Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16  All

Author Topic: Wispers of the Old Gods  (Read 95245 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Re: Wispers of the Old Gods
« Reply #300 on: April 27, 2016, 01:05:01 am »

Really?  I've only played about seven games today and seen C'thun played in about half of them.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 27, 2016, 01:35:44 am »

I've only played two games, one against a Hunter pretending face was going to be a thing, one against a warrior where I got the upper hand with some luck.

But that's not a representative sample, and I'm literally playing with the Druid "Old Gods" recipe with some relatively random replacements (because I only have like half the cards.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 27, 2016, 03:12:26 am »

Brann is a key card in my C'Thun Druid.  Draw and hard removal are the weaknesses that I've yet to really overcome.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 27, 2016, 08:52:07 am »

I've had some pretty sweet success with control warrior with C'Thun. Unless you get your C'Thun up to like 40 or something, playing him won't outright win you the game. And that leaves you open to actually lose. So I don't focus entirely on C'Thun.

Either way, here's the list I've been running.

2 Execute
2 Shield Slam
2 Fiery Waraxe
1 Revenge
2 Slam
2 Beckoner of Evil
2 Bash
2 Fierce Monkey
2 C'Thun's Chosen
1 Elise Starseeker
2 Brawl
1 Emperor Thaurissan
1 Justicar Trueheart
1 Kodorider
2 Ancient Shieldbearer
1 Doomcaller
1 Grommash Hellscream
1 Ragnaros the Firelord
1 Ysera
1 C'Thun

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 27, 2016, 11:31:00 am »

I'll clarify on my earlier statement about piss poor packs: the 163 duplicates were above and beyond the 2 slots before they are just worth dust. So, yeah, I got like 40 cards total.

Anyhow, about C'thun, everyone seems to be running him but I've only seen him put on the board twice. Once he wrecked me completely that very turn. The other time he was damn near 20/20 and taunt and he whiffed my board (left a bunch at 1 health) so I Hexed him and Bloodlusted for the win. That one deserved the Wow emote.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 27, 2016, 01:26:22 pm »

Cthun is good, but you can't just slap all cthun cards to win. I feel warrior uses him more like a board clear +minion, then plays him more than once. I'm running a similar warrior deck, but with more draw. You should test the new 4 mana warrior taunt. I have 1 in my deck and it's really turning out well.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 27, 2016, 03:00:36 pm »

Brann is a key card in my C'Thun Druid.  Draw and hard removal are the weaknesses that I've yet to really overcome.

Willing to post your deck?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 27, 2016, 04:09:15 pm »

Sure.

Innervate x2
Living Roots x2
Wild Growth x2
Wrath x2
Beckoner of Evil x2
Acolyte of Pain
Brann
Coldlight Oracle
Disciple of C'Thun x2
Twilight Elder x2
Swipe x2
Klaxxi Amber-Weaver x2
Big Game Hunter
Druid of the Claw x2
Dark Arrakoa x2
Emperor Thaurissan
Twin Emperor Vek'lor
Doomcaller
C'Thun

Acolyte/Oracle are there for draw, but I'm not convinced they are the best option.  Maybe Grove Tender instead?  I think Living Roots could swap out for something if you need more board early, but I often like having 2 damage -- although the Panda guys have the battlecry.  I would play that card that draws a 10 mana card into hand if I had it to help get C'Thun into my hand.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 27, 2016, 05:18:30 pm »

Grove Tender is in Wild. Part of GvG. Nourish is draw, although it's slow draw. The upside is it can be more ramp if you have lots of big cards in hand.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 27, 2016, 05:29:59 pm »

I managed to progress comfortably to Rank 5 in Standard with this Highlander Reno-N'Zoth deck with an emphasis on card cycling. All cards below are single-copy.

Backstab
Shadowstep
Deadly Poison
Journey Below
Bladed Cultist
Betrayal
Eviscerate
Shiv
Acidic Swamp Ooze
Defias Ringleader
Loot Hoarder
Undercity Huckster
Fan Of Knives
Shadow Strike
Brann Bronzebeard
Earthen Ring Farseer
SI:7 Agent
Unearthed Raptor
Polluted Hoarder
Refreshment Vendor
Southsea Squidface
Spellbreaker
Tomb Pillager
Assassinate
Azure Drake
Dark Iron Skulker
Shadowcaster
Reno Jackson
Sylvanas Windrunner
N'Zoth, the Corruptor

The most critical decisions tend to involve how to use Journey Below, Shadowstep, and Shadowcaster. There are the most flexible cards in the deck that help gear your deck for all sorts of different play styles. Against Aggro, you want to bounce/copy things that will keep you alive. Against Midrange you want to make efficient trades and prepare answers for their power plays. Against Control/Fatigue you want to play for long term value. Particularly, you want to hold onto N'Zoth against opponents with massive board clears (Brawl, Twisting Nether, Equality, etc.) until you can bounce it back with Shadowstep on the same turn. Just like with Anyfin Can Happen, the second play of N'Zoth is powered by the minions summoned on the first play.

I'm looking to maybe swap Betrayal, Unearthed Raptor, or Spellbreaker with Assassin's Blade. I find myself with so many opportunities to get more value for resurrected Southsea Squidface if I had a weapon with more durability while taking advantage of Reno's heal to offset the face damage I receive.

Some additional notes:
- Journey below is awesome given that Rogue's class deathrattle minions a very diverse. Huckster, Tomb Pillager, Xaril, Anub'Arak can all be very helping against the right opponent and situation. Nice activator for Bladed Cultist on Turn 1 with the Coin too, but that is very rare in a deck without 2 copies of both.
- Shadowcaster is so much more versatile than I ever could have imagined. When are playing a class like Rogue that excels at early game tempo with a deck chock full of cards with awesome card text, you find yourself with an abundance of good targets for it on the board. The best is copying Reno against a Face Shaman who ignores your Reno. Very helpful against that deck, which seems to be better than ever.

As an aside, C'Thun seems to have put an end to the fatigue meta that preceded WotOG. C'Thun can often seal a game a player was going to win in fatigue anyway, putting a quick end to an already sealed game. It's an excellent burst against fatigue too. If the devs wanted to have games end around Turn 10, then mission accomplished I'd say.

Edit: Yeah overall I'm having difficulty finding good threats for this deck besides N'Zoth. Any ideas?

Edit 2: I thought this was the Constructed Discussion Subforum. I meant to post this there. Spectacular!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:42:29 pm by markusin »

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 27, 2016, 07:54:39 pm »

I got 2 ravaging ghouls in my free 3 packs, so I rolled with it and am trying some Patron stuff.

Will post a list at some point, but it definitely needs tweaking.  It's holding its own at around rank 9 at the moment, and might climb a bit as I get used to it.  It's kind of odd though - doesn't really play like Patron did pre-patch.

I'm trying variants both with and without C'thun, the non-C'thun being (predictably) the more successful so far.

Ranked is already so much more fun than it was previously.  Had some cheesy Yogg-losses as you might expect (one mage cleared my board and got 4 Bites and two Charges :S)  My best loss so far is when a mage had a Pyro in their deck, got one from Spellslinger and one from Ethereal Conjurer and then played them out on 3 consecutive turns.  Interactivity ftw.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 28, 2016, 10:56:40 am »

I've had great results with a C'Thun warrior list (I tried it with Patrons, but didn't like it and moved it more into a controlly territory). I don't own Gromm, but would consider adding him to this strongly if I did.

2 x Execute
1 x Shield Slam (I only own 1, but am working on a second specifically for this deck)
2 x Whirlwind
2 x Cruel Taskmasters
2 x Beckoner of Evil
1 x Armorsmith
2 x Fiery War Axe
2 x Acolyte of Pain
2 x Shield Block
2 x Disciple of Cthun
1 x Ravaging Ghoul
2 x Bloodhoof Brave
2 x Crazed Worshippers
1 x Sylvanas
2 x Ancient Shieldbearer
1 x Twin Emperor Vek'lor <----This guy is an auto include in ANY C'thun deck.
1 x Doomcaller
1 x Alexstraza
1 x C'thun

The goal is basically to just survive until you either overwhelm them (happens sometimes against Aggro decks that you don't need C'Thun because your minions are just generally beefy on curve minions) or draw into C'thun who is at 13-18 size usually and then win off of that (or failing that the second time you play him because you saved your Doomcaller will do it).

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 28, 2016, 12:36:22 pm »

The turn timer should really be paused while Yogg's effect is resolved. Even if you play him immediately at the start of your turn, you basically have to start issuing commands before you see the board state after everything resolved to even have a chance to do anything.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 28, 2016, 12:44:43 pm »

So is this a near-mandatory craft?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 28, 2016, 12:59:06 pm »

Only if you plan on playing a C'Thun deck.  He's not great unless you trigger.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 28, 2016, 01:16:22 pm »

Only if you plan on playing a C'Thun deck.  He's not great unless you trigger.

Yeah, I'm not sure if C'thun decks will be super strong yet, but if they are Twin Emp will be used in most of them I'd predict.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 28, 2016, 02:11:11 pm »
+1

The turn timer should really be paused while Yogg's effect is resolved. Even if you play him immediately at the start of your turn, you basically have to start issuing commands before you see the board state after everything resolved to even have a chance to do anything.
The turn timer should be paused whenever animations are occurring, as far as I'm concerned.  It's such a stupid issue to have.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 28, 2016, 02:29:54 pm »

The turn timer should be paused whenever animations are occurring, as far as I'm concerned.  It's such a stupid issue to have.
The problem with that is that you could make turns take indefinitely long, which IMO would be a much worse issue. I'm sure there's a happy medium to be found, perhaps a workaround for Yogg specifically, but I don't think it's as simple as that.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 28, 2016, 03:12:45 pm »

The problem with that is that you could make turns take indefinitely long, which IMO would be a much worse issue. I'm sure there's a happy medium to be found, perhaps a workaround for Yogg specifically, but I don't think it's as simple as that.

I thought they said the timer would be paused for Yogg?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 28, 2016, 03:17:17 pm »

I thought they said the timer would be paused for Yogg?
This was my impression as well. Maybe it's bugged and doesn't work out like that in the live game.

Edit: Or maybe it only doesn't take up turn time for the opponent, not the player who played Yogg-Saron.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:33:17 pm by markusin »

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 28, 2016, 03:44:22 pm »

The problem with that is that you could make turns take indefinitely long,
How so? You can only trigger a finite number of animations in one turn.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 28, 2016, 04:41:37 pm »

There are ways to trigger infinite actions on a turn. For example, have 3 copies of that new Pirate reducing weapon cost by 2 in play, and then keep on playing Tentacles for Arms (start with 2 in hand, when you play the second, the first goes back to your hand).

Anway, the turn timer is definitely not paused for Yogg. Yogg's actions an go past the normal time, but it's not possiböe to do anything after he's done.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 28, 2016, 04:55:08 pm »

Sure.

Innervate x2
Living Roots x2
Wild Growth x2
Wrath x2
Beckoner of Evil x2
Acolyte of Pain
Brann
Coldlight Oracle
Disciple of C'Thun x2
Twilight Elder x2
Swipe x2
Klaxxi Amber-Weaver x2
Big Game Hunter
Druid of the Claw x2
Dark Arrakoa x2
Emperor Thaurissan
Twin Emperor Vek'lor
Doomcaller
C'Thun

Acolyte/Oracle are there for draw, but I'm not convinced they are the best option.  Maybe Grove Tender instead?  I think Living Roots could swap out for something if you need more board early, but I often like having 2 damage -- although the Panda guys have the battlecry.  I would play that card that draws a 10 mana card into hand if I had it to help get C'Thun into my hand.

I've swapped out the Oracle for a Nourish and one Living Roots for Sylvanas.  That has helped some.  Also, the Acolyte is out for the Harbinger (start of next turn put a 10 cost in your hand).  I have yet to have it not silenced or killed, though.  It's like a taunt.

No hard removal is the worst.  I think the Warrior version, like Jorbles posted, will be dominant.  Can't kill the 30 Armor warrior.  Justicar would be a good addition.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:57:11 pm by ashersky »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 28, 2016, 07:21:09 pm »

Finally got a legendary off an arena pack; N'zoth the Corrupter. Thinking maybe some kind of deathrattle Rogue deck.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 28, 2016, 07:33:23 pm »

Opened 58 packs got 163 duplicates of which 11 were Feral Rage. No legendaries. WTF.

That said, Beast Druid is proving quite viable for now.

Did you really open 58 Old Gods packs without a single legendary? There's lots of statistical evidence that this is impossible.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16  All

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.