Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Storyteller  (Read 14453 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Storyteller
« on: March 21, 2016, 08:51:15 am »
+4

A long time ago, in a gal kingdom far, far away...

-How does this compare to other non-terminal draw or sifters?
-What Treasures would you most want to play with this?
-How many would you want?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Storyteller
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 09:08:19 am »

This seems really nice to enable strong draw even if theres no trashing. Obviously nice tricks available with menagerie. I hope they get adventures out soon so i can play with those cards rather than just speculate. Well, it is almost end of March after all :)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 09:34:35 am »
+7

Quarry. Because I like gaining Grand Markets with my Ironworks. :D
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 09:41:39 am »

Indeed, haven't thought of that. After Black Market another card that allows to prematurely play treasure cards. Other than Black Market, this premature payment does not allow Tactician shenanigans, but treasure side effects affecting action phase are fair game. Well played.

Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 09:57:39 am »

Storyteller creates so many dilemmas I've almost never played with it. It's trading payload for non terminal draw a lot of the time, which seems nice. I also like the synergy with Treasure effects in the action phase - Coin of the Realm and Quarry being the most notable things.

What really messes me up about the card is how when you play it, you have to use up all of your accumulated coin. You play your Peddlers and GMs, and then you have a hand with Storyteller and some stop cards - do you give up all of your accumulated money to keep going, or accept your semi-dud turn? These kind of dilemmas are probably not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be but they dissuade me from wanting to use this card.

Using Copper with this isn't super good - it's a less flexible Cellar with +1 Card then. Using it with bigger money is nice, and it might give certain engines a reason to invest in Gold or even Silver gainers.

I dunno, this is a card I think will take a long time for me to figure out.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 10:07:26 am »
+5

I like this with Treasure Trove.  You end up getting lots of Treasure in your deck - more than enough to both fuel your Storytellers and still buy stuff.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 10:23:41 am »

What really messes me up about the card is how when you play it, you have to use up all of your accumulated coin. You play your Peddlers and GMs, and then you have a hand with Storyteller and some stop cards - do you give up all of your accumulated money to keep going, or accept your semi-dud turn? These kind of dilemmas are probably not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be but they dissuade me from wanting to use this card.

That's only a dilemma if you are buying all your cards. If you are primarily trashing and gaining cards, perhaps with the remodel family, then storyteller will cycle the deck.

Using Copper with this isn't super good - it's a less flexible Cellar with +1 Card then. Using it with bigger money is nice, and it might give certain engines a reason to invest in Gold or even Silver gainers.

If the remaining cards in your deck are significantly better than copper, the storyteller is giving significant benefit.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 11:06:55 am »

That's only a dilemma if you are buying all your cards. If you are primarily trashing and gaining cards, perhaps with the remodel family, then storyteller will cycle the deck.

Okay, but games where you generally don't buy cards are certainly not most games! Even in Remodel games you're often buying the cards you later Remodel...

If the remaining cards in your deck are significantly better than copper, the storyteller is giving significant benefit.

Yeah, but I'm comparing Storyteller to other sifting cards - not to no card at all.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 02:16:58 pm »

Playing Storyteller on a Silver is kind of like having paid $8 for a card that reads "+1 Action, +1 Coin, +3 Cards" (you're not guaranteed to always draw the Silver with Storyteller, but lets assume so for the sake of argument).  With Gold it's like an $11 "+1 Action, +1 Coin, +6 Cards".  And so on for Bank/Platinum/whatever.  These price points seem reasonable to me.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 02:26:02 pm »

Playing Storyteller on a Silver is kind of like having paid $8 for a card that reads "+1 Action, +1 Coin, +3 Cards" (you're not guaranteed to always draw the Silver with Storyteller, but lets assume so for the sake of argument).  With Gold it's like an $11 "+1 Action, +1 Coin, +6 Cards".  And so on for Bank/Platinum/whatever.  These price points seem reasonable to me.

Where does the +1 Coin come from?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 02:32:30 pm »

With a Silver it's [+3 Cards, +1 Action]. With a Gold it's [+4 Cards, +1 Action]. Of course, you're hopefully playing more than one Treasure with your Storyteller.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 02:38:28 pm »

With a Silver it's [+3 Cards, +1 Action]. With a Gold it's [+4 Cards, +1 Action]. Of course, you're hopefully playing more than one Treasure with your Storyteller.

Oh right, whoops.  I was thinking of Apprentice, hence the +3 for Silver, +6 for Gold.  But does the +1 Coin from Storyteller count towards the + cards?  I didn't think it did, but seems like you do.

So now I actually feel Storyteller is pretty weak, unless you really wanted draw.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 02:40:28 pm »
+4

Oh right, whoops.  I was thinking of Apprentice, hence the +3 for Silver, +6 for Gold.  But does the +1 Coin from Storyteller count towards the + cards?  I didn't think it did, but seems like you do.

It definitely does use up the +$1 from Storyteller itself. It says "pay all of your $".

So now I actually feel Storyteller is pretty weak, unless you really wanted draw.

You always really want draw!

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 02:55:50 pm »

It definitely does use up the +$1 from Storyteller itself. It says "pay all of your $".

Oh cool.  And so even coins from before you played Storyteller get counted?  That seems crazy.
EDIT: Just realized, if it gives you +1 card per coin, why doesn't it just say +1 card instead???

You always really want draw!

You always want coins too.  What do you want more?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:59:19 pm by Dingan »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 02:58:04 pm »

I don' think anyone has addressed this yet: how many Storytellers will you usually want?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 03:00:06 pm »

You always want coins too.  What do you want more?

If the average value of a card in your deck is greater than $1, then you want to draw cards more. With Storyteller, you just have to be careful not to pay for card draw that ends up not drawing you a card.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 03:08:28 pm »

Oh cool.  And so even coins from before you played Storyteller get counted?  That seems crazy.
EDIT: Just realized, if it gives you +1 card per coin, why doesn't it just say +1 card instead???

If it said "+1 Card", then you'd be able to play the card you drew with Storyteller, making the card slightly stronger. The +1 Coin instead is meant to weaken the card slightly by only giving you the cantrip effect after you choose what treasures to play.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 03:11:33 pm »
+1

It speeds the card play up a bit by consolidating the drawing into one effect. And it's a small nerf to not have +1 card come first. There's some discussion about this in the Adventures Previews thread for Storyteller. If I remember correctly, that part of the discussion even got heated, so that's something to look forward to if you read!

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 03:25:36 pm »

It speeds the card play up a bit by consolidating the drawing into one effect. And it's a small nerf to not have +1 card come first. There's some discussion about this in the Adventures Previews thread for Storyteller. If I remember correctly, that part of the discussion even got heated, so that's something to look forward to if you read!

Makes sense but seems like it could just be after the text part.  But whatever.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 03:57:22 pm »

Makes sense but seems like it could just be after the text part.  But whatever.

But that looks ugly... vanilla bonus, text, vanilla bonus.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 04:00:58 pm »
+2

Storyteller has an interesting interaction with coin tokens by the way, in that they provide a way to "save" money from being transformed into cards.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 06:11:50 pm »

I'm not sure how I feel about Storyteller yet. I played like two games with it and each time I bought a couple. It worked nicely, but since Adventures is so new and inviting you to screw around with a lot of stuff that actually diverts from winning the game, I couldn't tell, if Storyteller was good (in those kingdoms) or both players were just playing really slow decks.

I do know this. I LOVE how thematic this card is. Or better: How thematic I think it is, because I didn't read anything about its backstory and I can't be sure that DXV intended it that way. Especially when playing with lots of card from Adventures, you're telling something of a story with your cards. And as long as you're paying the Storyteller, the saga continues. Love it.
Join Team Rocket!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 07:20:57 pm »

Lost treasure + upgrade (3 of them) + story teller + a source of plus buy + militia worked pretty well.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 08:35:31 pm »
+2

Storyteller is great!  I think it's often more powerful than Stables.  Storyteller works decently as a Copper-sifter, but the real value comes from paying better treasures to Storyteller.  Storyteller has great synergy with treasure gainers: the Page line and Amulet stand out here.  Treasure Trove is good, but it competes at the same price point as Storyteller.  With several Storytellers and some bigger treasures, it's pretty easy to draw your deck without trashing Coppers.  The issue becomes reliability.  If you've got a lot of treasures in your deck, you want to start with a Storyteller in hand to kick off.  So, Storyteller really likes Save, Gear, Haven, Courtyard, and the like.

Storyteller has a complicated relationship with Peddler-style cards.  It can be powerful to turn Peddlers into Labs, but sometimes your draw order doesn't work out and you have non-optimal payload.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2016, 10:38:59 am »

Storyteller/Remodel family/Gold gainer is very strong and ends the game very quickly.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.