Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Swamp Hag  (Read 15469 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Swamp Hag
« on: March 22, 2016, 08:40:28 am »
+4

Unlike her sister, the Sea Hag, the best she can hope for is swindling a half-girl, half-frog.

-How does this compare to other Cursers?
-How many do you want?
-Is it worth avoiding buying something just to not get a Curse?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Swamp Hag
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:43:24 am »
+1

I actually think Swamp Hag is weaker than most cursers; it's so easy to avoid. I don't like the no bonus/big bonus type of thing (I don't like it with Haunted Woods either) but I've found Swamp Hag to only be powerful in the later game or with multiple Swamp Hags played per turn. It's also notable that this plays even worse with Watchtower and Trader, the former potentially trashing the Curse pile in a few turns (with a lot of +buy) the latter giving you as many Silvers as you want!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 08:46:43 am by Roadrunner7671 »
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:44:51 am »
+3

This looks as if it should play well with Tactician: it gives you nothing on the turn where you're unlikely to be buying much anyway, and +$3 on the turn where you start with ten cards.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:14:18 am »

The delayed cash payout is really weird. Unless you have 2 Swamp Hags constantly cycling it's a bit hard to plan for your payload in advance and stuff. No bonus on play sucks a little.

There are many games where you can play around Swamp Hag (gainers, events, Watchtower) but these aren't the majority of games. "you can just not buy anything", sure, but you can't buy nothing every turn. And Swamp Hag can really fuck up cost reduction decks or some Goons decks.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 09:33:37 am »
+1

The delayed cash payout is really weird. Unless you have 2 Swamp Hags constantly cycling it's a bit hard to plan for your payload in advance and stuff. No bonus on play sucks a little.

With both this and Haunted Woods and Tactician (and Caravan, honestly), it feels more like putting in an investment when you play the card. 
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 09:54:23 am »
+1

And Swamp Hag can really fuck up cost reduction decks or some Goons decks.

One of my opponents once had a Goons megaturn while I had a bunch of Swamp Hags in play and gained like 15 curses and still won. I feel like a strong Goons deck still beats a strong Swamp Hag strategy.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 09:58:13 am »
+1

Yeah, you have to be super careful trying to play defense against Goons with Swamp Hag because you might actually make it easier for them to win by giving them a 'free' pile to empty.

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 10:14:05 am »
+3

Without defense or trashing this card is quite annoying, especially in multiplayer games where it has the potential to prolong games for a lot.
With cards like Witch you just have to accept that you gain a curse, or 3 if every opponent plays one and the game still progresses in a way, because the curses eventually run out. Not with this card. Do you really want to buy any card, if it means you get 2 or even 3 curses? Probably not. Maybe a province.
I don´t think this a problem in 2 player games, but in multiplayer games it has the potential to ruin everyone´s fun.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 10:18:58 am »
+2

This card is more like a torturer than a witch. The opponents can have a good turn but they take the curse to do so. Taking curses at (only) the right time is important.

It's a strange card in multiplayer since you intuitively feel that you can get away without your own swamp hag since the attack doesn't stack, your opponents will be attacking each other anyway, and you don't want to be attacked with an 8 card hand. That strategy can unravel though when you find that you're the only player who's seeing a swamp hag on the table during every one of your turns.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 10:20:52 am »
+3

This card is more like a torturer than a witch. The opponents can have a good turn but they take the curse to do so. Taking curses at (only) the right time is important.

It's a strange card in multiplayer since you intuitively feel that you can get away without your own swamp hag since the attack doesn't stack, your opponents will be attacking each other anyway, and you don't want to be attacked with an 8 card hand. That strategy can unravel though when you find that you're the only player who's seeing a swamp hag on the table during every one of your turns.

The attack does stack, though. You gain one Curse for each Swamp Hag in play for every card you buy.

bug me on discord

they/them

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 10:25:56 am »

Seems weaker than Witch, no? With Witch, the Curse gain is not conditional and is instant (so less chances that the Curse misses a shuffle), Witch itself misses less shuffles than Swamp Hag, and I'd say that two cards now, even dead, seem better than 3 coins next turn.

Swamp Hag seems better if you want to spike a certain price point, or to discourage people from spreading their buys, which I guess makes it more interesting than Witch at least.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 10:45:17 am »

Seems weaker than Witch, no? With Witch, the Curse gain is not conditional and is instant (so less chances that the Curse misses a shuffle), Witch itself misses less shuffles than Swamp Hag, and I'd say that two cards now, even dead, seem better than 3 coins next turn.

Hell, two cards now are oftentimes better than 3 coins now.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 10:50:21 am »

Not a fantastic attack, but certainly not the worst. Gainers wreck this card though.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 12:37:20 pm »

The attack does stack, though. You gain one Curse for each Swamp Hag in play for every card you buy.

Thanks for that. I think I've been getting that wrong in real life games!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 01:01:23 pm »
+1

The wording suggests that the cursing also stacks with Throne Room and it's variants. Is that right?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 01:06:37 pm »
+3

The wording suggests that the cursing also stacks with Throne Room and it's variants. Is that right?

Yes

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 03:33:02 pm »

The duration coin gives you a big turn and a small turn. It's great at setting up an early King's Court/Prince/Pathfinding

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 03:48:15 pm »

The duration coin gives you a big turn and a small turn. It's great at setting up an early King's Court/Prince/Pathfinding

If you open 5/2, yes. If you open 3/4, then get to 5, I'm not as sure about that.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 03:58:43 am »

Unlike other Curses, players know in advance whether they will receive a Curse and get to choose whether to accept it or not.
Being able to choose is already huge, because more choices = more strategy.

I don't think you have to value this as a plain Curser, but rather an attack which can also Curse.
The main attack is adding a penalty to buying cards. It's like Torturer in a sense where Torturer's main penalty is the discarding, because that's more often chosen than taking the Curse.

Things like this are often difficult to gauge, because it's really dependent on the rest of the board.
If there are no gains other than buying, this gains a huge amount of value (also because the +$3 will help with buying cards).
If there are ways around this, it's basically a dud.

It also has a very competitive price point.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 10:21:17 am »
+1

So in retrospect I feel like we can kind of see that a lot of us missed or at least didn't fully grasp how potent the "pin" is wth this card. Well not a pin, maybe trap is the better word? But basically the mid to late game situation where an engine plays two to three of these every turn and basically takes buying more than one card at a time off the table or risking the opponent's engine totally stalling. I'm half assing an article on it as we speak.

bug me on discord

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 10:30:01 am »

So in retrospect I feel like we can kind of see that a lot of us missed or at least didn't fully grasp how potent the "pin" is wth this card. Well not a pin, maybe trap is the better word? But basically the mid to late game situation where an engine plays two to three of these every turn and basically takes buying more than one card at a time off the table or risking the opponent's engine totally stalling. I'm half assing an article on it as we speak.

Swamp Hag is a little stronger than I give it credit for, but only a little stronger.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 07:42:37 pm »

And sometimes that just helps the better engine three-pile more easily

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 12:40:42 pm »

And sometimes that just helps the better engine three-pile more easily

Yeah, it's definitely not without limitations; if gains are basically boundless you can megaturn. But this actually touches on another important point - you actually can harm yourself by playing Swamp Hag too early and too often if you're going for this lockdown strategy. Every Curse out of the pile makes the "pin / trap" less threatening and more potentially beneficial in the form of an early pile drain. The dynamics get interesting.

bug me on discord

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.