Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: bug: Royal Seal and Mandarin?  (Read 1392 times)

barsooma

bug: Royal Seal and Mandarin?
« on: January 19, 2012, 04:12:10 pm »

— bladerakker's turn 9 —
bladerakker plays a Spice Merchant.
... trashing a Copper.
... getting +1 buy and +$2.
bladerakker plays a Royal Seal and 2 Golds.
bladerakker buys a Mandarin.
... putting a Royal Seal and 2 Golds back on the deck (in some order).
... putting the Mandarin on top of the deck.
bladerakker buys an Upgrade.

As I understand it, this sequence should not be possible.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: bug: Royal Seal and Mandarin?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 04:53:48 pm »

I think that it's correct, actually.

At the moment you bought a Mandarin, 2 effects triggered simultaneously. Mandarin's "when you gain this" and Royal Seal's "when you gain a card."

You should then get to choose which effect to deal with first. Either put Mandarin on your deck, or put all treasures on your deck. Either way, you should get to do both.

The fact that Royal Seal isn't in play at the moment that you could choose to put Mandarin on your deck doesn't matter. What matters is that it was in play when you gained Mandarin.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 05:50:32 pm »

The OP is probably thinking of Mint.  I.e., the fact that if you play treasures including Royal Seal and then buy a Mint, the treasures (with Royal Seal) get trashed - and you don't topdeck the Mint either.

But that's because Mint's effect occurs when you buy it.  Buying happens BEFORE gaining.  The sequence is:

1. You buy Mint
2. You trash Royal Seal
3. You gain Mint

...and because Royal Seal is no longer in play, its topdecking "on gain" ability can't trigger.

But in the Mandarin example, as GendoIkari noted, you have two effects both triggering "on gain."  As they happen simultaneously, the player can choose what order to implement them.

barsooma

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 06:46:38 pm »

The OP is probably thinking of Mint.  I.e., the fact that if you play treasures including Royal Seal and then buy a Mint, the treasures (with Royal Seal) get trashed - and you don't topdeck the Mint either.

Close... I was actually led astray by thinking of the Alchemist / Herbalist conflict.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.023 seconds with 21 queries.