Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Raze  (Read 5938 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Raze
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:21:47 am »
+1

"Mistah Gohbahchev... teah down that wall!  ICK BIN EIN DOUGHNUT!"

-How many do you want, how soon?
-How does this compare to other single card trashers?
-When do you want to make this trash itself?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Raze
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:10:13 am »
+1

I am very impressed by the card.
2 seem a good number for trashing purposes, but more won´t hurt your deck.
If you only hit $2 or do not want another silver this card will remain a good choice the whole game.
It is a pretty nice card to have in your starting hand. Trashing this or a silver to pick the best of the next 2-3 cards is awesome, if you would otherwise stall this turn.

Copper trashing is not that great with the card, but if you have additional copies you can focus on the card draw first and trash Coppers/Curses at the end of your turn.

It defends fairly well against Ghost Ship and Torturer. You can trash the curse from Torturer right away and discard a junk card that you put on top from Ghost Ship.

In one game I have trashed a province to this card to get to $8 and buy the last one to win the game.

Apprentice is a more powerful version of this card, but then this costs only $2.
Lookout is better for trashing Curses and Coppers, at least until most of the junk is gone. Raze is better to get a few junk cards out of the deck.
Then it doesn´t seem crazy to have Lookout and Raze in the deck. At some point Lookout will stop being useful and you can then trash it to Raze.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 02:16:55 pm by Mavy2k »

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:13:26 am »

I think you want 1 raze if there is like jack,spice merchant, forager,lookout.
If thining coppers is important then getting three should work out well.
I don't think you want to open double raze on most boards.
This is really similar to both lookout and forager.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 09:29:22 am »

Raze is the best. They're usually better than nothing. They're like a better one-shot Pearl Diver.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

papadjango

• Baron
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 10:17:36 am »

In one game I have trashed a province to this card to get to $8 and buy the last one to win the game.

This is a mistake, Mavy2k. When trashing a province with Raze you have to look at your next eight cards and keep one of them in your Hand. Enough for the last province?

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 10:19:04 am »
+2

This is a mistake, Mavy2k. When trashing a province with Raze you have to look at your next eight cards and keep one of them in your Hand. Enough for the last province?
This is legitimate. If you have 5$ and you find a gold and you were winning you win.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 10:50:25 am »
+2

#420RazeIt

Raze is fucking great, particularly if you can remove the opportunity cost of buying it.

The first thing to keep in mind is that Raze is, at worst, a one-shot cantrip that discards a card you didn't want. So it's hard to overbuy them, and there's almost no reason not to get one on $2 since you can just trash it anyway. In so many games I've hit $3 when I needed to hit $4, but didn't want another Silver, so I bought a second, or third, or fourth Raze. Even if it just trashes itself right away, it's usually better than nothing, and if you knock one Copper out of your deck with it beforehand, good enough for me.

A Raze play on an Estate in the second shuffle guarantees whatever else you bought will not miss the shuffle. This is huge.

Raze is good enough that I've used it as the only trasher on a board to thin my deck out, but obviously it works best as the "second trasher" that eventually gets rid of your trash card and then itself.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.