Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thrown Room Variant + Duration  (Read 3873 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Thrown Room Variant + Duration
« on: March 24, 2016, 02:01:19 pm »
+1

When I Throne Room a Caravan, why does the TR stay out?  I played the Caravan twice; the Caravan says nothing about TR.  And also, when I TR_1-TR_2-Caravan-Smithy, why does the TR_2 (or the TR_1) not stay out?  Or does MF just have this wrong?

And if the TR is supposed to stay out with the Caravan, why does the TR not "stay" with an Island?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Thrown Room Variant + Duration
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 02:13:15 pm »
+2

When I Throne Room a Caravan, why does the TR stay out?  I played the Caravan twice; the Caravan says nothing about TR.  And also, when I TR_1-TR_2-Caravan-Smithy, why does the TR_2 (or the TR_1) not stay out?  Or does MF just have this wrong?

And if the TR is supposed to stay out with the Caravan, why does the TR not "stay" with an Island?

It stays out with the duration to remind you that you double the effect.

TR doesn't double the value of Island, Island itself is only worth 2 VP. TR doesn't stay with an Island because it is not a duration.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 02:46:27 pm »
+1

When I Throne Room a Caravan, why does the TR stay out?  I played the Caravan twice; the Caravan says nothing about TR.

I don't know if you'll find Seprix's answer more satisfying than my answer, but my answer is: the rule book says so.

And also, when I TR_1-TR_2-Caravan-Smithy, why does the TR_2 (or the TR_1) not stay out?  Or does MF just have this wrong?

TR_2 was used to play a Duration card, so it stays out. TR_1 was used to play a Throne Room, which is not a Duration card, so it doesn't stay out.

Because Island isn't a Duration card.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 02:56:22 pm »
+2

(To clarify, the rule book says "If you play or modify a Duration card with another card, that other card also stays in your play area" and then uses Throne Room as an example.)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 03:07:35 pm »
+1

I guess "because the rulebook says so" isn't incredibly satisfying, but I'll have to go with it.  Leaving it out as a reminder actually makes sense though cus I can see how that would be easy to forget IRL.

About the TR_2 staying out.. I thought it didn't.  Maybe I'm mistaken.

EDIT: If the TR_2 does stay out, and it was played on 2 different Durations, which one does it go "next to"?  I doubt it matters -- as it would be applied on both.  Just curious I guess.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:09:28 pm by Dingan »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 04:51:59 pm »

I guess "because the rulebook says so" isn't incredibly satisfying, but I'll have to go with it.  Leaving it out as a reminder actually makes sense though cus I can see how that would be easy to forget IRL.

About the TR_2 staying out.. I thought it didn't.  Maybe I'm mistaken.

EDIT: If the TR_2 does stay out, and it was played on 2 different Durations, which one does it go "next to"?  I doubt it matters -- as it would be applied on both.  Just curious I guess.

TR2 stays out because it was used to play a Duration.  If it was used to play two Durations, just overlay them both on top of the TR.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 03:21:12 pm »

I guess that one could make an argument that TR stays out because it is still doing something next turn in the sense the Duration is doing something. It doesn't play anything and doesn't add any effect you wouldn't have if it was discarded (as with Processioned Durations), but it "does" something. Island doesn't do anything later. Which makes me wonder, what exactly happens if you TR Prince?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 04:05:54 pm »

I guess that one could make an argument that TR stays out because it is still doing something next turn in the sense the Duration is doing something. It doesn't play anything and doesn't add any effect you wouldn't have if it was discarded (as with Processioned Durations), but it "does" something. Island doesn't do anything later. Which makes me wonder, what exactly happens if you TR Prince?

Well Prince is not a Duration, so Throne Room itself wouldn't do anything special; it would be discarded at the end of the turn. The Prince itself would act just as if it had only be played once. This is because at the very start, it has an "if you do", and the second time you play Prince, you fail to set it aside because it's already set aside.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 05:25:35 pm »

Well Prince is not a Duration, so Throne Room itself wouldn't do anything special; it would be discarded at the end of the turn. The Prince itself would act just as if it had only be played once. This is because at the very start, it has an "if you do", and the second time you play Prince, you fail to set it aside because it's already set aside.

It's not a Duration, but it does something on future turns, right? Huh, i guess the "if you do" means TR has an effect right now (resolving the card a second time) but does nothing next turn, so it should get discarded - like when you TR a Tactician.
I really would hope the duration type has nothing to do with it.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 06:22:41 pm »
+2

Eh?

There are literally only two situations where the rule book allows you to not clean up a card in play at the end of your turn: (1) if it's a Duration card or (2) if it's a Throne Room variant that was used on a Duration card. The Duration type has everything to do with it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 10:33:46 pm »
+2

Eh?

There are literally only two situations where the rule book allows you to not clean up a card in play at the end of your turn: (1) if it's a Duration card or (2) if it's a Throne Room variant that was used on a Duration card. The Duration type has everything to do with it.

Yes, this. Unlike "Attack" or "Reserve", "Duration" is more than just a type that reminds you of timing or allows other cards to refer to it. It has an actual rule in the Seaside and Adventures rulebooks that changes the normal behavior of cards. Duration cards are not discarded from play until the turn that they are done having an effect. This isn't true of normal cards. Possession, for example, has an effect on the next turn, but it is discarded at the end of the turn it is played.

Prince isn't held back from discarding because it is doing stuff on future turns. It is held back from discarding because it isn't in play during your cleanup phase (normally), and the cleanup phase only discards cards that are in play. Similarly, a card set aside by Haven or Gear isn't discarded from play because it isn't in play; not because it will do something next turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 10:51:06 pm »

Thanks for pointing out Possession as a counter example. I forgot about it and thought that every card that does something on a later turn (or at least those that are not Prince) was a Duration and the type was just redundant information. I was wrong there.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 10:56:48 pm »
+2

Sidenote: MakingFun lists cards that do something at the beginning of your turn as a duration: this includes Horse Traders and Prince, I believe.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 06:48:47 pm »

Sidenote: MakingFun lists cards that do something at the beginning of your turn as a duration: this includes Horse Traders and Prince, I believe.

And I guess we'll have a lot of new "durations" with the Reserve cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.