Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16  All

Author Topic: Wispers of the Old Gods  (Read 95238 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Wispers of the Old Gods
« Reply #225 on: April 14, 2016, 06:00:47 pm »

(or Malygos???)
Yeah, that'd be sweet, but Malygos costing 9 mana makes it hard to combo. Imagine if there were a way to reduce the cost of Shadowcaster to 1 mana...

Use it one itself! I figured it out! That's a real late game play though. You seem to shadowcaster another copy on turn 10, the earliest, then also have not played the malygos. But still a really cool concept.

This is also decent with Xaril and Undercity Huckster that Rogue is getting in this expansion. It seems then that there are plenty of ways to get value out of this card even ignoring the wombo-combos.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2016, 09:29:24 pm »

Interesting card, maybe the most interesting one they've announced for WOTOG so far. It's a little like raptor except they figured out a clever design to make it combo with anything that has beneficial card text. Without text on the copied minion, shadowcaster's only 4/4+1/1 for 6 mana, which is about 1.5 mana overcosted, unlike raptor which isn't overcosted at all even if it doesn't copy a deathrattle.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2016, 09:35:56 pm »
+1

Interesting card, maybe the most interesting one they've announced for WOTOG so far. It's a little like raptor except they figured out a clever design to make it combo with anything that has beneficial card text.
I dunno if you saw Herald Volazj, but it uses the same mechanic, though it summons the minions directly. I am curious how it'll work, though... In the Miniature Warfare Tavern Brawl you couldn't silence or bounce minions to remove the stat change. Will this be the same?

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 15, 2016, 05:26:21 am »

Interesting card, maybe the most interesting one they've announced for WOTOG so far. It's a little like raptor except they figured out a clever design to make it combo with anything that has beneficial card text.
I dunno if you saw Herald Volazj, but it uses the same mechanic, though it summons the minions directly. I am curious how it'll work, though... In the Miniature Warfare Tavern Brawl you couldn't silence or bounce minions to remove the stat change. Will this be the same?
That's a good point that Volazj has a similar mechanic, although in that case it doesn't work with battlecries, which I think makes it less interesting.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 15, 2016, 10:56:59 am »

That's a good point that Volazj has a similar mechanic, although in that case it doesn't work with battlecries, which I think makes it less interesting.

It'll work with battlecries because it goes into your hand. Volazj puts minion on the board, so battlecries don't work. In that sense I thing the rogue minion is stronger.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 17, 2016, 03:04:19 pm »

Druid gets another C'Thun synergy card. Once again, it does not pay a stat penalty for its C'Thun buff, despite giving him +3/+3 even.

Dark Arakkoa
http://www.hearthpwn.com/forums/hearthstone-general/card-discussion/133021-new-druid-card-dark-arakkoa
6 Mana Druid Common Minion
5/7
Taunt, Battlecry: Give your C'Thun +3/+3 (wherever it is).

Maybe they really are going to gut Druid's core cards, so they want to give Druid cards that take advantage of their ramp to compensate.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 17, 2016, 04:09:02 pm »

It's also 6mana, so that new 4 mana ramp card goes straight into playing this. It looks like C'Thun Druid will not run many, or any, 5 drops, with the intention of skipping 5mana to play big taunts and stay alive till the late game.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2016, 01:20:04 am »

Maybe they really are going to gut Druid's core cards, so they want to give Druid cards that take advantage of their ramp to compensate.

I hope so because otherwise this C'Thun Druid + Force/Savage will be disgusting.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2016, 04:03:02 pm »
+1

It's also 6mana, so that new 4 mana ramp card goes straight into playing this. It looks like C'Thun Druid will not run many, or any, 5 drops, with the intention of skipping 5mana to play big taunts and stay alive till the late game.

I don't think you cut Druid of the Claw ever.  But "not many", quite possibly.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 19, 2016, 06:57:03 pm »

Well, they've officially announced that WotOG will come out on April 26th. This release date fits into the optimistic estimation of late April to early May.

I've decided I'll get the pre-order. The way I see it, it will be very hard to predict what cards will be meta-defining in Standard and having a good base of WotOG cards that will be Standard viable for 2 years will be very helpful. Following the arrival of Standard, I'll have a much better understanding of how future cards will affect the meta, and can plan my craft choices accordingly. Plus I'd only have about 4k Gold by the expansion release. Not enough to round out my Standard collection I don't think.

In other news, I'm ~10 Warlock wins away from having a Golden Warlock hero, which will be my first golden hero.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2016, 01:33:28 pm »

Rest of the cards being revealed on stream right now: twitch.tv/playhearthstone

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2016, 01:36:18 pm »

I'm watching the stream right now. Some ridiculous cards being revealed.

Also, it seems there will be some quests that give free WotOG packs for winning games in Standard.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2016, 02:11:09 pm »
+1

I'm watching the stream right now. Some ridiculous cards being revealed.

Also, it seems there will be some quests that give free WotOG packs for winning games in Standard.

That Yogg ending...
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2016, 02:16:11 pm »
+1

And all the cards are on facebook now: https://www.facebook.com/Hearthstone/photos_stream

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2016, 02:47:12 pm »

And all the cards are on facebook now: https://www.facebook.com/Hearthstone/photos_stream

Is it really all of them? I think I only count a total of 9 warrior cards. I thought there was 12 class cards for each class.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2016, 02:58:23 pm »

Is it really all of them? I think I only count a total of 9 warrior cards. I thought there was 12 class cards for each class.

I remember seeing a Disguised Toast infographic that suggests it's 9 class cards for each class. I can't find it anymore though.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2016, 03:05:39 pm »

Well, if it is all the cards, C'Thun looks totally insane. Also some other really cool cards that make me want to try decks.

I really like the warrior legend, as well as the Druid one. Druid legend combos with Raven idol so well, and if ti stays out, which it probably won't, you can get so much value from your cards. I assume if both options are a target option you can only choose one target, like brann. So Keeper silences and dmgs one target, whiffing the silence if it's the hero.

EDIT: Also a lot of common big minions. Which is a really healthy thing for the game. New players can play a variety of decks without needed legendaries to feel like they can play slow decks. And it makes arena more interesting.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2016, 03:12:49 pm »

Well, if it is all the cards, C'Thun looks totally insane. Also some other really cool cards that make me want to try decks.

I really like the warrior legend, as well as the Druid one. Druid legend combos with Raven idol so well, and if ti stays out, which it probably won't, you can get so much value from your cards. I assume if both options are a target option you can only choose one target, like brann. So Keeper silences and dmgs one target, whiffing the silence if it's the hero.

EDIT: Also a lot of common big minions. Which is a really healthy thing for the game. New players can play a variety of decks without needed legendaries to feel like they can play slow decks. And it makes arena more interesting.

With regards to the Druid Legendary, I think Ben Brode said something along the lines of you doing each effect in the order they are normally presented. Like, left choice first and then the right one or the other way around. I think you choose the target for each choice. The coolest thing is that apparently it works on the transform choice minions too, and there are new tokens for the transform combos. So for example, there will be a new token for a 4/6 charge and taunt Druid of the Claw, and a new 5/5 token for Druid of the Flame.

The 8 mana reshuffle your dead C'Thun and buff it is menacing.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:13:58 pm by markusin »

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2016, 05:00:45 pm »
+1

Embrace the Shadow seems useful -- it's like a one-shot Auchenai Soulpriest.  So you can combo it with your CoH to clear the board without having your AS on the board.  I wonder if there will be some builds that play lots of the cheap heals for direct damage on one turn.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2016, 05:34:32 pm »

I like a lot of the big minions in this set. 6/8 taunt for 7 mana (Ironbark get rekt), 8 mana 6/10, 7 mana 5/5 Windfury Beast has potential with Tundra Rhino. They all have awesome art, and steer the random Minion curve up.

However, there's some really interesting stuff going on with the cheaper minions. 2/4 Taunt for 3 mana (mini Sen'jin), 1/4 taunt for 2 mana that even gives C'Thun taunt. Then there are the aggressive cards: 2 mana 3/1 Stealth in a world where you can already run Infiltrator, a bunch of class 1 drops, 3 mana 2/1 deal 2 damage (and buff C'Thun, nuts with Brann), 3 mana 1/5 Warlock card that gets buffed after each friendly summon (scary in Wild with Haunted Creeper on Turn 2). Some of these cards with fancy effects have keywords you might miss the first time. For example, that 2 mana 3/2 Mage minion with C'Thun synergy actually has +1 Spellpower.

I think one card in particular to watch out for is Forbidden Ancient (Druid card that with X/X stats where X is the mana spent). This is pretty crazy with Brann, getting more and more undercoated the more mana you spend on it. Kinda gimmicky, but it might see play somewhere.

I don't know how many of you watched the stream, but one highlight was the Shaman player going Hallazeal->Elemental Destruction->Eternal Sentinel(Shaman 2 mana 3/2 that unlocks mana crystals) for a board clear and a full heal.

Edit: I also like how they brought back the enrage mechanic a little bit. That 4 mana Taunt for Warrior is one of my favourite cards in the expansion. If you don't kill it, Warrior will activate it's enrage and kill one of you mid-sized bodies.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:40:12 pm by markusin »

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2016, 05:40:16 pm »

I think one card in particular to watch out for is Forbidden Ancient (Druid card that with X/X stats where X is the mana spent). This is pretty crazy with Brann, getting more and more undercoated the more mana you spend on it. Kinda gimmicky, but it might see play somewhere.

Does this work? Surely on the second battlecry you spend 0 mana and get no more stats?
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2016, 05:45:10 pm »

Does this work? Surely on the second battlecry you spend 0 mana and get no more stats?

Oh maybe. That's too bad.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2016, 06:10:07 pm »
+1

He's right -- it won't work with Brann.

One thing to remember is that you can have more mana to spend than crystals by casting Innervate first, so that's a bonus 2/2 for 0 mana.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2016, 07:19:11 pm »
+1

One thing to remember is that you can have more mana to spend than crystals by casting Innervate first, so that's a bonus 2/2 for 0 mana.

Pretty sure Innervate doesn't work like that.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2016, 07:27:50 pm »

Pretty sure Innervate doesn't work like that.

It certainly didn't work like that when I assumed that it did and tried to play Ysera and hero power on the same turn that one time (naturally, playing Ysera and hero power would still have been perfectly possible with Innervate, but not the way I tried to do it).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.