've only been playing with the base cards.

Thanks! Hopefully this community isn't too ferocious on new users.

I could give you a noogie

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 09:20:43 am »

Definitely check out the articles linked on the main blog. A lot of the recent articles are written with the expansions in mind, but not everything.

Be sure to check out this article on the "first game" kingdom. (Be sure to click through the links to the forum threads with michaeljb's solution to the simulation challenge).

http://dominionstrategy.com/2012/07/30/building-the-first-game-engine/

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 09:25:07 am »
+1

... But don't read too much up front. Dominion is a lot more fun when you discover things by playing with your friends.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 10:24:20 am »

The best way to learn is to get #rekt by some really good player on here while on Skype or something like that. Nothing like experience, and the good player can tell you what you did wrong and what to look for and all that.

Don't get too competitive though. You'll never really learn if you don't have fun.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 05:17:01 pm »

Welcome to the forums!

Picking up where Seprix left off. I'm by no means a good player, but if you want, we could play some friendly games sometimes. I love rediscovering old expansions, so we could work ourselves through the cards from the Base Set and eventually throw in more cards. I don't have a super-crazy amount of spare time to spend on Dominion, but if you're interested, I'm sure we could set something up.

As far as the ferocity of the forum goes, I - as a newbie - can vouch that everyone here is really friendly. The only thing that can get you into trouble is declaring that King's Court is far more skippable than everyone thinks. And I guess you won't do that, if you have only been playing for two weeks.
Join Team Rocket!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 05:34:12 pm »
+3

As far as the ferocity of the forum goes, I - as a newbie - can vouch that everyone here is really friendly. The only thing that can get you into trouble is declaring that King's Court is far more skippable than everyone thinks. And I guess you won't do that, if you have only been playing for two weeks.

It's not that making a controversial statement regarding Dominion Strategy will get you into trouble, there are just going to be people who disagree. You get into trouble when you can't handle the fact that some people might disagree with you.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 05:58:19 pm »
+1

It's not that making a controversial statement regarding Dominion Strategy will get you into trouble, there are just going to be people who disagree. You get into trouble when you can't handle the fact that some people might disagree with you.
That was my cue!

Welcome! We encourage controversial statements, as they create new and exciting discussion! Even if you may be unfamiliar with the card Scout, you could make a controversial statement and say Scout was bad. You'd be wrong, but the community wouldn't react poorly.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 06:02:41 pm »

That was my cue!

Welcome! We encourage controversial statements, as they create new and exciting discussion! Even if you may be unfamiliar with the card Scout, you could make a controversial statement and say Scout was bad. You'd be wrong, but the community wouldn't react poorly.

Ruined Village is also a very good card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 06:49:30 pm »

Ruined Village is also a very good card.

Edgecase: not so when Colonies and Duchesses are both in the kingdom.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 20 queries.