Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: MJ's Cards  (Read 28022 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
MJ's Cards
« on: March 14, 2016, 09:22:15 pm »

To build another fun expansion, I will add new ideas here.

Old topics:
Nurse
cost 2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand.
Time Traveller
cost 2 - Event
+1 Buy
Take a Coin token.
Each other player draws and discards a card.

Another one.
Broom
cost 3 - Action - Attack - Reaction
+$1
Each other player gains a Curse.
When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, set aside that card on your Broom mat.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 12:00:35 am by majiponi »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
Re: MJ's Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 03:32:54 am »
+1

A non-mandatory cantrip trasher has to cost 5$. Note that mandatory cantrip trashers like Junk Dealer and Upgrade become either risky during the later part of the game (I don't have any junk in my hand so do I risk playing the card)) or even dead cards if you are totally out of junk.

Time Traveller is probably too weak. On average a card is better than a coin so why would I want to get a Coin token (admittedly stronger than an instant coin) and gift my opponents a card? I think the better way to nerf this Event is to restrict it to "once per turn".

Broom is probably OK although I would first try it at 4$. Not that there is a big difference between 3$ and 4$ but as it is an attack-defense Broom could be so strong that it is often/always right to open with two of them. At a price of 4$ you cannot normally do so.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 06:14:09 am »

I think nurse costs $2 so that everyone can open with two of them and it's not a race to hit $5.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 06:25:50 am »
+2

Would you also argue that Junk Dealer and Upgrade should cost 2$ such that everybody could open with them?

This implicit comparison with Chapel is dubious for a simple reason: Chapel is a terminal whereas this is a cantrip. This is also why you rarely want more than one Chapel whereas you frequently want two cantrip trashers.

So besides being totally mispriced Nurse could imply that in a lot of Kingdoms the best opening is two Nurses.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 01:28:31 pm »

Would you also argue that Junk Dealer and Upgrade should cost 2$ such that everybody could open with them?

This implicit comparison with Chapel is dubious for a simple reason: Chapel is a terminal whereas this is a cantrip. This is also why you rarely want more than one Chapel whereas you frequently want two cantrip trashers.

So besides being totally mispriced Nurse could imply that in a lot of Kingdoms the best opening is two Nurses.

I think there are reasons in favour of comparing Nurse to Chapel, and reasons against it. Obviously, allowing each player access to Chapel because it's good is something you could apply to Nurse. But i think the reason you listed weights stronger: You will open with two Nurses. In fact, i can imagine loading up on as many Nurses as i can get, simply because they don't harm your deck. Unlike Chapel, where multiples are actively bad usually, Nurses become better in multiples. Note this would still apply if Nurse was mandatory, as getting 2-3 Nurses would allow you to clear out your deck faster than one, and still can trash each other after that.

At the danger of sounding like a bad advertiser, take a look at my Homunculus ("Asper's Cards" thread, no link as i'm on mobile, sorry), which started very similar to Nurse. I gradually weakened it until it took its final form, where it is relatively easy to aquire, but delayed. Note that several other Alchemy cards, like Scrying Pool or Apothecary, and Travellers follow a similar pattern. This is to say, Nurse doesn't need to cost $5, but it certainly needs to be slowed down or made unattractive in multiples.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:02:15 pm by Asper »

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 02:16:11 pm »
+1

I think there are reasons in favour of comparing Nurse to Chapel, and reasons against it. Obviously, allowing each player access to Chapel because it's good is something you could apply to Nurse. But i think the reason you listed weights stronger: You will open with two Nurses. In fact, i can imagine loading up on as many Nurses as i can get, simply because they don't harm your deck. Unlike Chapel, where multiples are actively bad usually, Nurses become better in multiples. Note this would still apply if Nurse was mandatory, as getting 2-3 Nurses would allow you to clear out your deck faster than one, and still can trash each other after that.

At the danger of sounding like a bad advertiser, take a look at my Homunculus ("Asper's Cards" thread, no link as i'm on mobile, sorry), which started very similar to Nurse. I gradually weakened it until it took its final form, where it is relatively easy to aquire, but delayed. Not that several other Alchemy cards, like Scrying Pool or Apothecary, and Travellers follow a similar pattern. This is to say, Nurse doesn't need to cost $5, but it certainly needs to be slowed down or made unattractive in multiples.
A 4$ non-mandatory cantrip trasher wouldn't ruin the game like a 3$ or 2$ would but I think that 5$ is still a better price. Your very own Homunculus is evidence of that:

Homunculus is similar in strength to a non-mandatory cantrip trasher. It is obviously hard to equate its cost into coins due to the Potion trash thingy but one could compare it to Feast. Like Potion Feast costs 4$. During the turns you play/trash them Feast is better as you can buy something during the turn you play it (unless Markt Square and Homunculus are in the Kingdom, then you might open withboth) and Potion is better as you can play a terminal Action with it. I'd say that these relative (dis)advantages roughly balance each other out so the end results, Homunculus and a 5$ card, are comparable.
This is why I would argue that if Homunculus were priced "normally" it would be a 5$ card.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 04:04:47 pm »

Isn't Time Traveler almost strictly worse then candlestick maker?
Candlestick Maker: +1 Buy, +Coin Token, Not Terminal, Stays in your deck. Time Traveler: +1 Buy, +Coin Token, Not Terminal, Benefits Opponents?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 04:15:36 pm »

Isn't Time Traveler almost strictly worse then candlestick maker?
Candlestick Maker: +1 Buy, +Coin Token, Not Terminal, Stays in your deck. Time Traveler: +1 Buy, +Coin Token, Not Terminal, Benefits Opponents?
It is a event.
It still seems week
Maybe if it cost 1coin.
The point is for games with no +buy (or only Ruined Market or something) and your deck hits $12 and you want to save some of that money for later.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 05:40:51 pm »

At the danger of sounding like a bad advertiser, take a look at my Homunculus ("Asper's Cards" thread, no link as i'm on mobile, sorry), which started very similar to Nurse. I gradually weakened it until it took its final form, where it is relatively easy to aquire, but delayed. Not that several other Alchemy cards, like Scrying Pool or Apothecary, and Travellers follow a similar pattern. This is to say, Nurse doesn't need to cost $5, but it certainly needs to be slowed down or made unattractive in multiples.
A 4$ non-mandatory cantrip trasher wouldn't ruin the game like a 3$ or 2$ would but I think that 5$ is still a better price. Your very own Homunculus is evidence of that:

Homunculus is similar in strength to a non-mandatory cantrip trasher. It is obviously hard to equate its cost into coins due to the Potion trash thingy but one could compare it to Feast. Like Potion Feast costs 4$. During the turns you play/trash them Feast is better as you can buy something during the turn you play it (unless Markt Square and Homunculus are in the Kingdom, then you might open withboth) and Potion is better as you can play a terminal Action with it. I'd say that these relative (dis)advantages roughly balance each other out so the end results, Homunculus and a 5$ card, are comparable.
This is why I would argue that if Homunculus were priced "normally" it would be a 5$ card.

Yes, i'm not disagreeing with you. My main idea was just to point out that there are other ways to make a card more "expensive" than by costing them higher, which might be able to avoid the "race to hit $5" problem. Travellers, for example. Or a clause like "When you buy this, shuffle your discard pile into your deck." so it always misses the shuffle (it should still cost more). Or some restriction like "You can not buy this while you have no action cards in play" (now that i think of it, this is kind of like Peddler). Or a similar thing with "You may not buy this if you have less than 4 different cards in play". Or costing it at $3+, where you gain a Copper per $1 you overpaid less than, let's say, $3. Or a (regular) Potion cost. Or... There are a lot of ways to do it.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 12:04:37 am »

I fixed Time Traveller to give opponents shifting benefit. The original idea of benefit was more chance to play cards opponents gained, so this still works.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 03:33:23 am »

Yes, i'm not disagreeing with you. My main idea was just to point out that there are other ways to make a card more "expensive" than by costing them higher, which might be able to avoid the "race to hit $5" problem. Travellers, for example. Or a clause like "When you buy this, shuffle your discard pile into your deck." so it always misses the shuffle (it should still cost more). Or some restriction like "You can not buy this while you have no action cards in play" (now that i think of it, this is kind of like Peddler). Or a similar thing with "You may not buy this if you have less than 4 different cards in play". Or costing it at $3+, where you gain a Copper per $1 you overpaid less than, let's say, $3. Or a (regular) Potion cost. Or... There are a lot of ways to do it.
Definitely. If somebody can pull this off, like you did with Homunculus, this is cool. One way that comes to mind is to have a terminal 4$ that gains non-supply one-shots. Not all that original, it is just like Marauder-Spoils, but I think that it is a fairly straightforward way to have a quasi 5$ card that everybody can get at roughly the same time.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 05:22:00 am »

Definitely. If somebody can pull this off, like you did with Homunculus, this is cool. One way that comes to mind is to have a terminal 4$ that gains non-supply one-shots. Not all that original, it is just like Marauder-Spoils, but I think that it is a fairly straightforward way to have a quasi 5$ card that everybody can get at roughly the same time.

Thanks. And sorry MJ, i didn't want to distract from Nun... Another way would be some Dark-Ages-y two-step card with a condition, like Urchin.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 02:54:56 am »

New idea.

Gold Rush
cost 5 - Treasure
You may choose a Treasure card in your hand. Play it twice.
I wanted Throne Room for Treasure. First, I copied Counterfeit's clause, but this is clearer.

Silver Rush
cost 5 - Treasure - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn:
+$2
+1Buy
Each other player gains a Silver.
Treasure-Duration card. Maybe too similar to Merchant Ship.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:28:14 am by majiponi »

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 07:07:31 am »

Gold Rush(A)
cost 5 - Treasure
You may play a treasure from your hand twice.
This is similar to Magic Mirror, to my knowledge the only decent Action-Treasure card so far.
The wording "This is that card until either leaves play." is IMO a bit better than "play a card twice" but it is not like the latter is unlcear.

While your card is moderately weaker than Magic Mirror I would nonetheless test it at 4$. When you have two or three Golds in your deck such that Gold Rush becomes a worthwile purchase you often hit 6 and thus buy a Gold and when you hit 5 you might rather want an Action Card.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 01:46:50 am »

Gold Rush
cost 5 - Treasure
You may choose a Treasure from your hand. Play it twice.
This is similar to Magic Mirror, to my knowledge the only decent Action-Treasure card so far.

While your card is moderately weaker than Magic Mirror I would nonetheless test it at 4$. When you have two or three Golds in your deck such that Gold Rush becomes a worthwile purchase you often hit 6 and thus buy a Gold and when you hit 5 you might rather want an Action Card.
I sometimes tried Action-Treasure, but I didn't know Magic-Mirror. This is worth at least $1(Copper copying), usually $2(in order to buy it, you need some Silvers), often $3(Gold copying), sometimes $4(Fool's Gold) or more(Platinum, Bank, etc.). Unlike Counterfeit, this does not need trash. Sometimes overpowering for cost 4. I felt the domination of Big-Money is not fun, so I priced $5.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 07:57:59 am »

Broom
cost 3 - Action - Attack - Reaction
+$1
Each other player gains a Curse.
When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, set aside that card on your Broom mat.

This card seems very unfun. First, it's a curser, and when cursing is good, you want to open Broom/Broom, which leads to awfully sloggy games since the card does nothing for your economy.

If cursing isn't very good due to heavy trashing, you can probably build an engine, and in any engine I want to buy this simply for the reaction which is a super easy way to avoid stalling when greening and takes the whole "dealing with green cards" theme away from the game. Island is closest to this, and for that you still have to play the card, plus it is one-shot.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 05:55:27 pm »

Gold Rush
cost 5 - Treasure

I sometimes tried Action-Treasure, but I didn't know Magic-Mirror. This is worth at least $1(Copper copying), usually $2(in order to buy it, you need some Silvers), often $3(Gold copying), sometimes $4(Fool's Gold) or more(Platinum, Bank, etc.). Unlike Counterfeit, this does not need trash. Sometimes overpowering for cost 4. I felt the domination of Big-Money is not fun, so I priced $5.
Huh? The fact that Counterfeit trashes is an asset and not a liability before the endgame when you trash non-Copper. Gold Rush, a plain Treasure TR, is definitely too weak for 5$. Big Money rarely wins so there is no need to be afraid of a card that makes it stronger.
Its main problem though is that it is too narrow. It makes no sense at all to buy this before you have a few Gold unless there is no decent 4$ and 5$ card. So unlike other Treasure cards you only want this for BM and Colony games (it is also OK in a game with Venture once the Venture pile is empty).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:02:31 pm by tristan »

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 11:23:56 am »

Huh? The fact that Counterfeit trashes is an asset and not a liability before the endgame when you trash non-Copper. Gold Rush, a plain Treasure TR, is definitely too weak for 5$. Big Money rarely wins so there is no need to be afraid of a card that makes it stronger.
Its main problem though is that it is too narrow. It makes no sense at all to buy this before you have a few Gold unless there is no decent 4$ and 5$ card. So unlike other Treasure cards you only want this for BM and Colony games (it is also OK in a game with Venture once the Venture pile is empty).
Fmm... I don't think Big-Money is weak (especially in multiplayer games). But I agree this is too solid, narrow, and unattractive. So I added new clause.
Gold Rush
cost 5 - Treasure
At the start of Clean-up this turn, you may choose a Treasure card you have in play. If you discard it from play this turn, put it on your deck.
This can wait for the collision. GR-GR-GR-Gold-Gold enables you buying Colony every turn.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 01:44:08 pm »

Treasure with Herbalist ability sounds good.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 08:59:00 pm »
+1

New one. I am wondering its name.
Magic Lamp
cost 2+ - Action
+2 Cards
Use a Lamp token. If you do, choose one: +1 Action; or +$1; or trash a card from your hand.
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, take a Lamp token.
Fixed.
Broom(B)
cost 4 - Action - Reaction
Set aside a card from your hand.
When you gain a card, you may reveal this. If you do, set aside that card.
New one.
Mirror of Erised
cost 4 - Action
Gain a Curse and a card costing up to $6, putting them on top of your deck.
Of course this name is from Harry Potter.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:04:25 am by majiponi »

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 04:13:59 am »

Another. Alt-VP card! (Just a prototype)
Pastoral Land
cost $4 - Treasure - Victory
Worth $0
When you play this, take a Pastoral token. You cannot buy cards in this turn.
Worth 1 vp for every Pastoral token you have.
This needs
1. to avoid repetition of moves
2. to be balanced
Please give me your tips!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:27:41 am by majiponi »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 05:14:22 am »

Another. Alt-VP card! (Just a prototype)
Pastoral Land
cost $4 - Treasure - Victory
Worth $0
When you play this, take a Pastoral token. You cannot buy cards in this turn.
Worth 1 vp for every Pastoral token you have.
This needs
1. to avoid repetition of moves
2. to be balanced
Please give me your tips!

It's a lot like a VP token card, just that you get one VP per Pastoral you have and you lose part of the VP if Pastoral gets trashed. It's much too dominant. Usually, VP cards try to move the game towards its end. Pastoral actually keeps you from ending the game. Getting more of these than your opponents is almost an instant win. I recommend limiting the tokens to 5 per player.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 05:43:19 am »
+1

New prototype.
Pastoral Land
cost $4 - Victory - Reaction
Worth 1 vp for every 2 Victory cards on your Tavern mat (round down).
At the start of your Buy phase, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, put any number of Victory cards from your hand on your Tavern mat. You can't buy cards in this turn.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 11:21:50 am »

Another. Stronger Outpost.
Twin Princesses
cost 6P - Action - Duration
If the previous turn wasn't yours, take another turn after this one.
Shortest implementation. Originally it costed 8.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 03:10:08 pm »

Magic Lamp
cost 2+ - Action
+2 Cards
Use a Lamp token. If you do, choose one: +1 Action; or +$1; or trash a card from your hand.
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, take a Lamp token.
This is easily my favorite from this thread. Reminds me of LF's trade token mechanic. I think I'll add it to my cards to print and play with.
It might be better with a base cost of $1, but we'll test and find out.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 03:11:28 pm by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.