Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mint as Thinner  (Read 1543 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Mint as Thinner
« on: March 17, 2016, 06:15:14 pm »
+2

Code: [Select]
Hamlet, Scheme, Village, Bureaucrat, Caravan, Noble Brigand, Bandit Camp, Merchant Ship, Mint, Mystic
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160315/log.0.1458022468226.txt

Colony/Platina

I just wanted to highlight this game because it illustrates a very simple, yet often-messed-up, technique: using Mint to clear out your starting Coppers.

I am confident here the best way to go is to get as many Coppers into play as you can, ideally at least 6, then buying Mint, then playing Bandit Camp enough to afford a Platinum, then Minting Platina, and so on.

To accomplish that, all you want is draw.  You don't want Silvers, Golds, Merchant Ships, or anything that doesn't help you get more Coppers into play.  I opened Caravan/Scheme.  This will make it pretty unlikely I spike $5 early -- but I don't really care because all I want is $4 for Caravans.  My opponent bought a Silver early, which I instantly thought was a mistake.  And I think that had a direct effect on me winning, as I was able to get 6 Coppers into play for Mint, opposed to my opponent's 3 Copper and 1 Silver.

Oh, and once you buy the Mint, you will still need a way to generate economy and/or have targets for the Mint.  Therefore, you want to have your <thing that gets you economy or can be Minted> before you buy the Mint (or, alternatively, at least have a plan to generate economy afterwards - so something like Upgrade would be good because it could turn the Mint into something much more useful).  This seems obvious, but I see people screw it up a lot.  In this case, it was Bandit Camp -- it would be used to gain enough economy back after having Minted away my Coppers.  And I had bought a Bandit Camp 2 turns before my Mint, opposed to my opponent buying his 4 turns before his Mint -- again, not ideal as those extra Spoils inhibit you from getting more Coppers into play.

So yeah, Minting Coppers is good.  But most of you probably already knew that :P

Oh and here is a somewhat similar game with Mint & Wishing Well to draw the Coppers, in which I royally screwed up by thinking I could use Trader instead of Mint to clear them out:
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20151017/log.0.1445092780054.txt
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:17:42 pm by Dingan »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Mint as Thinner
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 07:12:29 pm »

so something like Upgrade would be good because it could turn the Mint into something much more useful

If Upgrade is available, it's probably easier to just get Upgrade(s) instead of setting up a big Mint trashing.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:38:32 pm »

so something like Upgrade would be good because it could turn the Mint into something much more useful

If Upgrade is available, it's probably easier to just get Upgrade(s) instead of setting up a big Mint trashing.

Agreed.  The point I was trying to make though is that you need to have a plan for what you're going to do after you buy the Mint.  Whether or not going for Mint in the first place was the correct thing to do is a different issue.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 02:47:00 pm »

Isn't the main point of Mint to biuy as a copper trasher. That's why I get it pretty much anytime I get it. Platina is just a bonus.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.