Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

MJ's Cards

(1/19) > >>

majiponi:
To build another fun expansion, I will add new ideas here.

Old topics:

--- Quote from: majiponi on January 07, 2016, 11:14:35 pm ---Nurse
cost 2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: majiponi on February 24, 2016, 06:58:03 am ---Time Traveller
cost 2 - Event
+1 Buy
Take a Coin token.
Each other player draws and discards a card.

--- End quote ---

Another one.

--- Quote ---Broom
cost 3 - Action - Attack - Reaction
+$1
Each other player gains a Curse.When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, set aside that card on your Broom mat.
--- End quote ---

tristan:
A non-mandatory cantrip trasher has to cost 5$. Note that mandatory cantrip trashers like Junk Dealer and Upgrade become either risky during the later part of the game (I don't have any junk in my hand so do I risk playing the card)) or even dead cards if you are totally out of junk.

Time Traveller is probably too weak. On average a card is better than a coin so why would I want to get a Coin token (admittedly stronger than an instant coin) and gift my opponents a card? I think the better way to nerf this Event is to restrict it to "once per turn".

Broom is probably OK although I would first try it at 4$. Not that there is a big difference between 3$ and 4$ but as it is an attack-defense Broom could be so strong that it is often/always right to open with two of them. At a price of 4$ you cannot normally do so.

Roadrunner7671:
I think nurse costs $2 so that everyone can open with two of them and it's not a race to hit $5.

tristan:
Would you also argue that Junk Dealer and Upgrade should cost 2$ such that everybody could open with them?

This implicit comparison with Chapel is dubious for a simple reason: Chapel is a terminal whereas this is a cantrip. This is also why you rarely want more than one Chapel whereas you frequently want two cantrip trashers.

So besides being totally mispriced Nurse could imply that in a lot of Kingdoms the best opening is two Nurses.

Asper:

--- Quote from: tristan on March 15, 2016, 06:25:50 am ---Would you also argue that Junk Dealer and Upgrade should cost 2$ such that everybody could open with them?

This implicit comparison with Chapel is dubious for a simple reason: Chapel is a terminal whereas this is a cantrip. This is also why you rarely want more than one Chapel whereas you frequently want two cantrip trashers.

So besides being totally mispriced Nurse could imply that in a lot of Kingdoms the best opening is two Nurses.

--- End quote ---

I think there are reasons in favour of comparing Nurse to Chapel, and reasons against it. Obviously, allowing each player access to Chapel because it's good is something you could apply to Nurse. But i think the reason you listed weights stronger: You will open with two Nurses. In fact, i can imagine loading up on as many Nurses as i can get, simply because they don't harm your deck. Unlike Chapel, where multiples are actively bad usually, Nurses become better in multiples. Note this would still apply if Nurse was mandatory, as getting 2-3 Nurses would allow you to clear out your deck faster than one, and still can trash each other after that.

At the danger of sounding like a bad advertiser, take a look at my Homunculus ("Asper's Cards" thread, no link as i'm on mobile, sorry), which started very similar to Nurse. I gradually weakened it until it took its final form, where it is relatively easy to aquire, but delayed. Note that several other Alchemy cards, like Scrying Pool or Apothecary, and Travellers follow a similar pattern. This is to say, Nurse doesn't need to cost $5, but it certainly needs to be slowed down or made unattractive in multiples.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version