Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Today I Learned...  (Read 11746 times)

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
Today I Learned...
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:23:09 pm »
+6

Develop doesn't just trash a card and gain you two cards, one costing one extra and one costing one less, but it also topdecks the two cards

A little perspective:  I don't own Hinterlands IRL, but I do have the online cards and have played some 783 online games, not including playing through the Hinterlands campaign.  Several of those games have obviously had Develop in them, and I buy it all the time, I like the card.  Somehow though, I had no idea it topdecked the cards.  And I've somehow never noticed "hey, why did I already draw my new Silver, I wasn't close to a reshuffle...".  This has just blown my mind. 

Anybody else have any stories of playing cards wrong for a long time, or not realizing the extra effects that some cards might have?  Having never actually playing Develop IRL, I've never actually played it incorrectly, I just never realized the cards were appearing on top of my deck. 

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Today I Learned...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 03:26:28 pm »
+2

At first I thought Sea Hag trashed the top card of everybody else's deck.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:27:12 pm »
+7

I played with Graverobber many, many times online before I realized the cards were going to the top of my deck.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 03:29:30 pm »
+1

You have no idea how many times I have forgotten to topdeck in games with actual cards :P.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 03:29:53 pm »
+7

I played one game with Witch before I realized that you're only supposed to have 10 Curses in the supply when it's a two player game.

I think it counts, because that one game took a very long time.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 03:30:26 pm »

I played with Graverobber many, many times online before I realized the cards were going to the top of my deck.

You have got to be kidding me.  I had no idea the GraveRobbered card went on top of my deck either. 

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 03:31:15 pm »
+1

Trashing squire gains youa n attack card. Wow.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 03:42:13 pm »
+3

A while back I played an IRL 4p game with pirate ship where we took a token for each treasure we trashed instead of just one when anyone trashed a treasure. People quickly powered them up to $16, and Seaway was in the game, so after just a little while, people were playing Pirate Ships and buying 2 Provinces. I later found out this was wrong when I played an online game with Pirate Ship and it didn't make it to $16. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted (well not for me, I went for Feodum in the IRL game for some reason).

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 03:58:00 pm »
+17

I played one game with Witch before I realized that you're only supposed to have 10 Curses in the supply when it's a two player game.

I think it counts, because that one game took a very long time.
Oh man. I played a bunch of those games.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 04:04:14 pm »
+5

You have got to be kidding me.  I had no idea the GraveRobbered card went on top of my deck either.

To be clear: a card Graverobber gains from the trash goes to the top of your deck. A card it gains via remodeling an Action does not.

mustang255

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Mustang255
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
    • Souva Games
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 04:06:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Develop doesn't topdeck the gained card(s) in Androminion. This is clearly a common misconception.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 04:06:11 pm »
+1

To be clear: a card Graverobber gains from the trash goes to the top of your deck. A card it gains via remodeling an Action does not.

When did this erratum come out?!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 04:08:00 pm »
+4

When did this erratum come out?!

I can't tell if you're joking.

RTFC

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 04:08:57 pm »

The joke was that I had never actually noticed the effect in game play.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 05:08:00 pm »
+2

The German version of Procession doesn't restrict the gaining to Action cards. That lead to a ridiculous first game where Procession/Fortress was used to empty the Duchy pile in a turn or so.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 05:10:45 pm »
+1

Also, way before I discovered this side or isotropic, we played a game with Inn and buying an Inn also put all the cards you played that turn in your deck. Worst Torturer pin ever.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 05:15:08 pm »

Once when playing in person with friends, I was 100% convinced that Duration cards were discarded at the point when they were done doing something.  So at the start of your turn, you'd take your +1 Card from Caravan, then discard it and go about your turn.  Like, I was so convinced and argued it until everyone went along with it, and then after a game we went back and checked the rulebook. 

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 05:34:12 pm »
+2

I play a lot of social 5 player games. When I first started playing Dominion, the games seemed to end too quickly. Yes, there are more victory cards (importantly, Provinces), but there are many supply piles which do not get more cards, and my friends and I found that three piling seemed to cut the game short a lot. I just thought that was a way to keep the game moving. My friends started to push for house rules to allow more empty supply piles or add more kingdom cards, but I am anti-house rules unless there is a very good reason. It was an embarrassingly long time time before I realized this was in the Intrigue rule book already:

In a 5 or 6 player game, the game ends at the end of any player’s turn when one of two
conditions is met: the Supply pile of Province cards is empty OR any 4 Supply piles are
empty.

My bad.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:35:43 pm by Polk5440 »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 06:00:04 pm »

I play a lot of social 5 player games. When I first started playing Dominion, the games seemed to end too quickly. Yes, there are more victory cards (importantly, Provinces), but there are many supply piles which do not get more cards, and my friends and I found that three piling seemed to cut the game short a lot. I just thought that was a way to keep the game moving. My friends started to push for house rules to allow more empty supply piles or add more kingdom cards, but I am anti-house rules unless there is a very good reason. It was an embarrassingly long time time before I realized this was in the Intrigue rule book already:

In a 5 or 6 player game, the game ends at the end of any player’s turn when one of two
conditions is met: the Supply pile of Province cards is empty OR any 4 Supply piles are
empty.

I also believe in a 5 player game you add 2 kingdom cards.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 06:09:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Develop doesn't topdeck the gained card(s) in Androminion. This is clearly a common misconception.

I just checked; Develop definitely works correctly in Androminion.  It even asks you the order the cards that you are topdecking.

You might be thinking of Graverobber, which does have that issue.  Androminion development stopped shortly after Dark Ages was released so many of the DA cards are buggy.  I haven't noticed any bugs with cards from earlier expansions.

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 06:14:24 pm »

When we started playing we gained the cards trashed by Thief right to your hand. Needless to say that Thief was a crazy strong card.

And when you reveal your province with Tournament as the opponent you have to discard the province. It says so on our german version of the card. That one I actually like more than the correct ruling.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 06:24:14 pm »

empty.

Nope! That's not a rule. Although you could house rule it I suppose.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 06:42:48 pm »

empty.

Nope! That's not a rule. Although you could house rule it I suppose.

Ah, than it's a subconcious house rule, *I think*. Now I am doubting wether or not we actually do that.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 07:04:46 pm »
+1

Guys don't forget Artificer also topdecks.

Anyway, it took me a while before I realized Develop topdecked.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 07:12:32 pm »

I didn't realize Scrying Pool kept drawing, I thought it only drew the top card of your deck if it was an action card (making it far worse than Spy).
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 20 queries.