Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Seaway  (Read 13363 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Seaway
« on: March 20, 2016, 09:01:33 am »
+9

A man, a plan, a canal.  Suez.

-How does this compare to the other vanilla bonus token Events?
-How does having to gain the relevant card affect it?
-Which cards are best to Seaway?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Seaway
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 09:33:27 am »

This might be trivial to say, but I imagine gaining the card makes it better because you want to play it anyway. On the other hand, the cost of the card is restricted to 4, so it balances out. Playtesters, with this one, did you just want to shake things up with the vanilla token events? Or was there a practical reason it couldn't be a direct companion to Pathfinding/Lost Arts/Training?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 09:38:55 am »
+1

The reason is probably that +buy is a lot less useful than the other vanilla effects, especially if you get lots of them. So seaway has to be really cheap. But if you use it to get +buy, you likely can only buy one thing at that point, so at $2' the opportunity cost would still be too high.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 10:08:38 am »

A smithy with a +buy token isn't as good as a 5 coin margrave, on the face of it, but the +buy token will also help all the smithies in your deck, both now and in the future.

Seaway is clearly an engine enabler that you put on on a village or drawing card when there isn't an easy source of +buy elsewhere in the kingdom. If kingdom cards that love +buy are in the kingdom then clearly seaway comes into play. It could easily be worth using a seaway with worker's villages to set up a big goons finish.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 01:24:50 pm »
+1

In general, you should Seaway whichever card in your deck you want at the moment. If you can make an engine, just about any component works as you rarely need more than two or three buys. Certainly I would just Seaway whatever off a Mission turn.

There are a couple of exceptions:
1. If you are planning to or have already massed a card for some slog: stuff like B-crat, Squire, Horse traders, etc. can make for very nice slog decks.
2. If you want to threaten to pile the estates or curses. It can be worth it to buy Seaway just to double the +buys in your deck with a nice Hamlet or Worker’s Village play. The other time this can work is when you have Tr, Prssn, Rc, or Kc in the works.
3. Three pile threats. Like above, but more generally when you start getting low you can spend a 5 to make the other guy green ASAP. Seaway on the last village can be a nice way to control game end.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 01:30:16 pm »
+15

Play Highway.
Seaway Highway.
Profit.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 01:36:24 pm »
+6

This might be trivial to say, but I imagine gaining the card makes it better because you want to play it anyway. On the other hand, the cost of the card is restricted to 4, so it balances out. Playtesters, with this one, did you just want to shake things up with the vanilla token events? Or was there a practical reason it couldn't be a direct companion to Pathfinding/Lost Arts/Training?
You tend to want as much +Actions/$/Cards as you can get, but are less likely to want tons of +Buy. So Seaway competes with +Buy cards and so to avoid shutting them out it wanted to cost $5. That meant it had to do something extra, and what it does is get you a copy of the card.

It went back and forth on whether or not it could put the token on a card it couldn't gain. I liked being able to put the token on more expensive cards but it wasn't worth making Seaway more complex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 10:47:31 am »

Seaway is a lot less effective when there are good +buy cards around. When there is no +buy, suddenly Seaway is an excellent card.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 01:07:31 pm »
+1

Putting seaway on highway is the way to go.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 01:09:55 pm »
+5

Putting seaway on highway is the way to go.

Whoever Seaways Peddler first gets to empty the pile.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 02:13:52 am »
+3

If you want to get a card without taking a Curse via Embargo token, this is such a "loophole".
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 09:42:31 pm »
+6

If you want to get a card without taking a Curse via Embargo token, this is such a "loophole".

Seaway allows you to dodge an Embargo... hmm, okay, that checks out.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 10:48:35 pm »

That joke went over my head. I clicked away from this thread, then I got the joke. So I came back to give you a +1.

Well played, sir.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 01:32:30 pm »

The power of +Buy is the power to end the game. Never forget.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 03:52:47 pm »
+1

also generally to buy more stuff than 1 stuff but yeah
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 04:04:24 pm »
+2

also generally to buy more stuff than 1 stuff but yeah

OK, let me rephrase.

Donald said earlier that +Buy has returns that diminish more quickly than +Cards, +Actions, or +$. And that's true, except that having absolutely massive amounts of +Buy (like from putting Seaway on Port) can often give you an amazing amount of control over when the game ends. If there's a very cheap pile that you can finish buying out, you may be able to instantly end a game that looks like it's nowhere near ending. If you're far enough ahead, that pile can even be Curses.

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 04:48:38 pm »
+21

OK, let me rephrase.

Donald said earlier that +Buy has returns that diminish more quickly than +Cards, +Actions, or +$. And that's true, except that having absolutely massive amounts of +Buy (like from putting Seaway on Port) can often give you an amazing amount of control over when the game ends. If there's a very cheap pile that you can finish buying out, you may be able to instantly end a game that looks like it's nowhere near ending. If you're far enough ahead, that pile can even be Curses.
i got nervous when awaclus upped my post so i illustrated what you said as a token of friendship
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 07:35:24 pm »

Seaway on Highway is a combo I've somehow managed to see a couple of times and it's nearly always bonkers.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 07:50:56 am »
+3

Seaway on Highway is a combo I've somehow managed to see a couple of times and it's nearly always bonkers.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160519/log.0.1463652625182.txt

I had 10 seawayed highways here and bought 8 Provinces + 4 duchies on turn 11 :D

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 12:37:33 am »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160519/log.0.1463652625182.txt

I had 10 seawayed highways here and bought 8 Provinces + 4 duchies on turn 11 :D

Yeah, and you opened Chapel.  Seaway/Highway very much needs support.

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 08:31:40 am »

Yeah, and you opened Chapel.  Seaway/Highway very much needs support.

Yeah the Chapel thinning really helped a lot

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 11:33:55 am »
+1

OK, let me rephrase.

i got nervous when awaclus upped my post so i illustrated what you said as a token of friendship

I know it's just a joke, but diminishing returns doesn't mean it dips down. Having 3-8 gains isn't weaker than having only 1 gain.

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 11:43:45 am »
+3

OK, let me rephrase.

I know it's just a joke, but diminishing returns doesn't mean it dips down. Having 3-8 gains isn't weaker than having only 1 gain.
note the part where it says "ds/dg"

it has layers

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 12:31:05 pm »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 12:45:42 pm »
+1

OK, let me rephrase.

note the part where it says "ds/dg"

it has layers

Is s for strength and g for gains?

EDIT: hey guys, did you see that? schadd used caps!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 12:47:28 pm by Accatitippi »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.