Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Trends  (Read 14835 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Trends
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 06:02:07 pm »
+1

I would count Nobles. I would not 100% not count Tactician; it adds up to +1 Action, since it uses up your Action when you play it. I would say that Dark Ages having 6 villages is a stretch; Ironmonger is a little more reliable than Tribute, but not actually a village, and Procession is very difficult to get to work in a village capacity. So maybe 5 villages in Dark Ages.

Once you make those changes, the proportion of games without villages has been rising, but not by a lot. With just the base set it was almost 1 in 5 games, and now it's almost 1 in 4 games.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:03:29 pm by LastFootnote »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 07:19:20 pm »
+2

If Lost Arts is the only event that qualifies as +Actions, you just need to know the chance that Lost Arts shows up in a given Kingdom. Assuming 10 cards kingdoms and no limit on the number of events used in a kingdom, the answer is just 10 / # of Kingdom cards you have to choose from. This is the chance that an otherwise +Action-less Kingdom gets changed to effectively being a +Actions Kingdom by Lost Arts.
Perhaps, but I think you're forgetting one of the major contributing factors - I'm lazy.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 03:48:51 am »

There's also Necropolis. Sometimes that's all the villages you need.
Great Prince target, amiright? ;)

I mean, you start every turn with 3 actions!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 06:31:31 am »
+4

There's also Necropolis. Sometimes that's all the villages you need.
Great Prince target, amiright? ;)

I mean, you start every turn with 3 actions!
It's a perfectly reasonable Prince target; it's never going to backfire on you, and it makes it less likely that your turn will fail due to lack of +Action. Princing a Necropolis is never something I'll be excited about, but I'll happily do it in the absence of a better Prince target.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 08:50:49 am »
+1

If you are still making cool trend graphs, it would be cool if you could make graphs for each price point of the dominion card rankings and see the average rank / percentile of each expansion, or something like that. That's probably the most direct way to get to popular perception of strength of set.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 12:59:43 am »

As more and more Dominion cards get released, I'm finding more and more often there will only be one or zero villages most MF games in random sets, just due to the vast amount of cards.
Since the fraction of cards which are villages has been slightly increasing. this cannot be correct. As in, there's no way you're seeing fewer villages because more sets have been released.

He didn't say he was seeing fewer villages on average. He said he's seeing more games with no villages. That is absolutely a result of a larger card pool.
This is only because we choose kingdom cards without replacement, which is such a negligible effect after a couple sets that it is overwhelmed by the slight variation in overall proportion, as ConMan demonstrates.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:00:56 am by liopoil »

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2016, 05:20:07 pm »
+2

As more and more Dominion cards get released, I'm finding more and more often there will only be one or zero villages most MF games in random sets, just due to the vast amount of cards.

I almost never play random kingdoms. When I get a new expansion (I play almost exclusively IRL) I play the recommended kingdoms, and then create kingdoms of my own. It takes more time, but it's more rewarding and I don't get stupid or screwed up kingdoms.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2016, 05:27:52 pm »

I almost never play random kingdoms. When I get a new expansion (I play almost exclusively IRL) I play the recommended kingdoms, and then create kingdoms of my own. It takes more time, but it's more rewarding and I don't get stupid or screwed up kingdoms.

I find getting screwed up kingdoms are the best way to play. That way, you have to go out and make something work. It's so much more rewarding when you pull something off. Constructed kingdoms are great too, but nothing really beats a random combo I had to make up on my own.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2016, 05:31:38 pm »

True, I guess I just prefer the challenge of coming up with combos while making the kingdom then while playing it. Plus, as soon as I forget how to beat them, I'll take all the kingdoms I have written down and play them again. My problem with random kingdoms is it seems to boil down to: Go for the power cards + a support card. In most cases, there will not be a normally weak card which counters a power card effectively.

I find getting screwed up kingdoms are the best way to play. That way, you have to go out and make something work. It's so much more rewarding when you pull something off. Constructed kingdoms are great too, but nothing really beats a random combo I had to make up on my own.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2016, 07:22:44 pm »

This was a fun one.  This shows the percentage of any card art (so randomizers, non-supply cards, and Events) that has primarily (1) females on it, or (2) males on it, or (3) neither/both/I couldn't tell.  I used my eyes to determine this and didn't look on any rulebooks or anything, so I may have gotten some of it wrong.  But I did my best.

DX, we need more chicas!!  And I now see why the Dark Ages were so dark :P

I did this count, pretty carefully: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12971.0
Update for Adventures: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12971.msg486478#msg486478
(Summon not included.)

I think you are a little off some places. For instance Alchemy has about 33% female art. (I only exclude cards where it's neither or unclear.)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2016, 08:19:47 pm »

This was a fun one.  This shows the percentage of any card art (so randomizers, non-supply cards, and Events) that has primarily (1) females on it, or (2) males on it, or (3) neither/both/I couldn't tell.  I used my eyes to determine this and didn't look on any rulebooks or anything, so I may have gotten some of it wrong.  But I did my best.

DX, we need more chicas!!  And I now see why the Dark Ages were so dark :P

I did this count, pretty carefully: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12971.0
Update for Adventures: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12971.msg486478#msg486478
(Summon not included.)

I think you are a little off some places. For instance Alchemy has about 33% female art. (I only exclude cards where it's neither or unclear.)

I included neither/unclear in the percentages.  So for example:

Female: Scrying Pool, Possession
Male: Apprentice, Transmute, Apothecary, Alchemist, Familiar, Golem
Both/neither/couldn't tell: Herbalist, Vineyard, University, Philosopher's Stone

Female: 2/12 = 17%
Male: 6/12 = 50%
Both/neither/couldn't tell: 4/12 = 33%

Looking back at my chart, I think I counted Possession as a male, which would be wrong.  But I sort of don't feel like going back and correcting minor things like this.  Maybe I will some day if I ever get around to it.  Do you notice any other major discrepancies?

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2016, 06:56:59 pm »

I included neither/unclear in the percentages.  So for example:

Female: Scrying Pool, Possession
Male: Apprentice, Transmute, Apothecary, Alchemist, Familiar, Golem
Both/neither/couldn't tell: Herbalist, Vineyard, University, Philosopher's Stone

Female: 2/12 = 17%
Male: 6/12 = 50%
Both/neither/couldn't tell: 4/12 = 33%

Looking back at my chart, I think I counted Possession as a male, which would be wrong.  But I sort of don't feel like going back and correcting minor things like this.  Maybe I will some day if I ever get around to it.  Do you notice any other major discrepancies?

Possession is a woman, yes. I also had Apprentice and Familiar as unknown.

When I said that Alchemy is off, I just looked at the proportion of male vs. female in your chart, ignoring the grey column, since I don't count neither/unclear.

Another general difference is that I counted "both" as 50% male 50% female. I really think this is the most correct way of counting. This could account for a lot of the differences. In Base I have 18% female while you seem to have 2 or 3%. In Intrigue I have 17% female while you seem to have like 8%. In Prosperity I have 32% while you seem to have like 15%... You seem to have zero female cards in Dark Ages, while in fact there are 2 (plus 3 - including Knights - that are both).

Adventures is way off. I have 39% female cards, you seem to have 25%. Even if totally excluding the "both" cards, it should be 37%.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.