Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16  All

Author Topic: Wispers of the Old Gods  (Read 95246 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Wispers of the Old Gods
« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2016, 07:55:03 pm »

Finally got a legendary off an arena pack; N'zoth the Corrupter. Thinking maybe some kind of deathrattle Rogue deck.

I'm seeing very tough N'Zoth Paladins in the high ranks. Deathrattle/Beast Hunters with N'Zoth are formidable as well.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 28, 2016, 08:12:01 pm »

Any good uses for Y'Shaarj yet?  Opened it as my first OG Legendary.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 28, 2016, 08:14:49 pm »

I've seen some people run Astral Communion Druid with him.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 28, 2016, 08:40:33 pm »

Opened 58 packs got 163 duplicates of which 11 were Feral Rage. No legendaries. WTF.

That said, Beast Druid is proving quite viable for now.

Did you really open 58 Old Gods packs without a single legendary? There's lots of statistical evidence that this is impossible.

Definitely yes, unless C'thun counts. I thoughts odds were 1 in 40 but not that you were guaranteed a legendary within 40. I mean by the same odds I could also get 40 legendaries in 40 packs.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:28 pm »

I've seen some people run Astral Communion Druid with him.

Is that an actual thing?  Like, have a deck with 2 Innervates, 2 ACs, and a ton of 8-10 cost cards, and hope to draw/mulligan into Innervate/AC early on?  That seems like a losing proposition on average...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 29, 2016, 01:27:57 am »

Well, I've tried Hearthstone, because new format and free packs. I've played enough to get all free packs, level Mage, Paladin and Druid to level 10, got the free Arena run (went 2-3) and beat all Expert AIs, so no more freebies for me.

It's fun, but I've invested more time in Duelyst already, and feel like you have more control over your strategy in that other game (even not taking into account all the crazy RNG in Hearthstone).

I do like that they are willing to try pretty crazy stuff, and I was surprised to see how powerful seemingly random effects such as "Cabalist's tome" or "A light in the Darkness" tend to be. It's interesting to see them explore this design space where other games don't really dare go.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #331 on: April 29, 2016, 02:21:08 am »

It's fun, but I've invested more time in Duelyst already, and feel like you have more control over your strategy in that other game (even not taking into account all the crazy RNG in Hearthstone).

Well, it usually feels like you have more control over your strategy in the game that you have been playing for a longer time, where you are presumably a much better player. I haven't tried out Duelyst and it might be true that you have more control over your strategy there, but I think that, in Hearthstone, you have tons and tons of control over your strategy if you know how to control it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 29, 2016, 02:45:09 am »
+1

Well, it usually feels like you have more control over your strategy in the game that you have been playing for a longer time, where you are presumably a much better player. I haven't tried out Duelyst and it might be true that you have more control over your strategy there, but I think that, in Hearthstone, you have tons and tons of control over your strategy if you know how to control it.

You know, even the top players say that most of their games just come down to who draws on-curve. There is tons of skill, the concept of "top player" wouldn't exist if there wasn't any skill tested, but there really is a lot of RNG in hearthstone.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 29, 2016, 07:24:59 am »

Did you really open 58 Old Gods packs without a single legendary? There's lots of statistical evidence that this is impossible.

Definitely yes, unless C'thun counts. I thoughts odds were 1 in 40 but not that you were guaranteed a legendary within 40. I mean by the same odds I could also get 40 legendaries in 40 packs.
Are you sure you didn't miss one? Can you double check (try searching your collection for "legendary")?
There is a ton of data that strongly suggests the chance of a legendary increases after not having gotten one in 30 packs and reaches 1  after 40 packs: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3zaeou/pity_timer_on_packs_opening_analysiskinda_proofed/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:30:33 am by Watno »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 29, 2016, 10:37:54 am »

I agree with XP, a lot of the time it feels like whoever draws into a 1-2-3-4 is pretty much sure to win (of course, it depends on the matchup). Player 2 gets the coin and an extra card, so they have a reasonable amount of control over the early game, but Player 1 just seems to be at the mercy of the draw, IMHO.

The main differences are that in Duelyst:

-Both players start with 5 cards, can replace two of them before the game starts, and can replace one more at the beginning of each turn; replacing is guaranteed to draw a different card.
-Player one starts with 2 mana, player two with 3 mana. There is extra mana on the board, so you can sacrifice a bit of early game pressure to smooth out your curve. This means a lot more cards are playable early game (though if Player one somehow doesn't get a 2-drop or two 1-drops things look pretty dire for her).
-There is a board! The way you place your minions can be just as important, or more, than what you play. It also allows you to protect frail minions without needing Taunt.

It is true that I might be biased because I have been playing Duelyst longer.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 29, 2016, 11:51:12 am »
+5

If you want complete control over your strategy, Prismata is where you should be.  No RNG.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #336 on: April 29, 2016, 11:59:04 am »

If you want complete control over your strategy, Prismata is where you should be.  No RNG.

By the way, you should actually be on Prismata. It's a great game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 29, 2016, 12:36:20 pm »

That game scratches a different itch though, and it's a bit too fast-paced for me. Also I find chill games too annoying...

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 29, 2016, 12:53:41 pm »

Are you sure you didn't miss one? Can you double check (try searching your collection for "legendary")?
There is a ton of data that strongly suggests the chance of a legendary increases after not having gotten one in 30 packs and reaches 1  after 40 packs: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3zaeou/pity_timer_on_packs_opening_analysiskinda_proofed/

Looks like you are right. I got a Malkorkok (Warrior Legendary). During my pack opening the animations got bugged so the cards flipped but didn't have the halo burst of color for Epic/Rare/Legendary so I must have missed that one. I wouldn't have caught it except I searched like you suggested. I had previously filtered for WOG cards and that guy was by himself on a second page I hadn't seen earlier.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 29, 2016, 01:09:06 pm »

Congrats on your new legendary :P

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 29, 2016, 04:47:58 pm »

I had enough gold saved up to buy 30 packs. I then got 13 free packs from Blizzard. The 40th pack had my only non-C'Thun legendary. The Boogeymonster. Fun times. :D

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #341 on: April 29, 2016, 05:01:08 pm »

I got 2 Legendaries from the 5 packs quest packs. The Priest guy who puts 1/1 copies of minions into play and the 10/10 who digs for another minion from your deck every turn.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 29, 2016, 05:57:13 pm »

I had enough gold saved up to buy 30 packs. I then got 13 free packs from Blizzard. The 40th pack had my only non-C'Thun legendary. The Boogeymonster. Fun times. :D

It's time to BOOGEY! BAYBAY!

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 29, 2016, 06:00:33 pm »

Opened 27 packs, no legend :( Luckily, after nerfs, I have about 17000 dust stashed (And I didn't dust non-duplicates in quite some time, neither).

Xaril is all I expected him to be. He is pulling some serious weight in my Maly/Miracle Rogue. Kinda like 3d Tomb Pillager, and Pillager is probably the second most important card in that deck, after Gadgzetan.

Toxin comparison:  card ~= 2 damage > Stealth > 3 attack > Shadowstep.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 06:03:16 pm by Grujah »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 29, 2016, 07:01:12 pm »

Speaking of Tomb Pillager, I was playing one Rogue who kept Unearthed Raptoring TPs, and I just kept killing them, and then there was a N'Zoth in there somewhere, until eventually this Rogue had a 10 card hand, 9 of which were Coins.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 29, 2016, 07:04:09 pm »

By the way, you should actually be on Prismata. It's a great game.

I was in on the Kickstarter way back when.  If it didn't take 20-30 minutes to find a game, I'd be playing that and not HS... but... well, yeah.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 29, 2016, 07:06:14 pm »

Opened 27 packs, no legend :( Luckily, after nerfs, I have about 17000 dust stashed (And I didn't dust non-duplicates in quite some time, neither).

Xaril is all I expected him to be. He is pulling some serious weight in my Maly/Miracle Rogue. Kinda like 3d Tomb Pillager, and Pillager is probably the second most important card in that deck, after Gadgzetan.

I actually screwed this one up doing my Rogue quest.  I got Xaril off Journey Below, and played Brann->Xaril... and totally should have immediately played the Shadowstep poison on Xaril to play it again the following turn.  Then again, I believe my opponent quit after that round anyway...

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 29, 2016, 07:17:12 pm »

I actually screwed this one up doing my Rogue quest.  I got Xaril off Journey Below, and played Brann->Xaril... and totally should have immediately played the Shadowstep poison on Xaril to play it again the following turn.  Then again, I believe my opponent quit after that round anyway...

My only experience playing Xaril is by discovering him with Journey Below in my Deathrattle Rogue deck. I'm usually like "naw, Tomb Pillager has a better body" or "Huckster fits my curve right now" and don't end up picking Xaril.

A few times I'm like "okay, I have enough room to afford picking Xaril here" and then I'm pleasantly surprised by how useful he ends up being. Xaril seems like a strong addition to all sorts of Rogue decks.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 29, 2016, 07:22:49 pm »

I don't know how good it is, but Evolve is a fun Shaman card. Don't have the Evolve-on-a-4/5-stick card, or else I'd play it.

It works especially nicely with Tuskarr Totemic and Jeweled Scarab.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 29, 2016, 08:46:34 pm »

Is there any real point to Renounce Darkness?  It turns your constructed deck into a coin-flip brawl.  Why is this at Epic?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.