Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clash Royale  (Read 3198 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Clash Royale
« on: March 20, 2016, 12:10:01 pm »

Does anyone play this new mobile game?

I've found it's very similar to Hearthstone, but with much less variety and the minions are actual creatures that move around and attack (leading to no turns). Starting to play now would be a good idea, as a lot of the players are inexperienced and quite easy to beat.

However, this game does come from Supercell, the company that also developed Clash of Clans, so you can expect that many people will be clogging the arenas soon!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Ratsia

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +113
    • View Profile
Re: Clash Royale
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 02:23:40 pm »

I've been playing the game for a couple of months now (they had a soft-launch in Finland, quite naturally as the company is Finnish).

I really like the game, but I cannot compare it to others in the same genre since I haven't really been playing other modern mobile games that much. The game is in general well balanced and the developers monitor the game closely. Small tweaks are released every few weeks to fix cards that are either too powerful/weak or simply being used too much/little, and these are communicated in advance with clear motivations and they have never made any strategy obsolute in one change. The developers are in general skilled and they have, for example, the main developer of Eclipse in the company but I haven't asked whether he is working on this game or not. In other words, I believe the game is designed so that boardgamers should like it.

The natural issue with this sort of games is the role of real-world money. It is perfectly possible to play without paying them anything and be fairly competitive (I can comfortably play at the highest arena and I haven't spent anything on the game), but reaching the top of the global leaderboard is most likely out of the question. The playing ground for the absolute top is levelled by tournament rules that gap the cards to reasonable levels (levels that you can be reached in perhaps 3-5 months of active playing; the company claims 2-3 months but that is not true for the epic cards) once you are high enough in the ranking, but unfortunately it is becoming near impossible to reach that ranking without paying something -- and once you start paying you would need to go to hundreds (if not thousands) of euros to actually have a big impact. Apparently some (mostly Asian) players have been paying thousands or even tens of thousands for decks with max-level cards; reaching those levels by playing would take probably tens of years assuming the servers existed that long... Yep, Supercell really knows how to make money with this kind of games.

So, I do recommend the game but suggest accepting up front that you will not be competing for the absolute top ranks unless willing to consider paying ridiculous amounts of money. The start is a bit faster if you give them a few euros/dollars and spend them wisely (buy some cards directly every day, not chests), which I think is fine, but after that there is not point in wasting money.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:24:57 pm by Ratsia »

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 04:51:34 am »

I started playing about a week ago. Having a lot of fun with it, loving the donation mechanic in particular.

I just got into Arena 5 (spell valley) and that felt like a huge accomplishment.

Are you in a guild yet, RR?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Ratsia

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +113
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:13:40 am »

As a side-note: You really, really, need to be in a guild. Donating cards is what gives majority of the experience needed to go up levels, and in general donating is pure win-win -situation that generates both experience and money out of thin air for the clan members.

So, if anyone is just starting to play you need to join some clan as soon as it is possible, and you should always both request cards as soon as you can and give out cards when others ask for them, almost unconditionally. The one giving out the cards probably benefits even more than the one requesting them.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:31:22 am »

I started playing about a week ago. Having a lot of fun with it, loving the donation mechanic in particular.

I just got into Arena 5 (spell valley) and that felt like a huge accomplishment.

Nope, I was for a while but then everyone left.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 10:01:55 am »

Nope, I was for a while but then everyone left.
If you want to join mine it's called Alpha' s Empire.  With that weird space between the apostrophe and s. We're active enough that everyone gets donated their requested cards pretty fast, but we only have three players in Arena 5.

As a side-note: You really, really, need to be in a guild. Donating cards is what gives majority of the experience needed to go up levels, and in general donating is pure win-win -situation that generates both experience and money out of thin air for the clan members.

So, if anyone is just starting to play you need to join some clan as soon as it is possible, and you should always both request cards as soon as you can and give out cards when others ask for them, almost unconditionally. The one giving out the cards probably benefits even more than the one requesting them.
Agreed. I donate every chance I get.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 10:33:30 am »
+1

If you want to join mine it's called Alpha' s Empire.

What is it called if he doesn't want to join?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 02:17:56 pm »

I'd be uncomfortable posting it in a forum that might be frequented by children.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 05:26:44 pm »

Would it be worth trying to start a F.DS Clash Royale Guild?

Or Clash of Clans, but it looks like F.DS of 2014 was not on board.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 05:40:36 pm by Roadrunner7671 »

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 08:14:58 pm »

We only have three people that even play that we know of, it'd make more sense just to join an existing one if we want to play together.

I don't play Clash of Clans

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 05:24:48 pm »

Axxle, I didn't want to say this in front of everyone, but I'm considering leaving your guild for a more active one. I really want to donate, and it seems like it's just you and the Exterminator.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 05:25:57 pm »

Axxle, I didn't want to say this in front of everyone, but I'm considering leaving your guild for a more active one. I really want to donate, and it seems like it's just you and the Exterminator.
Sure thing. It was more active a weekish ago so it's understandable. Let me know if you find a good one and I might jump ship too
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.