Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Events enabling you to get coin/VP tokens  (Read 6043 times)

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Events enabling you to get coin/VP tokens
« on: March 20, 2016, 01:31:22 pm »
+1

Has anyone tried an event that allows you to modify a card so that it gives you coin/VP tokens when gained/played?

Some possibilities:

Invest $3
Event
Place an investment token on an Kingdom Action supply pile. Whenever a player gains a card from that pile, you get +1vp.

Grift $7
Event
Move your grift token to an Action supply pile. When another player plays a card from that pile, take a coin token.

I kind of like the idea that you benefit from something someone else does, but it'd be tough to balance for 2 vs. 4 players. What do you think?

Update: images

Update 2: New version of Grift requires discard to get the benefit - costs a little less. I think this helps with the strength and scaling problems.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:05:26 am by Ankenaut »

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
Re: Events enabling you to get coin/VP tokens
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:36:08 pm »

Invest into Curse, then Double Witch = gg
Invest into Copper is also very strong, if +Buy is available.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 01:38:13 pm »
+1

Invest into Curse, then Double Witch = gg

But Curse and Copper aren't Kingdom cards.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 01:47:09 pm »

Has anyone tried an event that allows you to modify a card so that it gives you coin/VP tokens when gained/played?

Some possibilities:

Invest $3
Event
Place an investment token on a Kingdom pile. Whenever a player gains a card from that pile, you get +1vp.

Grift $7
Event
Move your grift token to an Action supply pile. When another player plays a card from that pile, take a coin token.

I kind of like the idea that you benefit from something someone else does, but it'd be tough to balance for 2 vs. 4 players. What do you think?
If you have a fixed player count ( I never play Dominion with 4) you can just scale the price accordingly. I would stick to action cards though, otherwise it might just be a no-brainer to Investify Gold or Province.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 01:53:44 pm »
+2

If you have a fixed player count ( I never play Dominion with 4) you can just scale the price accordingly. I would stick to action cards though, otherwise it might just be a no-brainer to Investify Gold or Province.

But Curse and Copper Gold and Province aren't Kingdom cards.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 01:54:06 pm »
+1

Again, Gold and Province aren't Kingdom piles, so you couldn't invest in them. Kingdom piles are the 10 piles you swap out for every game. I suppose you could restrict it to "Action supply" instead of "Kingdom", but as an on-gain trigger, I don't see a problem with it working on Talisman or Feodum or something.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 02:11:56 pm »
+4

You are experiencing the problem with using "Kingdom" as an identifier: nobody seems to know what it means. Early on in Adventures playtesting, Plan and Inheritance could go on Kingdom card piles, but nobody knew what that meant, so now it's Action card piles.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 02:29:59 pm »

OK, "Action supply" it is.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 04:43:29 pm »

You are experiencing the problem with using "Kingdom" as an identifier: nobody seems to know what it means. Early on in Adventures playtesting, Plan and Inheritance could go on Kingdom card piles, but nobody knew what that meant, so now it's Action card piles.

Right; I believe that the rulebook and official cards never refer to or define "Kingdom card".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 04:44:08 pm »

I don't think so.... when you play a Goons, it's not normally smart to buy extra copper just to get a VP token; so it wouldn't be here either.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 05:13:19 pm »
+4

Right; I believe that the rulebook and official cards never refer to or define "Kingdom card".

Rulebook: "In addition to the Trash, Treasure, Victory, and Curse cards that are used in every game, the players also select 10 Kingdom cards."

Official cards: "Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $2 or $3 to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Bane cards."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 11:44:16 pm »

Rulebook: "In addition to the Trash, Treasure, Victory, and Curse cards that are used in every game, the players also select 10 Kingdom cards."

Official cards: "Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $2 or $3 to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Bane cards."

Well there you go. I want to see more cards that use that then! Though I suppose most of the time, using that instead of "Supply" would feel like a weird way of just making it so that you can't target Provinces/Estates/Coppers (depending on the effect).

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 06:31:56 pm »

Grift seems too strong compared to Training. Obviously its strength is positive in the player count but e.g. in a 3p game Grifting a Village would be pretty overpowered. A Baker costs 5 and provides a coin once per reshuffle wheras here you could get around 6 (assuming that the Village pile is empty and roughly equally distributed) coins per reshuffle (of both opponents) for 7.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 06:43:53 pm »

But grift is per gain, not play.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 06:48:28 pm »

Nope. Look again. Grift is per play, Invest is per gain.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 09:09:49 pm »

Other than scaling somewhat badly, Grift suffers from being a strong Engine counter. If your opponent is building an engine, you can Grift engine pieces (BM+draw will get to 7 kinda early), and then enjoy the stream of coins headed your way. At the same point, the engine player can't counter this since you're not really playing actions. Actions are fun, and making it bad to play them is a risk, design-wise.
I suggest making the bonus happen on any player's gain, and reducing the cost to a more affordable price (something you could open). It makes it really similar to Invest, but recognizing fast-burning piles is a cool skill, and coin tokens are awesome enough that even a couple of them can make a game. And an early Grift can net you 10 coins, which is still very cool.
I think this also would make it very similar (identical?) to another fan Event which was floating around.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 11:08:34 pm »

I agree that the on-play is tough to balance with Grift, but I didn't want it to be exactly the same as Invest.

What if it also gave other players a cheaper cost for that pile or something like that?  Kind of like how Council Room gives an on-play benefit to opponents while otherwise being strong for the cost.

Or, maybe you get one coin token per turn an opponent plays it? That still may have the scaling problem with the number of players, but maybe it's not as big of a deal then.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 10:07:43 am »
+1

I changed Grift to require you to also discard to get the Coin token. I think this significantly weakens it from where it was and helps with the bad scaling. In this form, $7 seemed like too much, but I don't really have a good sense of where this should be priced.

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 11:11:59 am »

I don't really have a good sense of where [Grift] should be priced.

Now that it requires a discard to gain the coin token, I think cost 6 might still be too high, since now it only turns "useless" cards into coin tokens, which you might not have too many of in a good deck. A cost six event could be tough to buy early, as well. Perhaps playtest it at 5?

On the other hand, it is useful to turn coppers into coin tokens, and early on you are guaranteed to have lots of those in your deck. So it is tricky to balance.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:29:34 pm by Thanar »

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 09:23:29 am »

I changed Grift to require you to also discard to get the Coin token. I think this significantly weakens it from where it was and helps with the bad scaling. In this form, $7 seemed like too much, but I don't really have a good sense of where this should be priced.
I think that this is now pretty weak and perhaps worth around 5. Sift for coin could be a cool idea for an Action card  though.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 09:42:05 am »

Nope. Look again. Grift is per play, Invest is per gain.
I feel stupid now.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.